D-spec shaft nut tightening. HELP - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
D-spec shaft nut tightening. HELP
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:52 AM
Im installing my d-specs and sportlines on my 03 cavalier right now and i dont know how to stop the shaft from spinning while i tighten the nut. How is this accomplished??

Please help ASAP!

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Re: D-spec shaft nut tightening. HELP
Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:57 PM
On the fronts put the car on the ground. For the rears use a vice grip on the top...

Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:46 AM
i asked this same question a lil while ago (thank you john) and if you release the spring a little bit and put some pressure on the mount they shouldn't spin, let me know what works best i still needed to put mine together
Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:20 AM

your welcome, but yeah, start the nut on by hand, then release the spring compressor some to put pressure against the mount, this will help keep the strut shaft from turning. If it is a plastic lined lock nut, and you are tightening by hand....you may still have difficulties.

I used an open end socket with the appropriate allen key, or smaller socket depending on brand, to hold the shaft in place while tightening. If going with this tecnique, leave all the tension OFF the mount, and have the spring fully compressed.

Saturday, February 07, 2009 12:12 AM
Ok, i got it. Got it all installed by myself in about 9-10 hours. Just used an impact wrench extremely carefully.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search