after thought of doing NWF front brakes... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
after thought of doing NWF front brakes...
Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:28 PM
well, I finished my swap about 10 days ago or so and I thought I would post my findings from the swap, some good and one bad that I can't explain. Well to start off with, the instructions are really easy to follow on this site and make the job look much harder than it really is. Once you actaully get to the wrecker and start grabbing parts it all falls together and makes perfect sense. Putting the setup on was also simple, the only 2 things maybe I over looked while reading but picked up on while doing the swap was that you need to a)drill the Spindle for the camaro caliper (but it is through aluminum so it was really easy) and b) you have to grind 2 bolts about 1/4" shorter cause they just rub the rotors, both of which were very simple obsticales.

Installation was as simple as unbolt and remove everything, swap over, bolt your stock brake lines up and bleed the brakes, and the braking is 10 fold better... maybe a little grabby at first, but nothing some brakeclean didn't fix. stops from 100mph to a dead stop are really quick and easily controlled with pedal feel much smoother and more consistant, no brake fade when I did 0-100-0-100-0-100-0, when with the stock I lost brakes after about 0-100-0-100-50ish.. and the pedal was dead.. so as far as stopping distance everything is better.

Now on to the reason I am posting this huge useless article... the CON(s) the first big noticible item was under full boost acceleration I have really bad torque steer to the left, it is easily controllable with a hand on the wheel, but you better have a decent grip. I am not sure if this is due to unsprung weight increase, or more rotating mass, I honestly have no idea. And the second small thing (I mean really small) is that I find a need to have the bolt patterns all the same. I have done a little research and looked at the setup and I think it should be fairly easy to simply redrill the bearing and rotor and run them back to 5x100. If that doesn't work I will be going to a GAGT rear setup to match 5x115 on all corners.

Any thoughts on why I might have torque steer now?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Re: after thought of doing NWF front brakes...
Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:42 PM
You left something loose.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:44 PM
thats all been double checked already, wheel alignment is done, just really bad to the left.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Saturday, May 03, 2008 5:35 PM
Thats odd man, Mine actually drives better now with the NWF swap.

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Saturday, May 03, 2008 10:21 PM
hmmmm, interesting

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:32 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:...I have done a little research and looked at the setup and I think it should be fairly easy to simply redrill the bearing and rotor and run them back to 5x100...

One of the aftermarket hub/bearing assemblies (I can't remember which, but it's in the NFW sticky, probably around the 3rd or 4th page) comes with a 5x100mm pattern already drilled, you just need to swap the studs over from the 5x115 holes. The only thing is that you still have a 70mm hub bore, not the factory J-body 57mm bore.

For the torque steer, I can't imagine why you are having the problem. There is no reason that it should increase.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:36 PM
thanks, I will take a closer look for that. Yah from what I have seen it sounds like the stock rim wouldn;t clear the 12" rotor assembly.. so I don't necassarily need the stock rims to fit, but something has come up and I mit be getting rid of the car, so I would like at least the pattern to be the same on all the wheels.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:49 PM
did you tell the alignment shop you were getting tq steer ? and which way ? did you algn it AFTER the brakes , or just before ? a good shop should be able to correct it with the alignment if they know about it

every 5spd cav ive driven has had some tq steer some worse some better , welcome to fwd with unequal length half shafts

Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:45 PM
yah, it's all aligned, oh well... things came up, it might actually be going back to stock, and selling the car, it was a fun swap though, lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search