Clunking from front end when hits bumps? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clunking from front end when hits bumps?
Monday, April 28, 2008 1:44 AM
I have a 2003 cavalier LS sport. recently changed my front shocks and now when I go over bumps I hear a clunking sound coming from the engine bay right side area. I originally thought it was the control arm, so I changed it on that side and it didn't fix the problem. Then I read that it may be the sway bar bushings, so I changed them. Still no change. Im thinking now that it may be the strut mounts. Maybe they arent tight enough (going to try that theory tomorrow), or they might be bad altogether and I need new ones. Any thoughts suggestions? Its really annoying to hear that sound every time I hit even the smallest bump.

Re: Clunking from front end when hits bumps?
Monday, April 28, 2008 3:32 AM
Sounds like bad strut mounts to me.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 28, 2008 4:26 AM
welcome to the world of crappy j-body strut mounts. I went through 3 sets on my cavalier, and now my 04 sunfire is starting the same @!#$ up front.

Gotta love it.... / sarcasm.

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:05 AM
Strut mount would be my guess!

Monday, April 28, 2008 12:32 PM
Well what about if you just replaced the stut mounts and same issue? I just put a set of KYB mounts and I'm still getting clunking.

Sorry for the hijack, but just trying to combine threads.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Monday, April 28, 2008 11:08 PM
Thats ok dude. I tightened them down today past torque specs and the sound pretty much went away. So for now it's pretty good, but I might have to replace them in the near future. I just dont understand why when tightened to spec they were making that sound, but when I went way past it where I couldn't move anymore it went away. I know why, but why such crappy parts? is chevy retarded?
Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:04 AM
I think they are... I don't know what mine are torqued to but they're tighter than spec. I also think my stock struts might be shot, causing the clunking. It only happens when it's cold out so who knows.

Dan Trump

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:26 AM
Jeff Hunsberger wrote: I know why, but why such crappy parts? is chevy retarded?

look at the j-body motor mounts. they are crap from the factory. when my car was brand new you can hear the motor slapping around when you hit the gas.

these arent high performance cars....(performance sold separately)
Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:57 AM
No, Chevy isnt retarted, you and other people simply dont get parts wear out.

I have 60,000 on my 04, origianl mounts, if they failed tomorrow, so what, slap some new mounts on, problem solved

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:18 PM
Just out of curiousity... can anyone explain exactly what causes the clunking noise? I know the sound... and I know that replacing the mount can make it go away... but have no idea what exactly goes wrong. The mount is basically a steel plate set in a molded rubber bushing and held within a bigger steel housing that's then bolted to the car. Not much that can go wrong there.

On my original Sunfire, I had a mount go bad and get replaced under warranty. My current one's got over 100k km's on it and never had an issue. Just luck I suppose.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:47 PM
I've got about 3,000 miles on my new mounts and I have clunking. The springs are stock but the stock struts are junk too. I'm sure they're making the noise.

And I agree, there isn't much to a strut mount and it also doesn't have much travel considering the spring compressed it against the inside of the strut tower.

Dan Trump

Thursday, May 29, 2008 6:52 PM
Hate to kind of bring this back but I just installed D-specs, sportlines, and prothane control arm bushings a few weeks ago and i get a nasty clunk sometimes when I get on or off the gas/shifting/braking. Also pulling into driveways sometimes. I would have guess control arm bushings if they werent brand new, and my mechanic would have definitely told me if the strut mounts were gone while he had it all apart. All I can think of is a motor mount possibly other than that I dont know. Any suggestions?
Friday, May 30, 2008 3:11 PM
I know with mine I have koni reds and GC coliovers, I had to replace the strut mounts just recently and mine still clunked, I found out I had to replace the bearing also so I ordered new bearings and thrust washers so when they get here and I install them I will give an update

also if you replaced the mounts and still get clunking, it could very well be your Control arm bushings

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:57 AM
And good luck with control arm bushings. They are dang hard to replace. Even if you go the easy way and just replace the control arm, your still in for a hard job. But if your willing to put in the time it's way cheaper than taking it somewhere and getting it done. Oh and I replaced my strut mounts and clunking went away....wish I would have tried that first and saved myself some money replacing other parts I didnt need to.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search