ground controls and koni yellows - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ground controls and koni yellows
Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:58 PM
hello everyone, i have a couple questions about this setup, 1. do you use the stock boots for the struts? 2. do you grind the front top strut mount on the underside? the rears are fine but the fronts seem a little high all the way down on the coilovers, any pis of the setup off the car would be great,
thanks
jason
gmto2nr

Re: ground controls and koni yellows
Monday, April 28, 2008 8:40 AM
No strut boots. They won't fit in the smaller springs of the coilovers. You may find some aftermarket ones that fit, but I've just never used any.

For the mounts... I ground mine around the lip on the bottom to allow better contact with the binding and prevent binding of the top hat. I really don't much like the design there, but haven't really come up with a solution to make it better.

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:37 AM
i didn't use the top hats at all will that make a difference you think? also what does the top of the front spring sit on if you grind that down, and did you grind it flush with the lower part of the mount?
thanks
jason

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:32 PM
How are you not using the top hats?? What's holding the spring in place? Did you keep the lower half of the stock mount, with the bearing in place or is the spring jammed up against the mount?

If the spring is jammed against the mount without any bearing, you're gonna be in a world of hurt. You should have the GC top hat with the GC bearings pressed against the stock mount.

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:07 PM
the bearing is the washer looking thing with slashes in it? and ya i didn't use the top hats on the front or rear, i still have them and have not driven the car with the suspension this way, you dont have pics of the setup off your car do you??
thanks
jason

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:22 PM
There are no top hats in the rear. Are you sure you've got Ground Controls?

The bearing is 3 pieces. There's two races and the bearing itself. The bearing races are essentially hardened, machined, washers that are the same size as the bearing and provide a smooth surface for the bearing to turn on. The bearing should be sandwiched between the top hat and the mount. I sometimes put a couple thicker washers up in the mount as well to allow for better contact with the bearings as the shaft can move within the mount and bind them to the side of it.

Sorry... I don't have pics... but my explanation is pretty good.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search