Smoothing Calipers? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Smoothing Calipers?
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 3:22 PM
Hey everyone --

Im going to need to get a new caliper for my passenger side.

Im wondering if it is a good (safe) Idea to smooth the outside of them for paint? I have mine painted now, but they look shotty to me because the surface of them is rough. I dont know what I would use to smooth them, sanding or something, wire wheel, I dont know.

I just wanna make sure I wont hurt the calipers by doing this. I wanna be able to stop!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Smoothing Calipers?
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 3:27 PM
You can take the calper apart and buy a rebuild kit. That way when its apart most of the damageable pieces are out of the way.
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:03 PM
1/4 die grinder and a carbide cutter/burr then sand .

see ya!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:33 PM
A good powdercoat will fill in the gaps too, plus the paint would be more durable.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 2:56 PM
VanquisherOfTheVariance (Zach) wrote:A good powdercoat will fill in the gaps too, plus the paint would be more durable.

Powdercoating a stock J-body caliper would have to be one of the biggest wastes of time and money.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:01 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:
VanquisherOfTheVariance (Zach) wrote:A good powdercoat will fill in the gaps too, plus the paint would be more durable.

Powdercoating a stock J-body caliper would have to be one of the biggest wastes of time and money.

Some would say that modifying anything on a j-body would be a big waste of time and money...

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:27 PM
And there's a lot of truth to that lol But a regular brush-on paint, or even spray on would be more than sufficient. For all the work involved in taking it all apart, paying however much to have them powder coated...just not worth it IMO. A Baer or Willwood piece on the other hand, that's more worth it, but a stock one? Naw.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Thursday, April 03, 2008 5:13 AM
To each their own. I understand where you are coming from and I will probably use a spray but for people like me who know they will never get anywhere past 220 hp on this car is it truly needed to get bigger brakes? of course it is better and makes things safer but Like me I plan on converting to rear disc and getting better pad and rotor and know that is all I need.
Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:40 AM
there's a thread in here somewhere that shows how someone (I can't remember now) smoothed out their calipers. I'll see if I can find it.

here's one:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=110138&t=110017&p=1

the pics don't work, but maybe you can PM the OP for the pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:44 AM

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search