dspecs best adjustment - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dspecs best adjustment
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:37 PM
Im getting ready to get my dspecs, and im just wondering before i put them on..what adjustment do you all like the best? I have 20's on my cav, so i dont want it very stiff..but at the same time i dont want it really bouncy...is there a setting that you all really like the best? Any help would be appriciated! thanks.

Re: dspecs best adjustment
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:49 PM
With my 18 inch wheels and Sportlines, I usually have the D-Specs somewhat soft, at around 4 or 5 turns off full hard. Normally slightly stiffer in the front, to help with turn-in response.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:05 PM
Thanks geeky..another thing..how does the adjustments work? is it pretty well indicated and self-explanatory?

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:50 AM
wow...what size are your tires? looks like you have none. that must feel like riding on wagon wheels
Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:02 AM
225/30/20..not much there..but its about all i can do with being lowered..its not toooo bad..but with dspecs im hoping to have it ride a little better!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:51 AM
97&04cfcavy(now just 04) wrote:Thanks geeky..another thing..how does the adjustments work? is it pretty well indicated and self-explanatory?

The D-Specs come with a "special" tool for adjustments. It is a low-profile allen/hex-key with a knob grip on the end, marked and notched on one edge so that you can feel how many rotations you've applied without even looking at it. The struts themselves have a screw-on cap on top, which onces removed reveals a recessed "screw" that receives this hex tool. The fronts are no problem to access, though the rears usually require you to spend a couple of minutes slumped over your back bumper in an undignified position. Still beats taking them off the car. If you turn the screw clockwise (tighten it) until it stops, this is the hardest/stiffest setting for the strut. From there you have 7-1/2 "turns" of available adjustability in the counter-clockwise direction. (Going further risks unthreading the screw altogether, though it should go right back in if this happens by mistake.)

With 20" wheels, you'll probable tend toward the softer settings for daily driving, but will probably want to stay away from the extreme end to avoid too much bounciness or wavy handling. Use the stiffer settings on perfect roads or tracks, or if you want to cause back injuries. ;D

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:52 AM
awesome thanks....can i adjust them before i put them on?..im probaly going to go about 3.5 turns out of the 7.5 counter-clockwise...maybe 4 turns? That would be about right in the middle sounds like it.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 7:59 AM
You can certainly make the adjustment ahead of time. I think they ship full-hard, which could be a nasty surprise if you forget to change them before the test drive.

It can be tempting to try something new every 15 minutes, but it's usually a good idea to spend some time with each new setting before moving on. The "break in" for the first few weeks can also make it difficult to settle on a particular adjustment initially.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:12 AM
ok cool thanks...then ill just turn them a few times before putting them on..do you typically have the front setting the same as the back? Thanks for the info man!

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:37 AM
ya i got mine at full hard front, and 5 turns softer in the back... the rears just kill you if they are any stiffer

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2267189
Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:41 AM
I usually keep the fronts about one turn stiffer than the rears, regardless of the overall setting.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:42 AM
i have my fronts 4 turns from full hard and the rears 3.5 turns from full hard.

softer fronts, stiffer rears = "over steer"
stiffer fronts, softer rears = "under steer"

according to the manual

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:04 PM
also their is a 500 mile breakin period where you are sapose to set the to 5 turns down from full hard. mine are still on stock. I might turn them up for the ride home.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:05 PM
evilmonkitar wrote:i have my fronts 4 turns from full hard and the rears 3.5 turns from full hard.

according to the manual

True enough, but I try not to invoke drift slides during my 5 km commute. It's no surprise that I enjoy a sub-optimal track setup for daily driving.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:07 PM
Geeky wrote:
evilmonkitar wrote:i have my fronts 4 turns from full hard and the rears 3.5 turns from full hard.

according to the manual

True enough, but I try not to invoke drift slides during my 5 km commute. It's no surprise that I enjoy a sub-optimal track setup for daily driving.

lol yea firm is a little harsh on the crappy roads around here, but i enjoy the snug handling

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Friday, March 28, 2008 6:27 AM
mines 4 rear. 31/2passenger 31/4 driver for the front. i like it.

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:46 PM
Geeky wrote:I think they ship full-hard, which could be a nasty surprise if you forget to change them before the test drive.

Haha, I did that... drove 35 mins home, then 15 mins to work and then back on full stiff after being accustomed to stock suspension.... ooooooooooOOOO that was not pleasant haha.

I usually have mine at 4-4.5 front, 5-5.5rear

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Friday, March 28, 2008 10:13 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:I usually have mine at 4-4.5 front, 5-5.5rear

cool...does it bounce around like a bouncy ball or ride pretty nice at that..thats the setting im thinking about doing..my struts should be in next week so hopefully ill get them on quickly

Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:16 PM
ive got mine set at what tokico reccomends for the break in period and am very happy with the handling and ride quailty.. i kinda lost my adjustment tool so i cant really change em, but i contacted tokico and they said they might be able to send me one for free...

------
http://corpsemangler.fortunecity.com
Saturday, March 29, 2008 5:07 PM
cOrpsemangler wrote:ive got mine set at what tokico reccomends for the break in period and am very happy with the handling and ride quailty.. i kinda lost my adjustment tool so i cant really change em, but i contacted tokico and they said they might be able to send me one for free...

If you're happy with the ride, that's great. Otherwise I doubt you would have trouble just using a standard "L-shaped" hex key of the same size. I've always kept my adjustment tool on my keychain -- so at the very least I won't lose the "holder", though the key itself likes to come loose from time to time.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:06 PM
what does tokico recommend for the break in period?

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:56 PM
97&04cfcavy(now just 04) wrote:ok cool thanks...then ill just turn them a few times before putting them on..do you typically have the front setting the same as the back? Thanks for the info man!

BEFORE YOU INSTALL THEM, HAVE THEM IN FULL HARD. ONCE IN THE CAR, AND ON THE GROUND...4 TURNS COUNTERCLOCK ON EACH ONE AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

**fresh**

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 3:15 PM
i just got mine put on, tried them at 4 full turns from firm, LOVE it so far. the slotted brakes and ceramic pads made a huge difference too. Can't wait for some decent rubber.
Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:53 AM
Tokico reccoments 4 turns from firm on both front and back for break-in if anyone was wondering.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search