Adjustable Ride Height? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adjustable Ride Height?
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:47 PM
I'd like to upgrade my '98 Sunfire coupe to a suspension that allows for ride height adjustability but I'm a noob to suspension so I'm looking for advice. I don't know which systems allow ride height adjustability. Been looking at the Koni Yellows and Tokico D-Specs, and some coil-overs on Gravana and http://www.extremeturbosystems.com and to be honest I'm just confused as to which ones allow you to adjust ride height. I know the Konis let you adjust damping but not sure about ride height.

I'm not picky about ride quality (seriously, you're talking to a guy who has driven 2000 miles in two days on a crotch rocket) and I don't want to spend over $750 if possible, but I'll go up to $850 if necessary. I know better than to get the cheap Ebay crap and I want to do this right. I am looking at this.

At $850 shipped it's at the top of my price range and I'm open to better deals on it if anyone knows where else to look but I think $850 is decent for that. I noticed it says "95-99Model Need to buy 00-04 Top Mt. & Upper S/P Seat" and I'm sorry to be unknowledgeable but can you fill me in on where to get that, what exactly it is, what it would cost, and how hard it is to install? I will have help from a mechanically inclined friend but don't want to impose on him too much.

I read in the Suspension FAQ the Koni Yellows (lowest price I found for them was $590 shipped) require some modification. I see people on here say it's not hard but again I am not very good with this stuff and don't want to impose too much on my help.

The reason I want the ride height adjustability is that I want to be able to slam it pretty low—3" too much?—at times (long freeway trips etc.) but lift it back up to reasonable levels for driving on the rough roads around where I live.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Re: Adjustable Ride Height?
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:59 PM
BTW I see 2.5" is the biggest drop available from most kits ... that's ok.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:11 PM
I have been looking at tein for a while, but i think i would spend the extra 150 on gravana coilovers.

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:15 PM
Make that $200 extra, found the Tein basic set for just under $800 shipped:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/dsg90-luss2.asp

Also, everywhere I look, it lists this as being for the Cavalier. It will work for a '98 Sunfire as well, correct?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:11 AM
coilovers let you adjust ride height.

drop springs do not.

go with gravana powergrips or tein super streets. the basics are nice, but you don't get the hot ass pillowball mounts

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:58 AM
Every time you adjust ride height, you're going to need to adjust the alignment. Unless you use a camber plate, and somehow make the toe quickly adjustable. Coil-over will adjust your ride height, but its not meant to happen frequently, or without adjusting other things at the same time.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:17 AM
I don't know about the 2nd gens (thought I think they're the same) but this isn't the case for 3rd gens.

When adjusting the ride height with coilovers within the normal drivable range, you don't need an alignment. It's a linear adjustment and, due to the car's geometry, has no drastic effect on camber or toe settings.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:03 AM
Thanks for the input Skwirl but if it's over $850, it's not in my price range. I don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to change the car's height and have a good quality, safe suspension. What are the benefits of the pillow mounts?

Can anyone else chime in on whether or not changing the ride height requres an alignment, since we have two conflicting opinions here?

Thanks everyone!
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:39 PM
TIGR wrote:Thanks for the input Skwirl but if it's over $850, it's not in my price range. I don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to change the car's height and have a good quality, safe suspension

Unfortunately, if you want a good quality, safe suspension, you'll have to shell out that kind of cash. That's the cold hard truth. Best bet is to score a used set off someone that may be going back to stock or changing to an air setup or something. That's the ONLY way to have what you want, and not pay that kind of money.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:52 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:
TIGR wrote:Thanks for the input Skwirl but if it's over $850, it's not in my price range. I don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to change the car's height and have a good quality, safe suspension

Unfortunately, if you want a good quality, safe suspension, you'll have to shell out that kind of cash. That's the cold hard truth. Best bet is to score a used set off someone that may be going back to stock or changing to an air setup or something. That's the ONLY way to have what you want, and not pay that kind of money.

So you would say that the Tein Basic Coilover setup is not a good quality, safe suspension?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:39 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:When adjusting the ride height with coilovers within the normal drivable range, you don't need an alignment. It's a linear adjustment and, due to the car's geometry, has no drastic effect on camber or toe settings.

I agree 100%.... When i had air bags on my car i had the shop do the alignment at ride height then check the alignment when it was all the way up and slammed... the difference between slammed and full height was very little. I was told it wasn't enough to even notice tire wear after 25,000km.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:03 PM
Thanks sleepy, that's what I needed (and wanted =P) to hear.

Can anyone else chime in on whether or not the Tein Basic Coilover (DSG90-LUSS2) is good quality and safe, and whether or not this is a good price:

And if anyone has leads on a better setup for what I want to do at that price ($850 shipped) or less, please let me know.

Finally, I'm still wondering what exactly I need to get (Tein description says it needs "00-04 Top Mt. & Upper S/P Seat"), where to get it, and what the cost is for installing the Tein on my '98 coupe.

Thanks a lot all.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:04 PM
Whoops, can't edit my above post but the Tein Basic is $800 shipped, not $850. I'd be happy to hear about any place it's cheaper, though $800 seems good for it.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:06 PM
get the tein basic if you want good affordable set up I run them and love them but will be upgrading to the tein ss dampers

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:11 PM
Satch, will you be selling your old setup? Or selling just the struts? Are you looking for a sportier setup with the SSs or is there another benefit to the SS? Thanks much.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:14 PM
I'll be getting the full ss setup and replacing everything.

Reason im getting the ss is because more adjustable and the joys of EDFC.

I love my basics but just want something more.

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:16 PM
In case it helps, they're on sale here:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/dsg90-2uss4.asp

Are you going to sell your basics?
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:20 PM
TIGR wrote:Thanks sleepy, that's what I needed (and wanted =P) to hear.

Can anyone else chime in on whether or not the Tein Basic Coilover (DSG90-LUSS2) is good quality and safe, and whether or not this is a good price:

And if anyone has leads on a better setup for what I want to do at that price ($850 shipped) or less, please let me know.

Finally, I'm still wondering what exactly I need to get (Tein description says it needs "00-04 Top Mt. & Upper S/P Seat"), where to get it, and what the cost is for installing the Tein on my '98 coupe.

Thanks a lot all.

the tein basics are a great setup for the money. i've been running that setup since november and before that I had been using the gravana setup for 2 years. i have no complaints about the basics. it's a great setup for a daily driver. you'll need to purchase the 00+ front strut mounts, your local auto parts store should have them in stock. that's what the tein description is referring to.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:24 PM
Thanks AT1A5, any idea what those front mounts cost? Just a general idea I mean.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:26 PM
sorry forgot to answer you on that yes id be up for selling once i get the ss

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:41 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:sorry forgot to answer you on that yes id be up for selling once i get the ss

PM sent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:51 PM

Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:51 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:I don't know about the 2nd gens (thought I think they're the same) but this isn't the case for 3rd gens.

When adjusting the ride height with coilovers within the normal drivable range, you don't need an alignment. It's a linear adjustment and, due to the car's geometry, has no drastic effect on camber or toe settings.

Ok, its probably because of the knuckle steer setup and low mounted rack on 3rd gens. Ours steering arms are about halfway up the strut, so a 1" change in height is a big deal with toe. I've never run a 3rd gen up and down before and checked the alignment, but everything else I've done will change toe by about 1/2-1* either way in the normal travel range. Not a ton, but with sticky tires, its noticable.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search