Performance Pads and OEM Rotors? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Performance Pads and OEM Rotors?
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:10 PM
I was thinking of going with Axxis semi-metallic or ceramic pads when I do my brakes in a bit. I just want a little extra stopping power, I don't do autocross or anything. Would it be safe to put performance pads on with re-manufactured OEM rotors? I don't want to have to tear brand new rotors up only to have to get performance ones anyway.

Re: Performance Pads and OEM Rotors?
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:12 PM
reman rotors?? never heard of those. get a good set of brembo rotors.

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:20 PM
Maybe their not re-manufactured i'm not sure, it's the ones Autozone has. These
Friday, February 15, 2008 5:34 PM
They are pretty cheap, just dont expect them to last very long.
Friday, February 15, 2008 6:18 PM
So the pads will probably eat them up? I don't want to spend the extra money on powerstops if I don't have to. Brake fade is not a problem on a daily driver. I just want some rotors that will hold up to aggressive pads without spending unnecessary money.
Friday, February 15, 2008 6:52 PM
as i said brembo rotors are your best bet. they are an excelent stock rotor. ie no slots dimples, or holes they were my third choice after my bears and powerslots.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:55 AM
steve white wrote:They are pretty cheap, just dont expect them to last very long.

They're the same price as every other parts store rotor, and they all work just fine.

Just because a rotor costs alot doesn't mean its going to be better or last any longer than any other rotor. I ran EBC pads on parts store rotors for years with no issues. I've also run Brembo rotors and they've performed the same as the generic ones. Most rotors will all do the exact same thing, its only when you get into the exotic stuff (special coatings and alloys, two piece, different materials like carbon, etc).

You'll be fine using whatever pads you want with those rotors and what you plan on doing with your car.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:13 AM
Awesome, thanks so much.
Saturday, February 16, 2008 9:17 AM
One last question: Are braided lines just braided lines? Theres a company on ebay that makes them, and then theres the name brand RKsports for twice the price, is it smarter to go with the name brand?
Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:52 AM
the steel braided lines don't expand like rubber ones can. Honestly, if you just want some better stopping power, get some steel braided lines and some good brake fluid. The stock pads and rotors are more than enough to stop your car.

Infantry!!!
Monday, February 18, 2008 6:06 PM
If it's a DD, get the lifetime warranty pads and rotors from your parts store.

I'm assuming you don't use the Interstate on-and-off-ramps as testing locations for your braking and suspension setup, however...

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:11 PM
Occasionally I like to have some fun in my car. I've put a ton of money into it, and I enjoy taking advantage of it sometimes. I would like to be able to stop better, but theres no need for an 'extreme' brake setup because I don't auto cross.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search