cutting stock springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cutting stock springs
Monday, May 14, 2007 9:44 AM
ok so i'm trying 2 cut my stock springs 2 lower my car like an inch and a half may b 2 i'm aware that dropping it will ruin my alignment does anybody know how mych i should cut off my stock springs so it will ride right ????

4 door civic on the way i need a daily driver

Re: cutting stock springs
Monday, May 14, 2007 9:50 AM
you can't do that. it will ride like complete ass and be unsafe. and lowering the car does mess with your alignment.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:51 AM
Dude don't even try that......so unsafe....and every bump you hit you will hit your head on the roof.
Monday, May 14, 2007 9:53 AM
damn it guess it's a good thing i only got one spring clamped not even cut yet

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:55 AM
check the classifieds for springs

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, May 14, 2007 10:19 AM
do not cheap out on suspension. its a major component to a car. cheaping out can only lead to bad things and risk the safey of you and other in or around the car.

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:21 AM
Your username is very ironic.

John Piparo: I have an erection!! You guys are turning me on!
Monday, May 14, 2007 10:33 AM
if your going to cut them save the springs and just remove them.

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:35 AM
ur kidding right

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:44 AM
yes that would be a joke. please ready the sticky before you attempt to modify your suspension

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:22 PM
Just lop a coil off the top.

Seriously, the springs are very soft and you will be bottoming out too easily if you reduce their length. Nobody is going to reccomend you halfass your suspension. Springs are cheap. It is the struts you need to save for if you want a car that handles decent.

Monday, May 14, 2007 3:39 PM
Ever heard of Hooke's Law?

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Monday, May 14, 2007 3:53 PM
I say cut em.

Monday, May 14, 2007 4:24 PM
cuttin springs is the dumbest thing to ever do , even heating the springs to lower the car is dumb but hey they did it back in the 50's and 60's to lower there cars . i got RK sport springs off Ebay for 80 bucks , dont be cheap , buy springs

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Monday, May 14, 2007 5:42 PM
ok well the way i c it i have extra springs layin around nd i think i wanna try it just 2 c wut it looks like thank u 4 ur opinions and if i like the look the next step would b to actually buy the right ones w/ the struts

Monday, May 14, 2007 6:02 PM
please listen to the guy's who are fuc*in' with ya,that's why I keep rockin' the 4x4 stance because I'm savin' to do the right kind of drop.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:55 AM
cassidy mort wrote:ok well the way i c it i have extra springs layin around nd i think i wanna try it just 2 c wut it looks like thank u 4 ur opinions and if i like the look the next step would b to actually buy the right ones w/ the struts

well we can only give you the advice, what you plan to do it your choice. glad you dont live near me.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:52 AM
hey thanx guyz i appreciate ur input

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:04 AM
cassidy mort wrote:ok well the way i c it i have extra springs layin around nd i think i wanna try it just 2 c wut it looks like thank u 4 ur opinions and if i like the look the next step would b to actually buy the right ones w/ the struts

Fixed:

cassidy mort wrote:OK, well the way I see it is that I have extra springs laying around. I think I want to try it just to see what it looks like. Thank you for your opinions. If I like the look, the next step would be to actually buy the right springs with struts.

Just...no. You fail.

This is not cell phone text messaging, or even instant messenger, you can and are encouraged to fully type out words. Punctuation is also very, very helpful in making it so that others can understand the question you are asking.

People have cut their springs and gotten away with it. It is not worth it. Wait, save up and buy proper (not dropzone or cheap crap off Ebay) springs and struts, your car will drive the better for it. Look at pictures around here, and attend a car show or two (Fun things to do anyway, right?) to get an idea what a lowered J-body looks like. (Lowered about two inches looks very nice, and puts your suspension geometry at a more ideal point.)

Taking your suspension apart to lower it will require an alignment when you get done. On the J-body you only have to align the front wheels, the rear end has no adjustment aside from height, which you change by using different height springs.

My personal recommendation is the Koni Sport Kit suspension, it is what I used and it was awesome. Spendy, but awesome. I bought it shortly before Gravana came out with their coilover setup, which I hear is even better yet (Also more money).

You can do well with KYB AGX struts and Eibach springs I understand, it should give you a smoother ride than the Koni setup as well as a nice upgrade in handling. The Koni kit sacrifices some comfort for more performance.

Do not cheap out on the suspension, it will cost you more in the end, be it damage, or just getting sick of it and having to pay to do it right the second time around.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:04 AM
do that @!#$ and find youself replacing struts and a new alignment and possibly a whole new suspension, ive been there i was dumb when i first got my j and wanted it lowered we heated the springs and before long the struts started shooting bearings out like crazy!!! man just go to ebay and buy a cheap set of coil-overs or somthing and do it at least somewhat right.

hondas are like tampons.....every pu$$y needs one...
mildly built 99' ln2, eagle h-beam rods, wiseco forged alum. pistons, cusco oil catch, t3/t4 super 60 garret, tial 40 mm wastegate, hp tuners, prothane mount inserts, 2.5" exhaust.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:14 AM
2_low_4_fat_hoes wrote:do that @!#$ and find youself replacing struts and a new alignment and possibly a whole new suspension, ive been there i was dumb when i first got my j and wanted it lowered we heated the springs and before long the struts started shooting bearings out like crazy!!! man just go to ebay and buy a cheap set of coil-overs or somthing and do it at least somewhat right.

guess you didnt learn. is it that difficult to mod a major component of a car correctly? i guess this is what happens when you own a cheap car, you get cheap owners too.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:28 AM
no but now im atleast running some lowering springs with koni yellows it rides fine but yea just thought i would give him a hint on a easy and somwhat cheap way to do it (hey its not my car)!!!!

hondas are like tampons.....every pu$$y needs one...
mildly built 99' ln2, eagle h-beam rods, wiseco forged alum. pistons, cusco oil catch, t3/t4 super 60 garret, tial 40 mm wastegate, hp tuners, prothane mount inserts, 2.5" exhaust.
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:29 AM
its not my car either but im not going to tell him to put junk on his car that is going to destroy his suspension and risk his safety all to look cool.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:30 AM
i found a brand on ebay.Is Rc factory any good they're adjustable and it's really cheap am i just wasting money if i buy this brand????

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:35 AM
The douchebaggery is strong in this thread.

Cassidy: Cheap, Fast, Reliable - Pick Two.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search