COBALT REAR BRAKES ON A CAVALIER - Suspension and Brake Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
COBALT REAR BRAKES ON A CAVALIER
Monday, October 23, 2006 1:33 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to use the rear disc brakes off of a 2006 cobalt, and use them on a 2003 cavalier. I have access to the entire rear of a 2006 cobalt and was wonding if it were possible. Or if it is too expensive to just get a rear brake conversion kit?

Re: COBALT REAR BRAKES ON A CAVALIER
Monday, October 23, 2006 1:48 PM
Bolt pattern for the wheels is different.

Monday, October 23, 2006 4:48 PM
the five lug bolt pattern is the same.
Monday, October 23, 2006 7:23 PM
Sean Cahill wrote:the five lug bolt pattern is the same.

No it's not smart ass. The Cavalier is 5x100 and the Cobalt is 5x114.3. Good try though.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, October 23, 2006 10:11 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:

No it's not smart ass. The Cavalier is 5x100 and the Cobalt is 5x114.3. Good try though.

yea, definitely good try, since you are also a dumbass providing wrong info. the ss models have a 5x110 pattern. dont post if you dont know wtf you're talking about. that goes for everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, October 23, 2006 10:16 PM
okay, just like the Neon swap... could the rear brackets be modified to work with our hub/bearing assembly?

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Monday, October 23, 2006 10:53 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:

yea, definitely good try, since you are also a dumbass providing wrong info. the ss models have a 5x110 pattern. dont post if you dont know wtf you're talking about. that goes for everyone.

Ok....5x110 LOL. I knew it wasn't 5x100 though. I get half credit.

The only reason he got attitude is because of what he gave me and my guys in another post. So chill.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:48 AM
Bottom line here is that there is nothing about the Cobalt rear brakes that makes them any easier to pick for parts than any other car with rear brakes.

It's a completely different platform.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:54 AM
when will people realize that a cavalier and a cobalt have NOTHING in common except the fact its made my gm. part swaps will not work.

cav = jbody platform
cobalt = delta platform

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:47 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:No it's not smart ass. The Cavalier is 5x100 and the Cobalt is 5x114.3. Good try though.

Jesus christ man, chill the @!#$ out and quit being the typical Jbo prick. He wasn't being a smart ass at all, just stating what he thought was correct...a$$hole.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:53 PM
i love this website

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:56 PM
Cadwz24(Projected1) wrote:i love this website

I can feel the love.

I think basically everyones saying, search first, look at others setups, majority of time with this platform, if it hasn't been done before, and you don't know how, then don't.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 4:13 PM
Lance Sharpe wrote:
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:No it's not smart ass. The Cavalier is 5x100 and the Cobalt is 5x114.3. Good try though.

Jesus christ man, chill the @!#$ out and quit being the typical Jbo prick. He wasn't being a smart ass at all, just stating what he thought was correct...a$$hole.

Boy you need to step off me.[/end black mode]

He wanted to get up on me and my buddies on here and in some emails so I'm getting on him. I'm allowed to do that. Don't like it...don't read it and post about it. Simple as that.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 4:24 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]when will people realize that a cavalier and a cobalt have NOTHING in common except the fact its made my gm. part swaps will not work.

cav = jbody platform
cobalt = delta platform

Most of us realized it a long time ago.... Just a few left, probably well suited to the Newbies forum

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 4:45 PM
Point for Hypsy.

Aren't the rear Delta platform brakes drums anyway?

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:30 PM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Point for Hypsy.

Aren't the rear Delta platform brakes drums anyway?

I'm fairly sure the SS/SC has discs, dunno about the base SS or LS models.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:43 PM
base ss has discs, the rear wheel bearing bolt pattern looks like a cavi bolt pattern as with the epsilon platform (malibu, g6) altho it looks as if the caliper bracket is part of a rear knuckle so using it on a j body wouldnt work without an assload of work and machining, i havnt had just a colbalt bearing to measure up to a cav bearing however since i thought about swapping front knuckles bearings and calipers and rear bearings rotors and making a custom caliper bracket so i could get some SS 18s
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:18 PM
since i can't seem to edit my post the knuckle thing was me thinking of an epslion car with IRS i can't remember what the caliper bracket on a cobalt looks like, i'll look into it all more when i go back to work
Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:24 PM
thanks for the info bro.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:31 PM
seanski wrote:since i can't seem to edit my post
Premium only perk.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:05 AM
Odd question, if he has access to the "entire rear end" of a cobalt, why not take the beam out of the Cobalt and put it in the place of the beam for the cavalier?

Granted it will be a little bit wider, and you may need to relocate the hanging points, but the struts and such should mount up. Would be efficient, but would still need different bolt patterns front and rear, and "Wider is better".

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:56 AM
god this thread is hopeless

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:28 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]god this thread is hopeless

No @!#$, eh?

Marchi1 wrote:Odd question, if he has access to the "entire rear end" of a cobalt, why not take the beam out of the Cobalt and put it in the place of the beam for the cavalier?

Granted it will be a little bit wider, and you may need to relocate the hanging points, but the struts and such should mount up. Would be efficient, but would still need different bolt patterns front and rear, and "Wider is better".

The rear setup on a Cobalt isn't like the rear of the Cavalier... the strut and spring are separate again (like the 2nd gens, but in slightly different positions). It's a complete waste of time for another solid beam axle.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:35 PM
yep....... the cobalt rear suspension is a step back in time....... like Lenko said, looks like 2nd Gen or even Beretta suspension....... you have to remember this platform has been around for awhile, just in Europe.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:35 PM
N-body rear swap ftw!

Independent rear + disc brakes =

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search