Parts for the older strut mounts - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Parts for the older strut mounts
Sunday, September 03, 2006 6:47 AM
Ok so i have been reading through post upon post about converting to 95-99 strut mounts. I am officially more confused now than i was before. From what i have red i need a pair of Monroe front strut mount kits. On top of this i need two Spring Seats part number 22130318 (from GMPartsDirect) and Two Washers part number 22172036 (also from GMPartsDirect). Is there anything else that i need to get this done? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Parts for the older strut mounts
Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:33 AM
You need mount kits that include the bearings, and the spring seats. You don't need anything else.
I would recommend spring insulators though. Don't know what those washers are (can't get into GMparts right now).

Sunday, September 03, 2006 10:50 AM
Where can i find the spring insulators? Ok i guess what i am asking is it specific to our cars or can i just go into autozone and ask for a spring insulator? All this stuff is new to me but i am learning...i really appreciate the help.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 1:58 PM
Ok first off C.T.S., When you mention the monroe kit with a bearing are you implying that it comes with a spring seat or i need to order a set of spring seats? The wording in your post can be interpreted two ways. Second when i mention the washer and part number i am pulling that information from this thread.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=110492&t=98019

Appently it is a washer that mounts to the top of the strut mount. Should be referenced the first time in the 12th post down (not including the add). From what i understand about the insulators they are the same for the 95-05 j-bodies and i think i can use my old insulator. If i cant then i have yet another question. Is the upper insulator part number 22128882 or 22134997? GMParts direct doesnt specify (one should be the upper insulator and the other should be the lower).

I drive an 04 base with a eibach proline kit and kyb agx shocks by the way.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:30 PM
The washer is part of the nut on the newer style. You can reuse it, or if your struts require a different nut, then you may need washers; they're nothing special, just a simple 9/16 washer.
The spring insulator is pn 22128882.

Also, in that thread, 3 posts up from the "you need washers" part:
C.T.S wrote:If you use the 00+ you need the nut with the washer built-in. 99- don't use the nut w/ washer built-in. They are built slightly differently, but are basically interchangable (with noted exceptions).
So the 99- have a nut and a washer. The 00+ have a nut/washer assembly.

Let me make this perfectly clear for anybody else reading up on converting.
To Convert from 00+ to the older (widely considered superior) 99- you need:
99- Strut mounts with Bearings (can be purchased separately if desired)
99- Spring Steat (GMpartsdirect.com pn 22130318; or from a yard)

Recomended:
New Spring Insulators (gmp: 22128882 top and 22134997 bottom).

Nothing else is necessary. You may need washers if you have aftermarket struts that don't come with washers already.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search