Eibach front sway bar HELP- pics here and needed - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eibach front sway bar HELP- pics here and needed
Monday, August 07, 2006 10:39 AM
ok so I started on the front and rear sway bars this weekend and front control arm bushings, got it basically all together and I noticed the bar is hitting the axles just lsightly while you turn the wheels! Putting the new one in I was very carefull to line it up with the factory one to make sure all the bends were being installed in the same dirrection as the OEM stuff. I'm think the back might be upside down? ubt thats exactly how the old one was installed. Both sides passenger side hits on the inner clamp of the outer cv boot, drivers side hits on the innner smallest ridge that sticks out. It might be just a hair off center from side side but it shouldn't hit from being off just a hiar, if it hit on one side and not the other . SO I'm hoping someone can snap a pic of the end links to see which way the bar bends go to see if it is upside down, I'll be pissed if i is caus elike I said thats exactly how the old one sat.

Wheels straight....

wheels turned.....

Re: Eibach front sway bar HELP- pics here and need
Monday, August 07, 2006 11:00 AM
according to mine its in upside down and abckwards the ends of my bars point down not up

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:13 AM
the way the bends in the bar itself are is exactly how the factory one was sitting....

this one sits the same but the end pieces are bent oposite dirrection

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:22 AM
i was wrong mine is in the way yours is but is not bent nearly that extreme

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:25 AM
Does it hit on the other side too? Might be off center.

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:30 AM
both side rub

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:34 AM
same

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:51 AM
my g/fs rubs only on the passenger side

if i remember i think the spacers are the wrong size in the front , the small 1's should be in the front and the tall 1's in the rear

also check and see if the bar is also rubbing on a-arm or rack bolts , i think my g/fs is and it makes noise when the front end twists while turning and going over bumps

Monday, August 07, 2006 11:53 AM
Im going to try to swap the spacers to the rear and I already shaved the bolt so it wont make noise

Monday, August 07, 2006 12:21 PM
eibach is out to lunch and they are gonna call me back ....after i switched the end links they both sit right ... the parts were probably packaged wrong but im still waiting for their tech department to get back to me

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:14 PM
which bolt on yours was close ?

i still gotta drop the sub-frame and fix her cav

let us know what eibach says

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:25 PM
both the bolts that go from the subframe to the stiring rack have the rounded tapered ends for centering the bolt going through... it was the drivers side right where the stiring column connects to the rack i used the cut off wheel to cut off a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch off ... that made it clear but it was only the drivers side that was hitting ... Ill reply back as soon as they call me back

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:27 PM
Lower the car, mine does the same thing with the car in the air (no weight on the suspension), mine only does that on the right side though, as for the bolt on the steering rack, i had to back out one of them (i think the right bolt if you're looking at the rack), to make the bar fit, but it tightened down just fine against the bar post installation. Lemme know what Eibach says though, its possible my bar is installed wrong too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 07, 2006 1:37 PM

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:36 PM
the level of the car shouldn't matter, if the suspension can travel that far the bar should clear that far. ANd you might not have read the whole thread but if you switch the front and rear end links (so the short ones are up front) it clears everythign just fine. I'm waiting for Eibach to call me back to see if they gave methe wrong parts or if they were just packaged wrong.

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:38 PM
Darkstars wrote:the level of the car shouldn't matter, if the suspension can travel that far the bar should clear that far. ANd you might not have read the whole thread but if you switch the front and rear end links (so the short ones are up front) it clears everythign just fine. I'm waiting for Eibach to call me back to see if they gave methe wrong parts or if they were just packaged wrong.

With that said about the height, if my car's suspension is that far in travel then im in trouble, cause i can move the springs a little with the car up.

Monday, August 07, 2006 1:45 PM
Ender_Wiggin wrote:
if my car's suspension is that far in travel then im in trouble

your absolutely right but that still doesn't mean its ok for it not to clear

Monday, August 07, 2006 2:29 PM
Have you never hit a large pothole?

Monday, August 07, 2006 3:03 PM
I had the same problem... I only had the front bar, so I couldn't swap the parts...

I used a grinder to round the end off the bar.... so it wouldn't hit any more... there's not much clearance, but it's enough and I've never had any problems.

Monday, August 07, 2006 3:54 PM
C.T.S wrote:Have you never hit a large pothole?
I try not to, but that would have to be a deep pot hole, im talking like feet of extention (probably like 18" or so, the springs are almost unseated from the bottom when i've got the car up, only thing holding it on is the strut. I would like to hear however, what Eibach's got to say.

Monday, August 07, 2006 3:56 PM
Eibach has not called back

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:47 AM
Darkstars wrote:Eibach has not called back

Anything new from them yet (ie have they called you or you call them back?)

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:35 AM
Ender_Wiggin wrote:
I try not to, but that would have to be a deep pot hole, im talking like feet of extention (probably like 18" or so, the springs are almost unseated from the bottom when i've got the car up, only thing holding it on is the strut. I would like to hear however, what Eibach's got to say.
18"?! Think about that for a minute. The whole strut only has a travel of 14".
At stock height the strut is compressed about 7-8". There's potholes around here that are 8" deep. I'd hate to have the axle or CV make contact with the sway bar going 60mph over a pothole.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 9:07 AM
i hope mine doesn t have this problem..its addco but still

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:59 AM
C.T.S wrote:
Ender_Wiggin wrote:
18"?! Think about that for a minute. The whole strut only has a travel of 14".
At stock height the strut is compressed about 7-8". There's potholes around here that are 8" deep. I'd hate to have the axle or CV make contact with the sway bar going 60mph over a pothole.

18" might have been exaggerated, but its about an inch or so from full travel when mine touches (98 2.4 with an Isuzu), the driver's side axle is shorter, I assume thats why it doesnt touch (less of an angle vs the pass. side) I've never hit something that deep with the car, and heaven forbid i ever did (sounds way way too deep IMO).

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:06 PM
They haven't returned the call yet. If by tonight still no reply I'm going to e-mail them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search