Tokiko D-Specs blew! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tokiko D-Specs blew!
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:18 AM
Yes, you heard right. The D-Specs blew. I bought them used with 10K miles on them. Apparently that was a bad idea but I can't change that now and I need to find a set of shocks. I know everyone says you can't use AGXs on more than a 1.5" drop, but let's be honest. How bad of an idea can a 1.8" drop possibly hurt them? I have no intention of racing this car anymore, I've turned my attention more toward my paintball team and this car is no more than a daily driver now. So seriously, warranty or no warranty, how bad of an idea can it really be? For those that don't know I'm running Sprint springs.

Re: Tokiko D-Specs blew!
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:26 AM
they cant really handle anything over 1.5" drop but a 1.8" drop would be ok for the time being. eventually they will blow like any other strut but i think if you dont abuse them you will be ok.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:33 AM
So what keeps them from handling the drop? I mean, they're made a lot like D-Specs are, with adjustable valving and such. I don't get why they're so much "weaker" over 1.5".

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:56 AM
Stop playing The Dukes of Hazzard and maybe this wouldn't have happened! JK dude. Well that sucks butt I just put my D-Specs on saturday and I love them ! Why not just buy them again, but this time new ones so you know how they were put in.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:31 PM
because the agx dont have the damping control that the d-specs can handle

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:39 PM
1.8 will eventually go down to over 2 inches is another factor you have to look at. gotta think about how much other weight thats in the car including driver, passengers, subs, etc...

when they do tests, most of the cars are not loaded with extras... its a small factor thats overlooked at times.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:02 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Terry, I'll bet you a phone book I can jump my Cavalier farther than you can jump yours But to answer your question, I can get AGXs for way less than I'll ever find D-Specs for and they should be fine for daily driving. I'm going to finish the car up with what parts I've got in the garage and call it done. Paintball was always where it was at for me and now that I've finally got another team put together I just don't have the time or energy for the Cavalier.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:27 PM
LMAO!!! I wouldn't jump it at all, too afraid it'd break in half ! You should have seen some of my jumps I did in my old 76 and 77 Monte Carlos ! I actualy broke the frame of the 77 car in 3 places and buckled the floor boards and the roof. Yes it was a big jump, Yes in looking back perhapps it was a bad idea, Yes it was awesome fun though.

And those are great reasons for not getting the D-Specs, but Art is 100% correct. You start adding weight and making it sit lower your AG's will wear out faster since they're gonna be at the limit if not past what they can handle. I'd raise it just a tad if I were you just to be safe, but if the cost of new springs and the AGX's put you past the D-Specs then I'd just get the D's and call it a day.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:37 PM
Yes, he did make a very good point. Weight I'm not so much worried about. All I have is the sub and amp and it all weighs in at less than 50 pounds. But as far as the drop, he makes a really good point that the springs will likely settle. But again, I know KYB doesn't warranty them for more than 1.5". That doesn't mean they'll definitely blow but I'm not ruling it out. Then again the Tokiko D-Specs blow with only 15K (I put 5K on them since I installed them). I know they only had 10K on them before because I'm the one who installed them on the car for the guy I bought them from. In retrospect he was pretty hard on that poor car...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:40 PM
Well there ya go! He trashed them and pawned them off on you. I'd get new ones and call it a day.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:48 PM
He never jumped his car like certain people I know. *cough*Terry*cough* LOL...
He autocrossed the car for a season, drove it to work every day. I seriously didn't think they'd be shot after a single season, I mean, they're D-Specs! When he put full coilovers on he asked me if I wanted to buy the D-Specs for $150. It was a total no-brainer at the time.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:51 PM
Just call me Bo Duke Seriously man I couldn't tell you I don't know how hard that beats on the struts or not. Ask Art he should know better then I would.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:24 PM
Eh, we'll see what happens. Maybe I can come up with the cash for the D-Specs and if not I'll try the AGXs and see what happens. Anything will be better than going back to stock. I've still got some new Gabriels that I never used but there's no way I'm putting those on.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:00 PM
my friend has had the AGX with the sportlines and he has not had one strut blow out.he has had them since the AGXS came out.so its been awhile
later james

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:08 PM
Arent the Dspecs warrantied? Since you know the person who bought them, have him warranty them out for you. Get a brand new set for free.

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:10 AM
OG Nick wrote:Arent the Dspecs warrantied? Since you know the person who bought them, have him warranty them out for you. Get a brand new set for free.

I'm not entirely sure if he got them from an authorized dealer or not. If he got them off eBay or something I doubt Tokiko will cover them. I know he ordered them online.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:53 AM
Ah. Well, theres no harm in trying though, right?

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:15 PM
Nope. No harm at all. I've been trying to get hold of him but he isn't answering his phone. He went down to Charlotte to spend some time with his kids and he was supposed to be back yesterday or today. He better be here our paintball team has practice tomorrow.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search