Brake fade... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brake fade...
Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:15 PM
Is there another answer other than big brakes? i cant spend 1k on bigger front brakes gang, Im getting some brake fade with my new found speed . Could a swap to grand prix parts make a diff? or are there any other solutions? I already have baer rotors and ceramic pads

Re: Brake fade...
Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:52 PM
Are you sure your experiencing brake fade? First make sure that your rear brakes are adjusted. On the back of the drum is a little slot, pull out the rubber grommet (flat one about 1 inch long). You should be able to use a screwdriver and feel around for a gear, click it in the direction it will move till your drums are snug and slightly hard to turn. When you put the wheels back on you should be able to spin them, but they'll stop after you let go. This will also make your e-brake super tight (about 3-4 clicks will be all thats needed) and your rear brakes will be properly adjusted. If your unsure of how to do this with the drum on, take off the drum and you'll see the gear you'll be turning. You can turn it there instead if you wish and just keep putting the drum back on till its snug.

Next bleed your brakes but your going to introduce yourself to the world of performance brake fluids.

My best and cheapest reccomendation is getting ATE Super Blue brake fluid, or you can pickup the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. I've had great success with the valvoline, last week at an autox 80 degrees outside I didn't have any brake fade in any of my 4 runs, which I was very happy with.

The ATE Super Blue has to be replaced about once a year tho because it won't ebsorb water as well as other brake fluid.

Both the ATE Super Blue and Valvoline synthetic are about as good as you can get exceeding DOT 3 and DOT 4 requirements without going to Silicone fluid DOT 5 which will damage your ABS system and should not be used for street use because it does not ebsorb any water if it enters the braking system which can be be very dangerous. The boiling point on the Valvoline is 480 degrees dry, 330 wet. Super Blue is 536 Dry and 396 wet.

If you go with super blue every other flush you can use TYP 200(same specs but its amber colored so you can tell when it has replaced the old fluid).

For reference the dry boiling point of DOT 3 is 401 and wet is 284

Dry means uncontaminated/fresh fluid, Wet is fluid that has ebsorbed outside moisture.

I would reccomend the ATE, I got the valvoline because I needed to replace my fluid badly and quickly. When I get braided steel front lines I'll be flushing it out and putting in Super Blue.

If you still have trouble with brake fade there is something wrong with our car beyond what brake fluid can fix. All bigger brakes at this point would do is decrease stopping distances.

ATE Super Blue can be found online in a lot of online performance shops so you'll have to search around.

GL with your newfound speed!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 24, 2006 8:56 PM

-Chris

Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:23 PM
This works great too. Just a thought.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:10 AM
Drive slower?

I was happy when I heard my car ran 10s. Then I found out that was 0-60.
Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:10 PM
J H wrote:Drive slower?

i dont drive fast , I need this for track and auto-x reasons

Monday, June 26, 2006 6:34 AM
What brand of pad are you using? I've never been able to reach a point where my Axxis Ultimates fade (in 95+ degree heat while autocrossing).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search