where does teh cut bump stop go?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
where does teh cut bump stop go??
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:31 AM
as the title says where do i put the bump stop at??? im confused i did it at like 2 in the morn and put it all back 2gether without the bump stop cuz im stupid and forgot it.....i know you have to cut it but then wehre does it go on the coilovers???

Thanx Charles

Re: where does teh cut bump stop go??
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:29 AM
take your mount off, put the bump stop on, replace the mount

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:51 AM
hmmmm.... When I pulled my suspension apart I don't recall seeing bump stops... There were rubber spring seats but no bump stops... unless you are talking about the strut boots, which had a large rubber area near the top but only like 1 inch thick...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:51 AM
Does someone have pics of the bump stop??

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:04 AM
the bumpstops reside in the top of the accordian boot that protects the strut shaft. you have to pull the accordian boot out of its holder in the top mount to get the bumpstop out.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:10 AM
from the side

from the top

from the bottom

u can see by the top where i cut it at.
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:49 AM
kk thanx but where does it go on teh agx strut and also how do you tighten the strut bolt with out the sturt spinnin???

Thanx Charles
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:11 AM
they can just be put on the shaft to float up and down. as for stopping the shaft while tightening....get a nice piece of rubber, use some garden hose or such, about and inch long and split it. put it around the shaft then clamp a pair of vice grips on. the rubber will protect the shaft and hold it firm while you tighten.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:11 PM
alright yea tahst how we undid teh stock i just clamped 2 vice grips to the shaft cuz it was blown and didnt matter anyways....allright so does it just go on top of the spring in between the top hat and strut mount??? or where ????

Thanx Charles
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:38 PM
no the bumpstops go on before the top hat and strut mount. spring on perch, bumpstop on rod, top hat, top mount then tighten down nut.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:12 PM
they pop out, you dont even have to take the boot off if you dont want... and they pop right back in, they dont have to float

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:26 AM
i don't think he's running the boot with his set up.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:27 AM
no im not running the boot??? should i? and i cut the bump stop a lil to short is it gonna cause a big problem???

Thanx Charles
Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:12 PM
as long as some of its there. yes its a good idea to run the boot. it protects the shaft from dirt and road debri.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search