Solid rear axle... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Solid rear axle...
Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:27 AM
Maybe i'm just an idiot, so could someone explain to me the point of a rear sway bar on our cars with a solid rear axle? Last i checked, the sway car was there to keep the wheels at the same height in a sharp turn... Wont the rear wheels be the same height since they're on a big ass solid rear axle anyway?

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Re: Solid rear axle...
Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:58 AM
The wheels will stay paralel with each other true, but in a sharpe turn where the car will lean toward the outside a sway bar is there to help resist it from leaning.
For example lets say your doing 50mph and make a HARD right turn, then the cars body will want to roll left as the car dives to the right. The sway bar is there to keep the diveing to a minimum.

And if your talking about the rear in our car its nowhere near solid, it twists in a turn BIG TIME. A rear sway bar on our cars DO help. ( Art was right and I was way wrong the rears in our cars do twist! )

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:18 AM
hahahahahahaha our rear axle is anything but solid. take one off sometime and hold it in the middle. it wobbles like a pool noodle!! its very thin material and benefits greatly from a good sway bar.

Sunday, June 04, 2006 12:44 PM
Cool... Good work guys, just the kind of answers i wanted to hear, it's always better to learn from people who have a different experience with the same subject

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 04, 2006 5:20 PM
The rear axle on these cars is a big sway bar based on the way it works. Thats why it commonly called a "twist beam" or "torsion beam" axle.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search