Problem with Bigger Rear Rotors than Front Rotors? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Problem with Bigger Rear Rotors than Front Rotors?
Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:05 PM
I have the Baer 10" drilled, slotted rotors on the front of my car and plan to get the 12" versions when I do the rear disc conversion later this summer.

But another JBO member says that since I have ABS, it will hurt my braking due to the rears being bigger then the front and the car's braking "computer" not being able to compensate.

In other words, he says I will have more braking power in the back then the car was engineered to use.

Any input?

Thanks!

Re: Problem with Bigger Rear Rotors than Front Rot
Saturday, June 03, 2006 11:34 PM
i had no problems , with the g/fs cav or mine

Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:20 AM
i believe the 00+ cars have an automatic compensater built into the master cylinder/ABS control. i will add this though........having the rear disc bigger looks really funny!!

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure it will not help your braking any more than going to a smaller disc 10" would... it anything you will activate your ABS more often than normal with that setup...

CustomBlueCav wrote:
In other words, he says I will have more braking power in the back then the car was engineered to use.

He is right there... You will have a crap load more braking in the rear than the front and way more than you can make use of with your current front brakes. You will possibly have an issue with oversteer while braking... especially in the wet...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Monday, June 05, 2006 11:04 AM
Be careful Steve I don't want to hear about Blue Cav and any gaurd rails.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 05, 2006 11:49 AM
my abs never kicked in , unless i was on a wet or dirt surface , or severe panic stop

car always stoped straight , or slowed down with out doing anything funny

Monday, June 05, 2006 4:02 PM
It looks funny, but it stops just fine. I did a full panic stop with ABS... almost hit a deer, then it ran into the side of my car anyway.....

But the car stopped just fine!!! Stock front brakes, Baer rear discs.... no issues here.

Monday, June 05, 2006 4:06 PM
John Lenko wrote:... almost hit a deer, then it ran into the side of my car anyway.....
deer gawd!!

Monday, June 05, 2006 8:33 PM
deer's are stupid

Monday, June 05, 2006 10:29 PM
you will not get any shorter stopping distance, because of the way abs works, the rears will lock up much before they would with the normal brakes which will then activate abs. this causes the fronts to not ever see as much stopping power as they would normally see because abs is activated sooner than it normally would. initial bite might feel slightly better with the bigger rears, but overall stopping distance and brake performance will be greatly reduced with this setup. the front brakes do the majority of the stopping work and having more powerful rears will cause the front to not even see as much clamping force as they would stock.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:56 AM
^ ^ ^ ^ And thats what I was thinking. The people who have done the rear conversion have you seen any improvements in braking distances being reduced ? If so how ? When you mash on your brakes the cars front end dives transfering the weight forward and lifting the rear, if you have increased braking ability in the front then this is good and it will reduce the distance to stop. If however you increase the rears braking power the ABS will have to kick in earlier to stop wheel lockup in the rear because of the increase in the stopping power being applied. To me this just makes no sence at all as it can not possibly improve your braking, and if its done for looks and everyone agrees it looks silly then I'm at a loss as to why anyone would want to do it.

Have any of you guys that did the rears only ever tried to see if it improved your stopping by actualy measureing your distance at a set speed to a dead stop? Say 60mph to 0 and see what its improved by over the stock specs
cause I bet it hasn't.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:39 AM
Note that one of the biggest jobs of the rear brakes is to prevent the car from diving forward quite as much under most braking conditions. This allows you to keep control of the car without the rear end breaking loose if you're trying to manoeveure.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

I generally recommend that if you're only going to do one set, do the front first. That will give you a big increase in braking power and almost entirely eliminate the risk of fade. Doing the back first is just bling and nothing more.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:15 AM
Also look at it like this, Automobile manufacurers always put the bigger more powerful brakes on the front and have done so for years and years. So there must be something to it or they wouldn't be doing it.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:22 AM
Way to go everyone who gives advice without knowing what you're talking about (not everyone, but there are a few in here).
BTW: The front are larger because there is more weight there.
Putting larger rear brakes on will improve braking distance until something besides brakes becomes the limiting factor in the equation. If the wheels aren't locking up then rear brake power is the limiting factor. Once they are locking up then tires/traction becomes the limiting factor.
Hypothetically, lets say you had infinitely powerful brakes and traction. Then the limiting factor becomes the amount of stress (force) the axle can take before snapping. The idea is that there will always be a limiting factor in how fast you can stop. Right now it's your brakes (drums suck); so upgrading them will allow you to stop faster. How much faster is questionable (might be just a little bit).

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 9:34 AM
I think maybe I'll upgrade the fronts at the same time as the rears...

Will cost more but may as well do it right...and I guess I can be patient and live with these UGLY drums a bit longer...
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 10:28 AM
Even your mid engined and rear engined cars have more stopping power up front and some of these cars have a 50/50 weight split. Another example would be the Corvette with its front engine rear transaxle, Its weight is 50/50 yet it has 12 or 13 inch rotors up front with multi piston calipers and only 11 inch ones with a single piston in the rear. Or look at the Ford GT with its 13 inches up front and I believe 12 in the rear, its rear engine and rear weight biased but its bigger brakes are still on the front, Or did Ford goof again?

The rear gets lighter in braking so why would you want to increase the clamping force on a wheel that has less load placed on it during the stopping? Less load means less weight on the tire which = less braking ability and eventualy lock up.

I however may be totaly wrong on this as I am not all knowing nor a car God, but I would like to see actual test results before I go against the entire automotive industry as a whole and say they are all wrong to be putting more stopping power up front then the rear. Like I said they've all done this since the 50's I know so your talking more the 60 years of automotive knowledge that your saying doesn't mean anything. If you were talking 1 or 2 obscure companies then I might agree with you, but every single one in the world? Come on! And in racing too? The more stopping power SHOULD be in the front not the rear. Sorry.

Steve glad to hear your doing them all the way around, should you need help all you need do is call my friend.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 12:00 AM
i had a alot better stoping with just the rears , granted it wasntenough to put you through the front window , but it helped out alot

and i used to adjust my rear brakes every 5000 miles , something a VERY LARGE amount of people never do , even at any milage

so there is more than just bling with adding the rears , they do fuction

no i do usually recomend doing the fronts first , but in my case i got the g/fs rears and my rears dirt cheap , and couldnt pass then up

and there are cars out there is rear brakes equal to or larger than fronts , hell there is even race cars out there with only rear brakes

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 5:34 AM
Rears equil to yes, exceeding ? which ones ? And the race cars that have only rears usualy have parachutes t help the stop Little different then beltway driving.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 9:30 AM
Well, I'm gonna do it.

Its going to cost me 1700+ but in the end, it'll look sweet.

Won't be until October but what the heck...

My mechanic owes me 5 hours of labor for a garage floor I did for him - do you guys think it'll take longer then that?
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:33 AM
Hell if it does you need a new mechanic ! Shouldn't take that long. Oh and not only look sweet but stop on a dime and give .09 change back !

Good luck and I wanna see pics !

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:46 AM
so it stops on a penny? but a penny is bigger than a dime....

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 12:34 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ SMART ASS !!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:29 PM
Well, don't hold yer breath for pics - like I said, it'll be Fall at the earliest. But it's definitely the next big mod for me.

I had to pretty much cancel all my other summer mods to be able to afford it
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:36 PM
Oh but it'll SOOOOO be worth it when you get it !

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 3:25 PM
Jackalope wrote:Rears equil to yes, exceeding ? which ones ? And the race cars that have only rears usualy have parachutes t help the stop Little different then beltway driving.

they dont always use the parachutes

and i think 1 of the vettes had the same size , and i know if seen some exotics with larger rears than front , i think it was 13" front and a 14" rear , had to do with the wheel size i think

granted the front has the larger calipers

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search