Strut tower bars - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut tower bars
Saturday, May 20, 2006 11:13 AM
Ok I've tried a couple searches and read the FAQ and haven't found anything mentioned yet, so I'm gonna ask and hope to not get flamed. When searching on eBay for strut tower bars, I find that most of them are listed as for 95-01 Cavaliers/Sunfires. Is there any reason at all why those bars wouldn't work on a 2002 OHV? I know that eBay as well as other sites are known for typos like that...

Even though they're probably not the best quality, I'm considering these to knock out both front and rear strut tower bars. They'd have to show some improvement over none at all...

The car isn't used for autocross or road racing or anything like that, it's a daily driver - just looking to tighten up the handling a bit (we're probably going to go with either GR-2's or AGX's, the smallest drop we can, and maybe a rear sway bar for suspension mods).

Re: Strut tower bars
Saturday, May 20, 2006 11:27 AM
IIRC, there was a post about this a week or two ago, seems the bar hits something on the intake manifold on the older LN2, not sure about the 2200. Says they work with all models, but i would be wary. As for a good drop combo, Prokit and AGX's are really good, its what ive got personally, and she handles like an autocrosser. Good tires are something else most dont think about when it comes to suspension. The better the tire, the better the handling.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 11:37 AM
only thing i can think of is that since some 02s and all 03+ hav ecotecs that they wont work cuz of ecu location.. or sumthing that mounts on teh strut towers.. i dunno what for sure mounts on there tho.. it should work with the 98-02 2200 engine.. but it maybe also be a tight fit with a aftermarket intake or stock air box.. should still work just may need some pulling/pushing or sumthing to get it in right..

Saturday, May 20, 2006 11:41 AM
Manta Z(The Primered One) wrote:only thing i can think of is that since some 02s and all 03+ hav ecotecs that they wont work cuz of ecu location.. or sumthing that mounts on teh strut towers.. i dunno what for sure mounts on there tho.. it should work with the 98-02 2200 engine.. but it maybe also be a tight fit with a aftermarket intake or stock air box.. should still work just may need some pulling/pushing or sumthing to get it in right..

Could be possible that it's something with the Ecotec engines and they just don't list 2002 so that someone with a 2002 Ecotec doesn't order and then find it won't work.

There's an aftermarket intake on the car already - I can't really see how it would stick up more than the stock air box would...I think it sounds like this would be a pretty good bet.
Saturday, May 20, 2006 3:27 PM

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=108792&t=108792

some good info here

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, May 20, 2006 4:14 PM
So it's just the ECU location that can cause a problem...and the ECU in the 2002 2200 OHV's is in the same place as the 2002-2005 Ecotecs, meaning that the best bet is actually a brace made for the Ecotec? Or am I way off there?

It's my wife's car, and she's not here, otherwise I'd just go and pop the hood to see what the deal is...
Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:27 PM
yeah, from the post, that's what I would say. personally, I do like the looks of the DC Sports strut bar.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, May 20, 2006 6:39 PM
Well...the DC Sports bars do look good...but is it really worth the $90 or so they go for, at least, on eBay even for one? I suppose if you're in it for show, then yes...but still. And the ones on RK Sport's website are like $100 for just the front...I just can't see that for a bar that simply ties the strut towers together. If it bolts to the firewall, then it'll be stiffer, but none of these do (except for the GM ones), so honestly, I can't see how the $100 ones are all that much better than the generic $30 (after shipping) ones on eBay.

As long as they fit...
Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:14 PM
I picked up a set of vibrant, a while back, but I have the 2.4. So none of those were issues with me. Could always check on them as well. I'm not sure of the prices any more. I got mine from gravana back when he had a gp on it.

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:12 AM
I used the Vibrant bar on my 2002 2200 with no problem.

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:13 AM
I've got the vibrant front/rear and the front flexes more than the one 1 piece I made from plate steel and 1/2" box tubing welded together. At them time I still had the stock airbox or I'd of used 3/4" box and had prolly no flex at all.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search