car too stiff for back?!?!? omgwtfsuspension!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car too stiff for back?!?!? omgwtfsuspension!!
Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:48 AM
So I've had my AGX and Konis on for a few years now....I have Koni Reds up front and AGX in the back (dont ask why). The @!#$ is so stiff on the interstate that some bumps feel like they are about to break my back! Anyone else ever feel this way?? I almost want to go back to stock suspension!!!!!

Re: car too stiff for back?!?!? omgwtfsuspension!!
Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:50 PM
the lower to the road u go the more of the road u feel. some have adjustable stiffness levels, i dunno if urs does

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.63@87.86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:39 PM
What springs do you have?? They make more difference than the struts usually.

Sunday, May 14, 2006 7:34 PM
I have Konis up front and AGX in the back, and I'm on Goldline springs. I mean my back HURTS when I get done with a 45 min trip on the Interstate. some of the bumps feel like I'm about to @!#$ falll through the floorboard.
Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:37 PM
Goldlines are quite stiff. If it's that bad you might want to try Tein H-Techs (not to be confused with S-Techs which are very stiff) or Suspension Techniques. They'd both be quite a bit softer.

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:42 AM
did you leave the bump stops in the rear or not cut them?. i have a 1.7" drop and at first the rear was actually riding completely on the bump stops and every bump was horrible!. some trim them, i completely removed them from the rear and it has been 100x better ever since, but if you do that be careful the rear doesnt hit real hard somewhere .. dont wanna blow the strut

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:26 AM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:the lower to the road u go the more of the road u feel.

I think you should do some research about that.

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:06 AM
James Cahill wrote:

It almost makes sense but not quite. I mean, it's my understanding that the bigger the drop the stiffer the springs tend to be, in which case, you would feel teh road more because the suspension will transfer more energy to the rest of the car

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:38 AM
im still confused on the 2 different struts. i mean i could see the other way around w/ the konis in the rear and agxs up front because konis are only inserts in the front.

try adjusting the damping on the struts and soften them up

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:44 AM
decrease the stiffness of the struts it will help.

What are you running them at right now?

-Chris

Monday, May 15, 2006 3:27 PM
uummm wouldn't there be a chance that the AGX are blown since he has a 1.75" drop?

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:35 PM
lol, AGX are not gonna blow on a 1.75 drop, regardless of the "1.4 warranty". Besides, I know what blown shocks feel like. It's a stiff bounce and it breaks my back!
Monday, May 15, 2006 4:51 PM
What setting are your shocks set to?

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Monday, May 15, 2006 4:51 PM
The rear of course

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:26 PM
ln2johnny wrote:
James Cahill wrote:

It almost makes sense but not quite. I mean, it's my understanding that the bigger the drop the stiffer the springs tend to be, in which case, you would feel teh road more because the suspension will transfer more energy to the rest of the car

If you think of it that way, then yes, but as he put it, no. Ride height has nothing to do with road feel. Unless its so low its on the bumpstops. You're right though, that typically, a shorter spring has a higher rate, but I can show you 2.5" diameter, 6" long springs with a 100lb rate, which would be comparable to lowering the car 2" (depending on the adjuster setup) and using stock springs.

Monday, May 15, 2006 7:42 PM
Jamal, I think the rears are set to 4. My konis up front I believe are on halfway (4). The reason I have AGX in the back is because I wrecked my car and my rear right Koni red got messed up so I just swapped to AGX in the back because I couldnt afford a whole set of 4. Jamal, it doesn't bother me much around Newnan and stuff...but when I hop on the interstate to go to/from Kennesaw, I can't stand it I just want to punch the car and get something else lol.
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:21 AM
then do what we said and soften the damping. it sounds like its set way to high

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:22 AM
It's on 4 out of 8......and the Konis up front are set on the same I believe. Would it be ok just to run the rear at like 1 even though the front konis are halfway???? I don't give a @!#$ about handling anymore I just want to save my spine, lol.
Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:25 AM
Kaz24Cav : I do not really know the AGX or Koni but I have the Tokico D-Specs Suspension System that work similar to yours. The D-Specs are adjustable from 0 Turns (full hard) to 7.5 turns (full soft) and when I adjust them to 4 I feel the same you are saying, to stiff on the highway. I adjust them from 5 to 6 to get a good handling on corners or passing, flat ride but I also feel the road inperfections. I use that point for my neihgborhood roads. For the highway I adjust them 6 1/4 rear 6 3/4 front and get a confortable ride while keeping a good handling. If I go over 7 turns I will get a softer ride but my car bounces a lot and I don't like that either. So, try going closer to the softer side and set them to your own confort. I hope this could help.
Thursday, May 18, 2006 6:47 PM
4 on AGX's shouldn't be hurting your back if that helps any. For daily driving mine are pretty soft around 2-4 in the rear and 1-2 in the front

-Chris

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:10 PM
Hmmm, sounds like there's a weakpoint in your suspension! Something may be so loose to where you hit something, you just entirely feel it. I know I hit a crazy sized pothole in downtown Atl and it actually bent in a tie rod or control arm, so whenever I hit a bump or entered into my driveway I'd really feel it on the drivers side front. Ste-dad drove my car for a day or two and noticed it and got it repaired without letting me know anything about it, so I can't give you any advice.

I'm sure once someone on here reads that, they'll have another suggestion for you. But as of now :shrugs: I have no idea! I've riden a full AGX'ed set-up set at about 5/6 and it was a desent ride. Next time you go down the highway, have a passenger in the car, and try and figure out which side hits the hardest. It might be that one shock is damaged (not blown) just internally damaged. If the hit is consistent across the rear, then something on the main car's suspension is broken/bent or that both shocks are damaged in some way. Weird situation though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search