4 wheel disc kits.....which one? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4 wheel disc kits.....which one?
Friday, May 12, 2006 7:53 AM
Ok so yeah I know they are great and I'm seriously looking at doing this but which brand gives the best performance in your guys opinion? I'm looking at the BEAR big brake conversion kit for the front and rear that Gravana has for sale but I was hopeing that someone here might already have this kit and can tell me what to expect? Or is there a better choice out there?

Any input would be great and thanks.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: 4 wheel disc kits.....which one?
Friday, May 12, 2006 8:26 AM
Well I couldnt tell you from experience, but personally im going with the SSBC front and rear Kit.. I don't need the 13" front baer because ill be on the track this year and I only have 17" wheels.. But alot of people have Baer on here and love them.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, May 12, 2006 8:42 AM
Thanks. I looked at the SSBC kits but they're pricey! The Bear kit for both is like $500.00 less then SSBC is. But yeah for raceing auto x I see your point. I'm planning a BIG engine upgrade and am gonna need all the stopping power I can get. Are you doing both front and rears? If so how much have you found hte SSBC kits for ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:43 PM
i hate the way ssbc's look , they are the worste looking 1's around

and the baer 13" fronts you can get 17" rims on them , and even some 16's , but finding the 16" is alot of looking

me personally i like my wilwood fronts , and baer copy rears

Friday, May 12, 2006 2:28 PM
I've had the Baer 12" rear disc kit.... it wasn't anything special, just Corvette brakes with an adapter plate (that's what most Baer kits are anyway). You could build it yourself with aftermarket calipers for half the cost easy.

Right now I've got the rear IRS swap off an 04 Alero. For $350 I got IRS and 10" rear disc brakes. Much more cost effective Thankfully, I already had dual-bolt-pattern rims... stock rims won't work with the 5x114.3mm bolt pattern off the N-body.

My buddy Jay did the front and rear N-body swap.... his Sunfire stops on a dime now, and gives you 5 cents change Plus he wants to do the 12" conversion from the F-body... the dual caliper swap. Should be amazing.... and hardly the cost of a single brake kit.

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:27 PM
^^ I wish I had the knowledge and resources to make my own kit from Camaro, but I don't. So im going with the Baer kit now.. Much easier lol..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, May 12, 2006 4:32 PM
Here's the knowlege... the resources are up to you... Junkyard? Ebay? Parts store? GM parts desk? Whatever suits you and your budget, I can't help you there.

The Baer rear disc conversion is the CORVETTE 87-93'ish rear calipers and rotors, with an adapter plate. There are several people on here and Ebay that have been selling copies of the Baer plate. Look around, you'll find it. I know there was a guy on BCJ (www.bcjbody.org/forums, my local forum) that was selling them here. I'm sure you can find someone close by.

The CAMARO calipers are the same, but the e-brake hooks up differently. So you'd either have to swap the e-brake connections, or the cables themselves. Again, up to you. If you get the Camaro stuff, you have to figure out the e-brakes yourself. If you use the Corvette stuff, you just use the stock J-body e-brake cables.

The brake pads are the same.

The rotors are the same, but the 5x100 pattern for the J-body is drilled offset to the Corvette (which is 5x114.3mm, actually I think it's 5x4.5, imperial size)... if you have tuner wheels with both patterns, use one of the rims to figure out where to drill the holes. Otherwise, just turn a stock front rotor upside down, trace the holes, and drill. Make sure it's centered.

Ta-da.

Friday, May 12, 2006 6:34 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:^^ I wish I had the knowledge and resources to make my own kit from Camaro, but I don't. So im going with the Baer kit now.. Much easier lol..

Whatever happened to the Neon swap?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search