Vibrations at Idle, low and high speed - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Vibrations at Idle, low and high speed
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:05 AM
Guys:

I am suffering from annoying VIBRATIONS in my Van. I have light vibrations in the steering wheel at idle. As I accelerate vibrations can be easily felt in the Gas Pedal, Steering Wheel, Driver's Seat and the Brake Pedal. Vibrations are worse at highway speed (65 - 85). Additionally when braking hard at highway speed, the steering wheel shakes significantly and Brake Pedal also vibrates quite a lot. As I take my foot off the bake the severity of vibes goes down slowly but they dont go away completely. Some vibration is still felt upon normal braking i.e. I pretty much have some vibration in the car at all times.

The car is at 50K. This is what I have done so far:

1. Installed 4 new tires -- The old Front right tire was found to be splitting on the inside edge.
2. Balanced tires (done 3 times) -- only 0.5 lb was added to front left one time; it was OK other two times
3. Rotated front new tires to the back
4. Alignment (done 2 times)
5. Installed new Brake Pads
6. Resurfaced the Brake Rotors
7. Had the Caliper inspected and cleaned

I have spent so much but still no resolution. Any clues will be much appreciated.

Re: Vibrations at Idle, low and high speed
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 12:40 PM
grab the weel at each side and try and wiggle it (push on one side pull on the other)

then push in on the top. If you hear any clicking or have a lot of play, it could be a wheel bearing.

Make sure the control arm bushings, tie rods and everything else are in good condition.

-Chris

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:30 PM
worn motor mounts? since it happens at idle, and get worse later. you have done almost everything except what IMRascal said.worth a look if your already down there checking out stuff.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:36 PM
sounds like my problem...

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:56 AM
Thanks IAMRascal .......... I will do that wheel test. Does the car have to be in D or P to do that ?
I will get the mounts checked out too Cinny.
Also while maneuvering back and forth (shifting between D and R) in a tight parking spot yesterday, I did notice some clicking noises and jerking at the base of the steering column+brake pedal. That happend as I moved my foot back and forth from Brake to Gas. I am thinking that might just be my new pads which have not seated well yet ? Does that tell you guys anything ?
Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:06 PM
doesn't matter what its in. Best would be to put on the parking brake. Its something we do at every autocross as part of the tech inspection.

-Chris

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search