weird problem with new lowering springs - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
weird problem with new lowering springs
Saturday, April 08, 2006 4:22 PM
ok guys i jyst bought brand new stock replacement front and rear sturts, upper mounts and lowering springs. my problem is the springs that came to me for the front are too big around and not tall enough, with the upper mount in and the strut fully extended the spring wont fit tight? i can explain further if anyone has any idea of what im doing wrong, see the spring wont even fit on the strut correctly i have no clue, HELP

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic. 83,000 miles
Custom cold air intake, RK sport upper and lower motor mounts, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, AC rapid fire plugs, Pacesetter header, Factory cat, Custom 2 1/4" catback with cherrybomb turbo muffler..... more mods to come

Re: weird problem with new lowering springs
Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:04 PM
You don't lower a car on stock struts.

Good job Holmes.

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:11 PM
Do you even know what brand of springs they are, or if they are even made for j-bodies?

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:13 PM
But about the spring not sitting tight, once you jack the car down, the car will push the strut down and the spring will stay in there, thats the same with all lowering springs. But again, are you sure they are made for j-bodies, and what brand are they.

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:16 PM
Hey, just curious, what is wrong with the front strut bearing? I'm having the same problem. MSN me

The_mark_man@hotmail.com
Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:54 PM
Mark: You don't have lowing springs, you have a sh*tty coilover setup. Quite different.

Andrew: I'm going with everyone else, sounds like they're not meant for J-Body if they don't sit on the perch (strut) correctly.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 3:25 PM
pictures would be very helpfull

also keep in mind that drop springs are lower height wise than stock springs

depending on the drop some springs will NOT seat on mounts , untill the car is sitting on the ground

and mark , quit high jacking threads

Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:40 PM
well just wanted to tell yall dont but cheap springs from ebay, i did and i regret it. the fronts just do not fit correctly. i mean i dont even think they are the right springs. i ordered the eibach prokit today and will be installing them tommorow morn. just wanted to update guys. i will be calling the ebay business up tommorow too to tell them im sending them back and i want my money back, what a waste of $80.00. but atleast tommorow i will have all new struts, mounts and eibachs on it and i can corner like im on rails woot woot

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic. 83,000 miles
Custom cold air intake, RK sport upper and lower motor mounts, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, AC rapid fire plugs, Pacesetter header, Factory cat, Custom 2 1/4" catback with cherrybomb turbo muffler..... more mods to come
Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:51 PM
the eibach's will sit top to bottom

as i said , alot of drop springs do not always sit top to bottom

that doesnt always mean they are junk

Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:36 PM
I had no issues with fitment with my pro-kit on AGX's. They fit tight up against the mounts nice and tight.

Check the part number on the eibach box and the part numbers on the springs themselfs on which are the fronts and which are the rears. Here is the part number from the eibach website. 3860.140

There should be a part numbers on the springs to tell you which are the fronts and which are the rears. If you have any questions phone eibach at 1.951.256.8300

Regards,

J
Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:46 PM
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:You don't lower a car on stock struts.

Good job Holmes.

That is not what this post is about.

If the spring were made for a j-body then they would still fit the stock struts. Glad you got it all figured out. but like Eric said, not all lowering springs are tall enough to touch top and bottom until weight is aplied.

-Brandon

Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:10 PM
The ProKit, B+G, H-Techs, SusTechs, and Stock I know will all have some tension on them even when the strut is fully extended. Even if it is shorter than that though, it should still look[/] like it will fit.

Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:27 PM
redecocav wrote:
Jason (The Kings Jester) wrote:You don't lower a car on stock struts.

Good job Holmes.

That is not what this post is about.

If the spring were made for a j-body then they would still fit the stock struts. Glad you got it all figured out. but like Eric said, not all lowering springs are tall enough to touch top and bottom until weight is aplied.

Werd up, I know.

But I was just stating that one shouldn't lower on stock struts.

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:33 AM
Too many ppl who think they know it all around here. @!#$, I thought it was a place for ppl who enjoy the same @!#$ to chat and converse, not belittle, and act like ass hole know it alls.
Monday, April 10, 2006 9:41 AM
Mark Stapleton wrote:Too many ppl who think they know it all around here. @!#$, I thought it was a place for ppl who enjoy the same @!#$ to chat and converse, not belittle, and act like ass hole know it alls.

thats exactly it. you think you know it all. everyone who told you that you should get rid of the coils are right. we tell you this so you dont go ruining other parts on your car and possibly crashing your car. if you dont wanna take our advice then fine its ok w/ me. i just try to steer people away from garbage. if you dont wanna listen to it then thats your choice but to sit here and say we dont know what we are saying is just ignorant

Monday, April 10, 2006 9:53 AM
sprint or goldlines , i forget which

but they didnt have any tension on them when i installed them

and i think the sportline rears didnt sit with tension either , i forget about the front of them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search