Drift kit with pro-kit - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drift kit with pro-kit
Monday, April 03, 2006 1:38 PM
Hey guys, I was just wandering if anyone could put up some photos or clearance info for me. I have a 99 cavy, and I'm set on a eibach pro-kit with kyb agx struts. This will have to come late this summer though, after I do a few necassary things, like buy larger tires and fix my bumper. I just wanna check and see if this is too much of a drop. roads around here aren't too bad. Thanks for the help.

"Man with my windows tinted and badges gone I'll be able to do 200 mph easy. Do stickers add horsepower?"

Re: Drift kit with pro-kit
Monday, April 03, 2006 3:29 PM
Pro kit drops about 1.5" all around. I'm dropped just a shade over 2" all around and there's still plenty of clearance for a Drift kit. That happens to be the body kit I've been wanting so I've checked.

Monday, April 03, 2006 7:17 PM
Id be VERY VERY VERY careful with that Ive had the drift rear with pro-kits and yes I scraped, I dragged, I conquered.

Ive also seen enough drift Fronts with pro-kit drops to make me be nervous. If they still make the eurathane Drift shell out the extra $$ youll be glad you did.

Well all this applies to where youre driving as well...

Say it with me, "Its not what you know...It's what you can prove"

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:35 AM
As i mentioned in another post i don't know how you can be dropped 2" and be ok on a drift kit. On a stock body kits and lowered just over 2" i have issues. I can't imagine having a kit. I have to be careful when raising my car, also taking it to a shop. A friend of mine had a drift kit on stock suspension and cracked that front 3 times.
My advice seriously is not to get a 2" drop 1.5" will be the most and even that may be much. Anothre guy i know who had a Type J and a 2" drop because he couldn't get his car on a rack never got his wheel aligned and when i bought his rims and tires all 4 tires were all jacked up. NOt worth it. Plus depending on where you live you will not want to have to fix you kit.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:16 AM
I don't know. I called around to some different places and got the measurements for the Drift front and rear bumpers to see how much taller they are compared to the stock bumpers and then compared the measurements to what I have on the car and there was enough ground clearance from what I can tell. Granted, curbs and speed bumps and what not will be my worst enemy, but as far as just driving around, I saw no issues with installing the Drift kit. But if someone can show me examples of someone who's done the same thing and had problems, I would happily rethink this.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 10:17 AM
I personally have a friend who has/had a drift kit on his cavalier

This is his car with our a drop.

You will have clearance but is it clearance that is good for daily driving and maintainence

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:03 AM
Point taken. I officially retract my previous thoughts that it would be okay. Wow. That's at a stock ride height? That's fricken nuts.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:04 AM
I haven't lowered mine because of this...

"I was gone for a minute, but now I'm back..."
Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:08 AM
That is one reason i don't have a kit on my car. What body kit will deal with a 2.25" drop.

The only drop you can really use. is a 1.2" drop by suspension techniques.

all the time

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:13 AM
Im lowered on the Prokit, and i dunno how i would do with a kit, be it drift or anyother, the roads here are bumpy, and sometimes hilly, and im surpised the car can take the potholes and manhole covers. I feel worst for my wheels. With that all aside, i work at Jiffy Lube, and i can barely get on to our lift, my cat hits the front part of the lift, and after i had my catback put on, it touched the other night, and knocked one of the mufflers down (easy fix). I guess it just a compromise on comfort vs performance, as well as maintenance.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:11 PM
That pic looks familiar. Doesn't look anything like it now though

Yeah, the Drift kit sits very low. I think you could handle the pro-kit, but I wouldn't chance anything lower. Personally, my recommendation would be to get an adjustable height suspension, either coil-overs or air-bags.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:32 PM
K.Richter wrote:I haven't lowered mine because of this...

You will lower it.

Majority has voted. Your fiberglass loses.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 12:38 PM
@!#$er wrote:That pic looks familiar. Doesn't look anything like it now though

Yeah, the Drift kit sits very low. I think you could handle the pro-kit, but I wouldn't chance anything lower. Personally, my recommendation would be to get an adjustable height suspension, either coil-overs or air-bags.

Wonder who's car that is you know by chance. I saw your cardomain site. It hurts.
How are things in Tampa?

all the time

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 1:53 PM
Mylife75 (ajose) wrote:
@!#$er wrote:That pic looks familiar. Doesn't look anything like it now though

Wonder who's car that is you know by chance. I saw your cardomain site. It hurts.
How are things in Tampa?

I'm enjoying Tampa for the most part. I didn't think the weather would be that much better, but wow, I was wrong. The scene down here is much more active too.

As for the car, I'm enjoying tearing the thing down. Aside from my own personal revenge reasons, I'm just enjoying learning about how things work. I've been taking my time somewhat and actually trying to understand what is going on with the parts. It's definately been a learning experience. My living room is covered with parts from the car now too. It's hilarious. I may try to snap a picture tonight.

So will you be making the trip to the FL-J bash?

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:21 AM
Should be there.

all the time

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 6:49 AM
maybe this will help you decide yes i know its a sunfire but very low sitting still just like the cavaliers!

and btw im lowering it in about a week, wish me luck, goin with a 1.0" drop front and .9" drop rear with tien H-techs and tokico D-specs

sitting on stock suspension: http://www.piczo.com/streetfire2006?g=17410800&cr=1

Who needs a sig?
www.sinisterimages.com
Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:44 PM
Hey, sorry I haven't replied to my own forum in a while. I drive around here all the time with my full drift kit with smaller tires and I don't have any problems. That was until the ditch incident. But the 1.4" drop still scares me. That's why I started this post, thanks guys. I'm still considering either the pro-kit or coilovers.

"Man with my windows tinted and badges gone I'll be able to do 200 mph easy. Do stickers add horsepower?"

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 2:33 PM
drift front. Sprint drop settling at 2". 2.5" of clearence right at the front and 4" at the corners of the wheel wells, scraping yes, change driving habits yes. raise car back up or put on different front.......not a chance. check out the sig for a pic of lowness. oh and i drive around some of the @!#$iest streets in BC.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:13 PM
Awesomeness, I think this is what I'm goin with after a long summer of workin. I think I can get by pretty easy with a 1.4" drop. Need to buy the right size tires as well. Thanks again guys for the opinions and pics.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:04 AM
purplezed wrote:drift front. Sprint drop settling at 2". 2.5" of clearence right at the front and 4" at the corners of the wheel wells, scraping yes, change driving habits yes. raise car back up or put on different front.......not a chance. check out the sig for a pic of lowness. oh and i drive around some of the @!#$iest streets in BC.

So just since all this talk has managed to put some doubt in my mind, how much scraping do you hactually get? Granted, the car looks low, but that's the point. I'm just curious if you've had any major issues like driveways and speed bumps and such. I figure if my big azz HKS Super Dragger muffler can clear a body kit should be okay, since my muffler peeks out a good two inches below the bottom of my rear bumper.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 6:37 AM
im lowered on goldlines (2" drop) and i had the drift front...no problems with it here. only time i sraped was the 1st time i pulled outta my driveway. if you know how to drive a lowered/kitted car and be very cautions you'll be fine.

btw the distance between the bumper and th ground was about 1.6"

Thursday, April 06, 2006 11:58 AM
exactly. i scrape here and there but nothing to serious. speed bumps are no problem. maybe a slight scrape on the huge ones, going into driveways you just have to be sure to go in on a angle and same with exiting. i live in a condo and park in underground parking and its quite steep then flattens right out. you just adjust your driving to get the minimal amount of scraping.

Thursday, April 06, 2006 7:21 PM
Where i live all you guys would have killed that kit already. So many people where i live with low body kits just damaged. So many people gone back to stock.

Basically depends on where you live and what kind of driveability do you want for your car. My car is daily driver and some places i have to go is bad i scrape in some places so bad on my stock kit no matter what i do.

all the time

Friday, April 07, 2006 5:21 AM
This is really making me rethink the body kit idea. 1.6" of front ground clearance isn't even enough for me to get in my driveway. Looks like I'm getting LS side skirts or a Z24 kit instead. At least I'll get in my driveway then.

Friday, April 07, 2006 10:22 AM
Mylife75 (ajose) wrote:Where i live all you guys would have killed that kit already. So many people where i live with low body kits just damaged. So many people gone back to stock.
apparently you've never driven around Vancouver. my car is a daily driver also. you'd be surpised what you can do by adjusting your driving. my parents have a 5" rounded curb infront of their house and i can get in and out without scraping. there are ways to get more clearence out of the Drift if your ingenius enough.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search