what for tightest/stiffest suspension??? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what for tightest/stiffest suspension???
Saturday, April 01, 2006 10:12 PM
Well, I am totally new to suspension so don't be too mean but....

This friday, me and a friend went and test drove a 96 talon. It looked really good on the outside, but interior/electronics sucked. It also had a homemade "sunroof" which when going over 45 would fly off. Anyways...
I learned 2 things that day:
1. I want more torgue for my car.
2. Stiff suspension and nice brakes are amazing.

When planning my car out, I wanted to put it on air so I could ride around slammed. Well after riding in the talon, I've decided I now want stiff, sporty feeling suspension.

So my question is, what would give me the stiffest suspension.
Could I be satisfied with air or is that not gonna do it. Maybe tein or rksport coil-overs are the way to go???

Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more info into what I'm lookin for, just ask.
TIA

-Seth

Re: what for tightest/stiffest suspension???
Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:30 AM
Right now I have Tokico D-Specs, Eibach Sportlines, Eibach front/rear sway bars and Vibrant Front and Rear Tower Braces.

On full hard my car will make ya bum hole pucker. Also it's extremely stiff when set that was, though on the opposite side on full soft it rides like a cloud. Though in the rain driving seems to be a bit different because seems like back of the car wants to come around, sooo I take things really easy in the rain.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:14 AM
Thanks.

I know some more of you want to chime in.

-Seth

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:56 AM
I have RKSport Pro-Streets, Eibach sways (front and rear), and the RKSport front strut bar (albeit any bar will do.)

With that set it is a nice ride. I have the front a bit too low, so it rides a bit rough, but it handles like a dream.

Well, you can't really buy Pro-Streets anymore. I'm sure you can find some used ones, but who knows how they have been played with.

Just remember, suspension isn't cheap. Either you go big the first time or go home. It will be expensive, especially since you want brakes. Usually you'll get a larger rotor and you might need larger wheels...see where I'm headed??

Suspension is what keeps the car elevated off the ground and in the air. It is the most important piece of equipment, along with the engine itself, that keeps you going. A faulty suspension is the difference between life and death.

DO NOT BUY EBAY SPECIALS!!!!!!

Read the FAQ to get all your questions answered. Hate to break the secret, but that is what we all do.

There is probably a thread everyday about suspension and what to get. Search around and you'll find all your answers!!

Good luck bro!

Sunday, April 02, 2006 12:04 PM
I've read the faq, just me bein new to suspension, it's a little confusing.
And I don't plan on buying ebay specials.
As far as brakes go, I think I'm gonna do Wilwood front big brake kit and the neon swap in rear.

I've just heard good things about Tein and RKsport coilovers and so i'm tryin to figure if thats the direction I should go or if I should piece together like evansville.

-Seth

Sunday, April 02, 2006 12:17 PM
Well, I see you don't have wheels. So in order for the brake kit to work, you'll need some larger wheels. That's what I meant when I said this....

Quote:

Just remember, suspension isn't cheap. Either you go big the first time or go home. It will be expensive, especially since you want brakes. Usually you'll get a larger rotor and you might need larger wheels...see where I'm headed??

Do you want to have an adjustable suspension? And which Tein coilovers are you talking about? The Basics or the SS?? Big difference between the two.

With the RK's you'll need a strut to go with it. Koni yellows are probably the best because of the drop.

There are many satisfying combo's out there.

And your question about air. Air is good stuff, but again, don't cheap out. Some will say it handles just as well as coils, but some will disagree. I do not have experience in a car with air, so I wouldn't know.

You're still young (so am I), but don't jump into this all at once. Understand you will probably be spending upwards of over 2 grand. Probably way more since you'll have to get wheels.

It all adds up.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 5:49 PM
I was tryin to find the difference between the Tein SS and basic too. I wasn't really sure what the difference was.
And for the RKSport ones, I remember them having some that were already put together but I can't find um anymore, I guess they stopped makin them or something. They were like the Gravana coilovers.
And yes I want it to be adjustable.

I think I need to ride in/drive a car that has air. Only problem being that I don't know of any people around here that have it. Montana's a hard place to find cars on air.

I'm not really "jumping into this all at once" persay, rather just planning everything.
I like to have a plan for my stuff that way it reduces, cost, time, effort...
For example, I am working on my interior now. If I go air, I have to have a place to put the compressors, tank, switches... and such. If I go teins or something, I don't.

I am fully aware of the cost too. I was prepared to pay for the price of air ride from easystreet so even if I go Tein SS, it's cheaper.

And as far as the wheels, I plan on getting bigger wheels too.

I mean I'm not trying to get all this stuff asap. If I get new wheels by the end of this year, I would be happy. Most likely though, as long as my summer goes as planned, I will be getting my interior done including all new audio, which will be around $1,500.

-Seth

Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:05 PM
If you want STIFFEST you want coilovers. You can get coils and struts seperate or a combo package (Ground Controls + Konis or D-Specs vs. Tien, Gravana, Pro-Streets, etc). You're also gonna want all the bars you can find to brace the car. Then youll have a stiff suspension

Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:13 PM
Then I wouldn't jump into suspension as of now. Say something comes out on the market that you really want? And you have sitting in your room a set of Tein Basics.

Difference between the Basics and SS. Tons...

Basics: your basic complete coilover set for our cars. You can adjust the height.

SS: 16 levels of damping and a kick ass strut mount along with height adjustment. Pair it with Tein's EDFC and you're golden. Probably the most 'complete' coilover for our cars.

I'm sure some Mercedes have air ride. Being you're only 16 and still in high school, I doubt they will let you drive one. So, go with dad.

And like Dave said, bars are fun!

Or you can do like Dave said, coils and struts...

It's all up to you. But it doesn't seem like you want to do suspension as of yet, so just hold off on it for now. Who is to say something goes wrong with the interior? Save up. I've been where you are and was fortunate enough to have my father honestly pay for everything. Didn't mean I didn't work for money, he just told me to save it. He didn't mind paying for my stuff.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:21 PM
I have the Tokico DSpec complete suspension, stock front 3/4" FE2 swaybar with poly d-bushings and Energy Suspension Endlinks, Addco 1" rear swaybar, and RK Sport front and rear strut tower braces. My suspension is really tight, bur rides like a dream. It can also hurt your bum if I adjust the struts to their stiffest settings. Overall I think I spent about $1200 on my suspension.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:22 PM
My two cents....Tein SS's..some sway bars....other bars if you like. And do the neon swap first...I got the swap and you will be convinced there is absolutely no need for bigger front brakes. -I know big brakes offer longer braking without fade but unless you really need it, its useless. Email me if your serious about the neon swap....I'm in the middle of a Group Purchase on the swap and I got a few people who flaked out on me after I already bought all the brake line parts.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:24 PM
Jason:
Ya, I'm not even close to being able to jump into suspension yet. I'm just planning.
I think I will most likely be going for Tein SS. I've never heard anybody say anything bad about them.
Maybe after I leave Montana and can have this as a just show car, I'll get bags. With the weather and the roads, I don't wana risk anything with bags.
Plus, I can get the SS with the EDFC and still be cheaper than air.
The other nice thing about not doing air is that I don't have to have space for the tank and such in my trunk.

Joshua:
That is an awesome price. I'm debating buying that from you when I get $225. The only problem... I haven't worked in a while (starting this week) and I have insurance due.
I'll let you know if I get the money in time.

Thanks for your help everybody.

-Seth

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:26 PM
Hey, i just got my tein ss a couple weeks ago, and they are really sweet. Especially when uprgrading from dropzone springs on stock struts, (never do that) but they handle incredible, (especially with my 224-45/17 potenza re70s) and are super easy to put in. The level of adjustment is nice to, especially for whatever conditions you are about to face. All i need are sway bars, and im ready.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006 11:47 PM
I haven't finished out my suspension yet, but I would like to tell you to not forget your bushings! those are definitely going to help. control arm bushings for the front at least, and get the rear axle bushings done if you can.
the Tein SS' setup comes with the pillowball upper mounts, so you should be golden there. I wish I could get those mounts for my D-Specs.
front and rear sway bars and strut bars, and a K-subframe brace, and you should be good. IMO, I wouldn't go over a 17 inch rim, and with some 225 size Z-rated tires, you should get some good grip.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:46 AM
Tein SS @ the default setting out of the box + 225/45/17 cooper ZPT's and I'm LOVING it. The stiffness from this setup gives you an extremely confident feel of the road. It just hugs the ground like no other. I'd save up and go for it. I'm glad I did.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:44 PM
Nice.
I think I'll be getting the SS then. Like I said before, I've never heard anything bad about them.

Jarett: Thanks for the tip on the bushings. I know they help wheel hop and I never knew what wheel hop was either until I was in that talon and lets just say, I don't want my car doing it.

Thanks guys

-Seth

Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:48 PM
good luck with all this man.

if you really wanna go all out, you might wanna read up on C.T.S's N-body rearend swap. can't go wrong with I.R.S., but you'd have to ask him if the Teins would work with that setup.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:52 PM
DD + me not knowing how to weld/fabricate = no N-Body swap

It's all good though. I think the SS and bars will do me more than fine.

-Seth

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search