How to adjust toe? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to adjust toe?
Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:54 PM
Hey guys,
well, curious to see if anybody knows how to adjust toe on the alignment. Yes, im taking it to a shop. But the first shop didn't do a good job. Shes got a ~2.5 drop in front and 2.25 in the back. Have camber bolts for all their worth, but the toe still looks way off. Not mention, i know its how b/c of the way it drives. Wants to turn and keep turning once you steer away from going straight.

To adjust toe, would i have to undo the outer tie rod nut, and lengthen (take it out further) the tie rod?

any input would be great.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft

Re: How to adjust toe?
Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:46 PM
Camber bolts don't adjust toe. You're problem sounds more like oversteer than toe...

To adjust toe, loosen the jam nut on the outter tie rod, spin the inner tie rod, tighten jam nut again.

Friday, March 10, 2006 3:29 AM
Did you know toe is the difference between the front of the front tires and the rear of the rear tires.

So toe spec is usually 0. When you rub you hand along your tires, going in or out do you feel jagged edges. jaggeds edges on the inside you toe is to far in, opposite for the outside.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, March 10, 2006 3:19 PM
Thats not what toe is. Toe is the difference between the front and rear of one set (either front or rear) of tires. The edges you're talking about are typically not caused by a toe issue either, they are normally caused by improper inflation, and/or over/underloading of an axle (which are essentially the same principal in terms of wear). A toe issue will evenly wear one edge of the tire (similar to camber wear, but quicker).

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:59 PM
C.T.S wrote:Camber bolts don't adjust toe. You're problem sounds more like oversteer than toe...

To adjust toe, loosen the jam nut on the outter tie rod, spin the inner tie rod, tighten jam nut again.

how exactly do you loosen the jam nut? looks like its almost crimped on there. once you take it off, is there anything special you have to do to get it back on?

I need to adjust toe immediately to even pull the car off jackstands. any help is appreciated

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:54 PM
James Cahill wrote:Thats not what toe is. Toe is the difference between the front and rear of one set (either front or rear) of tires. The edges you're talking about are typically not caused by a toe issue either, they are normally caused by improper inflation, and/or over/underloading of an axle (which are essentially the same principal in terms of wear). A toe issue will evenly wear one edge of the tire (similar to camber wear, but quicker).

theres your answer....

if you dont know how to do it, dont try.....please...take it back, and have them re-do it.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:56 PM
John Benham wrote:
James Cahill wrote:Thats not what toe is. Toe is the difference between the front and rear of one set (either front or rear) of tires. The edges you're talking about are typically not caused by a toe issue either, they are normally caused by improper inflation, and/or over/underloading of an axle (which are essentially the same principal in terms of wear). A toe issue will evenly wear one edge of the tire (similar to camber wear, but quicker).

theres your answer....

if you dont know how to do it, dont try.....please...take it back, and have them re-do it.

if that were an option, trust me i would.

all i need to do is pull the toe in on the 2 fronts even a little.....but something. otherwise i cant get it off jacks or drive it to a shop for a true alignment

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:51 AM
there is only one nut on the outer tie rod. then the tie rod is molded to look like a nut so you can get a wrench on it. it does not "come off" you just loosen it enough to be able to spin the INNER tie rod which will adjust the toe.
Friday, May 23, 2008 5:54 AM
joey, you have a pic, sometimes dose benz's have some funny adjustments.

Friday, May 23, 2008 5:59 AM
whiteboyz24 wrote:there is only one nut on the outer tie rod. then the tie rod is molded to look like a nut so you can get a wrench on it. it does not "come off" you just loosen it enough to be able to spin the INNER tie rod which will adjust the toe.

Thats a cavy setup, but i think Joeys benzo has a different setup. Hopefully hell get a pic up to show it.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:26 AM
ok, either thers no jam nut on mine, or its molded itself together over time.

ive been cranking on it for an hour, and this @!#$ isnt budging. it looks like its all one piece.....

wtf!

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:39 AM
nevermind, i finally just broke the first one free......damn them @!#$s were rusty.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:12 PM
This is a 2 year old thread......

I want to know why you needed to adjust the toe to get it off the jackstands They shouldn't be in contact with any suspension part at all, unless you've got something else holding the car up at that point, and you're using a stand to hold a control arm or axle up to prevent it from drooping......

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:21 PM
james i think he was meaning, the toe was so bad he didn't wanna drive it to get it all aligned........

watch for flying sparks!!!
Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:28 PM
wow this is an old thread.

Toe is easy to do
Monday, May 26, 2008 7:00 AM
boostNbags wrote:james i think he was meaning, the toe was so bad he didn't wanna drive it to get it all aligned........

that and the fact the toe was soo bad i couldnt drop it down on air or it would have cracked the front bumper and fenders

Monday, May 26, 2008 11:32 AM
:S did ya get it resolved?

watch for flying sparks!!!
Monday, May 26, 2008 7:10 PM
Ahh... from the way you wrote it, it seemed like you couldn't get it off the jackstands without adjusting it first. You could have easily taken it off jackstands, but it would have done damage

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search