How to replace front strut top plate? How much? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to replace front strut top plate? How much?
Friday, February 24, 2006 3:38 PM
My front right end is klunking real bad,and I already knew that the top plate bearing was about to let out the gost so I guess it just did on that last pothole. I'd like to know how to replace it and how much does the piece costs. Is it really hard? I can do brakes no problems, and the basic maintenance, but never tackled suspension job.

Car is an 03 Cavalier.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to replace front strut top plate? How much
Friday, February 24, 2006 3:57 PM
dont double post

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:00 PM
is it still under warranty?

if not go to the auto store and buy the strut mount.

jack the car up

remove the tire

loosen but do not remove the top nut in the center of the strut tower

take out the two screws and nut holding up the strut to the tower

remove the two nuts holding the bottom of the strut

tap out the bolts with a hammer

remove the strut

put a spring compressor on the spring ( you can rent one at most auto stores these days for like $20)

you don't have to tighten down allot just a few turns after its snug

now you can remove the top nut (impact works best, but it can be done with hand tools)

remove the old bearing plate and put the new one in

put the top nut back on install is the reverse as above

if you don't have a book get one, its a real life saver sometimes and will answer the easy questions for you the number for the book that will cover the Ecotec is 799-1959 its a Haynes manual. ( it also says that it cover up to '04 on the front too)

on a 5 point scale it probable a 3 in difficulty. work with someone, it make s it go faster and you can avoid some pitfalls if you do.

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:08 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]dont double post

I suggested that he would get better results here, and see two people have posted since it was posted here.

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:23 PM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]dont double post

I suggested that he would get better results here, and see two people have posted since it was posted here.

lol see, i hate when i post in one section and then realize that it would be better served in another section.

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:29 PM
Thanks all! Sorry for the double post, I didn't mean to, it's just that I was told that I would get better results here.

BTW, do I need to get an alignment done after doing this? How much is the part?

Thanks!
Friday, February 24, 2006 4:56 PM
GBro wrote:Thanks all! Sorry for the double post, I didn't mean to, it's just that I was told that I would get better results here.

Thanks!

yes you will need an alignment the reason being is that you completely moved everything on that side so its all out of whack with the other side.

the part varies greatly, i was just shopping around for the older style mounts prices were anywhere from $98.99 to $42,99 all the same manufacture. so shop all the parts stores in your area and whoever has the best price and is convenient for you to get to is your store.

ok i need dinner but I'll be back later if you need anything else

good luck

Friday, February 24, 2006 6:23 PM
Cinny wrote:
GBro wrote:Thanks all! Sorry for the double post, I didn't mean to, it's just that I was told that I would get better results here.

Thanks!

yes you will need an alignment the reason being is that you completely moved everything on that side so its all out of whack with the other side.

the part varies greatly, i was just shopping around for the older style mounts prices were anywhere from $98.99 to $42,99 all the same manufacture. so shop all the parts stores in your area and whoever has the best price and is convenient for you to get to is your store.

ok i need dinner but I'll be back later if you need anything else

good luck

Is there a new style mount that is better/lasts longer?

Thanks!!

Cheers,

G
Friday, February 24, 2006 6:45 PM
believe it or not the older 95-99 is a better mount, so no there is not a newer better mount, they are all OEM clones to my knowledge.

Friday, February 24, 2006 9:32 PM
^Even some of the clones are originals. I just got some from Napa the other day, they have Authentic GM stamped on them (or something to that effect).

Yeah the 95-99 is "better" in that it's easier to fix. They all go bad quicker than they should.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:40 AM
hey i was wondering when you undo the mounts does the strut rod turn inside the strut? and how does the mount lock on to the shaft? i would of thought it locked on to the shaft?
thanks doing my suspension soon.

Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:40 PM
I see you are from Canada... You can get the spring compressor for free from your local Crappy Tire... just go in to the parts department and they have a tool lending program.... You'll have to leave a deposit but you'll save the $20+ dollars you would have to pay to rent it at most places.

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:41 PM
The rod will turn in the strut. You have to use two box wrenches, or two crecent wrenches to get it off. Or be creative.

What do you mean "locked onto"?

Monday, February 27, 2006 1:10 PM
with an impact its a 10 minute job.

I wouldn't even try it without an impact, you can get an inexpensive electric one from harbor freight for under $100.00.

-Chris

Monday, February 27, 2006 3:39 PM
im going to borrow the tools from crappy tire which is good and im thank full for that. but im probly going to use hand tools, plus the d specs say 32-38 foot lbs on the nut. but as i said locked i mean how do you loosen the main bolt if the strut rod turns? i read the main faq on how to do it all and there is two bolt shown. if you remove the top one first by holding the second one while loosining, how do you loosin the second one when the rod turns?

basically is the mount keyed onto the rod? how do you tighten the nuts if the rod turns?
Monday, February 27, 2006 3:52 PM
either an impact (my choice) or vise grips/big channel locks on the shaft. try not to mare the shaft too much, it may cause excess wear.

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:09 PM
C.T.S wrote:^Even some of the clones are originals. I just got some from Napa the other day, they have Authentic GM stamped on them (or something to that effect).

Are you saying that the NAPA's strut mount is a original GM unit--OEM?
How much was the cost for them?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:43 PM
i just priced them at 93.99 i think it was for one.

Monday, February 27, 2006 8:27 PM
^^Damn!

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:18 PM
dont even try to grab the shaft with vice grips. i tried that once only to find out that even the vice grips wouldnt grab the hardenned steel. the only way i could get the nut off was with a impact wrench.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:37 AM
Bought all 4 mounts at Autozone for $131 (had a discount), but still a far cry cheaper than Napa. Only thing i couldnt figure out, was where the black O shaped metal ring went. There wasnt one on the stock mounts, so i didnt put it on. Shame on the struts i had on there, never knew they were that worn out. The strut stayed compressed, and never moved, while the pass. side bearing plate came apart when taking it off the old mount.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search