what is wrong with my brakes? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what is wrong with my brakes?
Monday, February 13, 2006 2:14 PM
When I press my brake to slow down it makes a "click, click, click.." noise right up until I either let go of the brake or I'm almost stoped?

ALSO, if I use the brake to slow down... its like it sucks every bit of juice it can for some reason cause the lights get dull and everything. The car even feels like its about to stall from it!

I just had a new battery & alternator put on so I dont really think its that. Also I just but in 2 new rear brake lines from the master cylinder back and bleed all 4's.

Any ideas?

Re: what is wrong with my brakes?
Monday, February 13, 2006 2:15 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm having this problem in my 95 Cavalier Coupe... not the Sunbird

Monday, February 13, 2006 2:34 PM
Using the brakes does not steal any power from the engine. In fact it adds a tiny amount by using vacuum. If your engine is dieing from braking (I assume you have the clutch in) it must be unrelated.

Do you notice the enging running rough or anything like that?

The clicking is probably warped rotors or your pads are gone. My best guess anyway.

Monday, February 13, 2006 3:44 PM
The engine does seem to be running a little ruff.. but nothing serious.

the clicking isn't pads cause I noticed they were good when I bled the brakes. I never really noticed the rotors... but the calipers could be bad maybe.

Another thing tho, is that this clicking and power problems dont happen if I pull the fuse for the ABS. Perhaps I should of mentioned this earlier but I never thought of it.

Monday, February 13, 2006 4:19 PM
then it would seem to be something with the ABS. check to see if the plugs for the ABS are all plugged in. i had some wierd issues with my car when one of the ABS plugs came off.

Monday, February 13, 2006 5:02 PM
It's ABS. You have a bad sensor or back sensor connection (more likely). It happens all the a lot this time of year. You must have missed all the others with this problem a month ago.

Start be cleaning out all of the connections to the abs sesors. Don't use any industrial cleaner, just compressed air or a damn rag or something along those lines. If that doesn't work, you may have to take it someplace where they can pull the code (will cost $).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search