Crunching noise in steering - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Crunching noise in steering
Saturday, February 11, 2006 7:35 PM
When Im just parked and I turn the wheel I feel and hear this popping/ crunching noise in the steering colum. I opened the hook and had somone else turn the wheel and it sounds like its coming from the steering gears. What do you think?

Re: Crunching noise in steering
Saturday, February 11, 2006 9:16 PM
Probably your steering column needs to be re-lubed. There's a GM bulletin around somewhere that describes the problem. Could also be the tie rods, check those, grease them. If it's not them you may have to disassemble your steering column and re-lube it.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 5:33 PM
How do I get to the parts that need to be lubricated? Above the rack or inside the car above the pedals?
Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:10 PM
I've never had to do it myself. From what I understand, you take the dash apart, unbolt the steering column from the R&P, then take the whole steering column out, take it apart, lube it, and put it all back together. Maybe I can find directions around here somewhere........

Thursday, March 02, 2006 2:38 PM
Directions anyone?
Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:40 PM
bump
Monday, March 06, 2006 10:01 AM
There are some GM TSB's about this issue. Maybe get in contact with your dealer and find out if they carn do the repair under warranty.

My 2 bits,

J
Monday, March 06, 2006 1:16 PM
Clunk Noise from Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Steering Shaft) #04-02-35-004C - (Dec 2, 2004)
Clunk Noise from Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Replace Intermediate Steering Shaft)
2001-2004 Buick Regal

2001-2003 Cadillac Seville -- with RPO JL4 (Control Active Brake)

1997-2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

1997-2004 Pontiac Sunfire

2000-2004 Pontiac Bonneville

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

This bulletin is being revised to update Grand Prix model year information, and include repair information to prevent damage to the SIR coil. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-02-35-004B (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop.

Cause
The clunk noise may be caused by a stick-slip condition in the intermediate shaft. An interaction with the steering system creates a vibration that travels up the steering column to the steering wheel.

Correction
DO THIS

Replace Intermediate Steering Shaft

Notice: : The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which may cause damage to the coil assembly. Insert J 42640 (steering column anti-rotation pin) into the steering column access hole in order to lock the steering column.

A new intermediate steering shaft has been released to address the clunk noise.

Important: Engineering changes have been made to the Service Parts available through SPO. The Service Parts for the vehicles listed in this bulletin will no longer require lubrication of the Intermediate Steering Shaft.

Install a new shaft following the Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement procedure in the Steering Wheel and Column sub-section of the Service Manual.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Shaft -- Intermediate Steering -- Bonneville / Seville

Shaft -- Intermediate Steering -- Cavalier / Sunfire

Shaft -- Steering Gear -- Impala

Shaft -- Steering Gear -- Monte Carlo / Regal

Shaft -- Steering Gear -- Grand Prix

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Monday, March 06, 2006 1:46 PM
that sounds expensive, does the dealer do it for free? kinda like a recall?

Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:02 PM
Mine did the same, unbolted the intermediate shaft at the rack and pinion and at the steering column but couldn't get it out. Maybe the whole steering column needs to be unbolted but I was like phook that and I sprayed penetrating oil down from the top and no more noise now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search