Rear Squeeks Like A Old Bed - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Squeeks Like A Old Bed
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:33 PM
I posted this last week but didn't mention what the squeeking noise sounded like..........anyways, it'll sound like an "Old Bed" squeeking when going over bumps.

Like I said the noise comes and goes, hence it seems to go away when it is raining or snowing, but sometimes it'll go away when weather is dry also...........squeeking started in late September or so...............2002 Cavalier Ls Sport w/ Tokico D-Specs and B+G Sport Springs in case ur wondering. Any clues??? Thx again!!!

Re: Rear Squeeks Like A Old Bed
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 3:57 AM
Try to put some grease on your swing arm bushings. Most likely the problem. They get dry and start to sing like a bird. Does it on mine untill I hit it with some WD40 and litheum grease.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:25 AM
Where's the swing arm bushing in the REAR, didn't see an Bushings????
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:20 PM
Where the rear axle meets the body frame.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:41 PM
C.T.S wrote:Where the rear axle meets the body frame.

C.T.S: I looked at the REAR of my 2002 Cavalier Ls Sport......but still don't know what you guys are really talking about, god I feel dumb.......... I'm sort of a Newbie at cars, I guess you can say.....

The Rear axle is the bar that goes across, from the rear left wheel to the rear right wheel, right???

I looked and saw the axle and at each end the Bottom of the Rear Strut was bolted onto the part that was connected to the Axle that sort of curved to meet the Strut .............I'm trying to explain it as best as possible..........but is that where the Bushing might be, where the Rear Bottom Strut is Bolted on???

Any Pictures of the swing arm bushing??? That'll help alot.........thankz for ur knowledge!!!
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:49 PM
There are 2 arms that go from the rear axle to the front of the car that connect to the body of the car. They have bushings on both ends. Those are the ones you grease.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:11 PM
David Alameda (Zspeedcav) wrote:There are 2 arms that go from the rear axle to the front of the car that connect to the body of the car. They have bushings on both ends. Those are the ones you grease.

You mean like the end of the Tie Rods, grease fitting on the fronts??? I know the rears don't have grease fittings, at least to my knowledge, but I don't think ur talkin about grease fittings, just bushings.............

Okay, is it behind the rear drums brakes??? And when you say "2 arms that go from the rear axle to the front of the car" do you mean the Side of the car or the actual Front of the Car??? Also are the Bushings Light Tan and behind the drums......do I need to take off wheel??? Or just jack up car and Spray on the Bushings w/out taking it off???
Thx for ur knowledge!!!
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:18 PM
You are so looking in the wrong place. Here is my old stock axle. You can clearly see two arms sticking out forward (to the top of the picture). They have bushings in them.

Sorry about the huge image.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:22 PM
I was looking for a picture of that LOL. Thank you CTS.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:38 PM
Dude, C.T.S again I will have to say Thank you, ur like a GOD on this forum......

I feel like an idiot, but learning as I come along..........now could I just spray it down W-D 40 than some White Lithuim Grease and I assume I don't have to take it apart to do so right
???
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:59 PM
My g/f's 97 Sunfire SE coupe had the famous loose lumber sound, along with the sound you describe.

I replaced the rear shocks and mounts. Both sounds gone.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:17 PM
Yeah.. I'm betting it's the mounts.
But it's going to take him 5 minutes to hose the bushings with wd or similar, so it's worth a try first.
If it doesn't fix the problem, it's probably mounts.

Ecotecflow: Comes easy when your whole family drives Pontiac's and you have to fix them all.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:11 PM
C.T.S wrote:Yeah.. I'm betting it's the mounts.
But it's going to take him 5 minutes to hose the bushings with wd or similar, so it's worth a try first.
If it doesn't fix the problem, it's probably mounts.

Ecotecflow: Comes easy when your whole family drives Pontiac's and you have to fix them all.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:35 AM
Hmmm I have some squeeks coming from my rear as well. Can I get lithum grease at a home depot or autozone/VIP?

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:40 AM
Oh CTS or ZSPEEDCAV, how do you apply the grease? Is there a grease gun port or is it just applied directly to the surface of the brushings?

Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:21 AM
You can get lithium based grease at any auto or hardware store. It just sprays like WD40. And yeah, just get it in there any way you can.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 9:51 AM
i had this issue in the fronts of my d-specs when i first installed them. are you sure you stiffened the settings on them?? i would back the key out to flush with the top of the strut rod, and try that.

worked for me

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search