Is this peice damaged? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is this peice damaged?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:34 PM
Well my uncle has a 04 base cavalier (not modified) and we were doing a brake job when i noticed this... It looks like it shouldnt be like that and looks kind of bent. It doesnt affect the car though, and it drives regular.

here it is.

dont mind the dirtyness for an 04, he has to drive to a dirt road to get to his job site.

Re: Is this peice damaged?
Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:52 PM
Thats your tie rod end. It looks relitivley normal, That cusshion is filled with grease, so when it goes, you will know it.

About every 3000 miles or so, just get a grease gun, $14, and fill it back up again.

Just as a referance, here is a pic of mine about 3 months ago, had to replace both of them, cost $150

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:14 PM
looks fine

Cardomain|Myspace

Sunday, February 05, 2006 8:25 PM
The tie rod end looks fine. They last about 8 years on average I would say. Then they usually crack and leak, and it goes down hill from there.

In the future: If you crack it, replace it, it's not that hard. Cheap too. I just had to replace one of mine. $24 plus tax retail.
Fuego, you got ripped off unless that's $150 to have a shop replace them. Even the premium ones at the local retail are only $50 each.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:02 PM
Is the Zerk fitting bent? It looks like it isn't perpendicular to the top surface of the tie rod end.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:05 PM
C.T.S wrote:The tie rod end looks fine. They last about 8 years on average I would say. Then they usually crack and leak, and it goes down hill from there.

In the future: If you crack it, replace it, it's not that hard. Cheap too. I just had to replace one of mine. $24 plus tax retail.
Fuego, you got ripped off unless that's $150 to have a shop replace them. Even the premium ones at the local retail are only $50 each.

That was $150 for both, including installation. I had no other choice to leave it at a shop at that time.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:09 PM
Yeah.. Plus install that sounds about right. I though you did it yourself from your previous post.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:06 PM
ok. good. i thought it was broken because of how it looks bent

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:25 AM
If you mean how the end is turned a bit to the left, grab it with pliers and give it a little turn back to the right. It should move somewhat freely.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search