brake pads - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
brake pads
Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:17 PM
It's time to change my brake pads, and I want to know if I should just put the same factory kind back on, or is there any brand that's better.
ie, can I get any better braking out of just changing the pads, or should I just put the cheap ones on?

Re: brake pads
Sunday, February 05, 2006 2:28 PM
Just about any brand is better than stock. I only use ceramic pads, way less dust and work just as good if not better than others. They also cost more.

Everyone is going to have an opinion though. And I'm sure they'll share...

Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:56 PM
Raybestos are good, Hawk performance pads are good, Axxis are good, its all up to you. How much do you want to spend?

Do you want top of the line AA rating or basic $5 EE rating?

Remember, brakes are more then just to stop the car, they also take a beating when tring to avoid that oncomming car.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:42 PM
I don't like to put crappy parts on my car, so for something like brakes I'll spend a bit more. So any of those brands will be good for regular street driving?
Monday, February 06, 2006 4:34 AM
i just get regular ceramic pads from pep boys, like cts said, they create way less brake dust and it keeps the wheels looking cleaner

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:19 AM
When I do brakes for my friends and such I just run out to Napa (closest place; Pepboys, autozone, etc... all the same really) and grab the ceramic pads. Ends up costing the same as if they went to Lentz or Meineke, but they get much higher quality.

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:12 PM
My own issue with ceramic pads, is that they eat the rotors up pretty bad.

Monday, February 06, 2006 8:11 PM
Could be a brand thing, I've never hard a problems with them eating rotors (just my heavy foot).

Monday, February 06, 2006 9:26 PM
While we are talking about brakes, at what percentage remaining should I switch them out. last time I had them checked (a few months ago) is was around 30% front 50% rear.
Monday, February 06, 2006 9:32 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:My own issue with ceramic pads, is that they eat the rotors up pretty bad.

hmmm.... ceramics are the easiest on the rotors. Semi-metallics are the worst on rotors and take longer to fade. ceramics, from my experience, grab better.

I also disagree with factory pads being bad.

and change them when they are about 2mm or 10-20%

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search