Squeak and rear - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Squeak and rear
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:53 PM
I've got a squeak that's coming from the rear of the car, mostly at higher speeds (around 55 mph). The noise comes mostly with slight changes in the road surface and not large bumps. For example, small flowing bumps over a road will tend to make the squeak worse than large bumps (like a pothole). The noise occurs at all times, accelerating, decelerating, or constant speeds - but like I said, mostly at higher speeds.

The squeak sounds like a door hinge in need of some oil and is audible only when the radio is turned off. When the back of the car is pushed up and down while the car is not moving, a slight squeak can be heard coming somewhere in the rear suspension area.

I have Suspension Techniques lowering springs on stock shocks and struts. I've had this setup for over two years and the ride quality is still comparable to stock - the shocks, to my knowledge, are not blown and have plenty of dampening left in them.

I'm thinking this might be because of some faulty shock/strut mounts in the rear? I've never heard this kind of noise before and so I'm trying to diagnose the problem. Any help would be great!

Re: Squeak and rear
Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:54 AM
stock struts + lowering spring= BAD ( I bet u know already) just incase u didn't...

I'm having a similar problem, my squeeks comes and goes, when it rains it'll dissappear.......
I have some Tokico D-Specs w/ B+G sportsprings, today I sprayed some water w/ a hose in the rear suspension area to get any dirt and stuff outta there and the noise was pretty much eliminated, I'm guessing for my car it's probably the rubber spring insulator or something.........I don't think it's the strut mount cause it won't squeek when wear out, it'll clunk, at least to my knowledge.........so me and you are both in the same boat, good luck and i'll be listening.....
Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:33 AM
^^^ Yeah, I'd buy the appropriate shocks/struts if I could justify spending that kind of money on a problem that I actually have...but as of right now, the ride quality is still fine, and so it's not really important to me. From what I've read in the suspension forum from reputable sources it seemed as if a small drop (only 1.2" with the Suspension Tech springs) didn't necessarily need upgraded dampeners, although it's always suggested.

Plus, I was under the impression that the spring rate is what tends to wear out shocks/struts, and not necessarily the size of the drop - I've been told that the spring rate of Suspension Tech springs is almost stock. Either way, I've been with this setup for a while now and have been perfectly happy with it.

As far as the sqeak, I think I saw your post a while ago with the same problem. I tried retightening the rear upper strut bolts/nuts to 18 ft lbs (as specified in the Haynes manual) to see if they were loose - none were and the squeak is still there. I'll have to try your spraying off method to see if that helps. Maybe there is just some friction point in the suspension that requires a little grease? I thought that the only chassis lubing points were on the front tie rod ends though...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and any others are welcome!

Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:22 PM
I doubt the struts are the problem. They very well might not be blow at all, they'll wear faster with those springs, but they won't blow instantly like other springs.

I'd bet the problem is strut mount(s) or the rear axle bushings.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search