Ground Control / Koni Setup Strut Mount Question - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ground Control / Koni Setup Strut Mount Question
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:10 PM
For all that have this setup, what Front Strut Mounts did you use and have you run into any problems with your current setup? I have been doing a lot of research on this but am still unclear of a long term workable setup for the front mounts.

Pre '99 mounts are good, but then is there an additional washer needed, or any other parts?

Monroe mounts?

'00 mounts just junk for this kind of setup? I know that they were redesigned after '00.

Any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

Re: Ground Control / Koni Setup Strut Mount Questi
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:03 PM
Anyone?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:26 AM
Anyone heard of "Held" strut mounts?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:06 AM
Use 99- mounts, aftermarket are as good as stock. The bearing will be replaced anyway. Held, monroe, kyb, no-name.... they're all the same.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:09 AM
If you use the 2k+ mounts, you'll want to pack some washers in underneath to bring the bearing down near the lower edge of the mount. Then they'll be fine. If the bearing goes inside the opening under the mount where it's "supposed" to, the top hat has enough lateral range of motion to bind with the side of the mount and you'll get all sorts of creaking noises.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:04 AM
Thanks Kevin, I was hoping that you saw this post.

When you guys talk about the bearing, you mean the washer from Ground Control with the bearings in the washer, right?

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:20 AM
yes.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:35 AM
I remember i was having issues with my groud controls when i installed it about 4 years ago. I had to modifiy my existing strut mount. I forget who helped me. The mount had to be taken apart. The cup the bottom went ont he top and the top to the bottom. I will have to find out who helped me.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:39 AM
this is who help me.
http://www.j-body.org/members/bigjerm21/

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:50 AM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:58 AM
check with BIgJerm.
I tried everything and they way he told me to do it gave me the best results. No noises etc..

all the time

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:29 PM
Polo wrote:Thanks Kevin, I was hoping that you saw this post.

When you guys talk about the bearing, you mean the washer from Ground Control with the bearings in the washer, right?

Yeah, and the two bearing races that go with each one. The bearing races the the ones that look like washers but don't get them confused with regular washers. They're smoother and harder than regular washers so the bearing can turn nicely between them.

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:42 PM
sorry for diggin up an old thread, but anybody have a picture of the 3/8" spacer that groundcontrol packs in? can i buy a pair of these from someone?

...bone stock
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search