Big Brake Kit questions - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big Brake Kit questions
Friday, January 27, 2006 7:54 AM
ok, i searched thru all the BBK posts, and this question never really came up.

what brand of BBK do you guys prefer. i know about the Baer and the Wilwood. are there others? i wanna upgrade my fronts before spring, just looking for some input on which.

ill prolly do the rears before summer ends this year. thanks in advance

Re: Big Brake Kit questions
Friday, January 27, 2006 8:13 AM
For performance, you should do the fronts first or both at the same time.

SSBC makes a kit as well.

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:33 AM
any difference in the 3 for performance?

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:59 AM
ive got the wilwood fronts , and baer copy's in the rear

i went with wilwood because they will fit a proper sized 15" rim , have 4 piston calipers , and are the lightest of the 3

the ssbc 13" rotors weigh just over 20lbs , and baers are close

the shipping weight of the wilwoods was around 35lbs for the complete kit if i remember correctly

Friday, January 27, 2006 9:46 AM
wilwood's are sexy

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:04 AM
i always loved the way the Wilwoods looked. i guess since they are a bit lighter, ill go with them

Friday, January 27, 2006 12:05 PM
they saved me from buying a brand new vert stang , lol

dam freeway interchanges

my only complaint with them , you hit um hard enough , and you know the abs works , lol

im even putting them on my g/fs cav , and will be using them on my race cav

also ive got the 2 piece rotors , shoulda mentioned that

i know baers 2 piece rotors are about3lbs lighter than the 1 piece , which puts the rotors under the weight of the complete wilwood kit with the 2 piece

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:49 PM
^^thanks alot for that info. i really appreciate it.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:17 PM
no problem

Sunday, January 29, 2006 2:41 AM
But Willwoods doesnt sell a kit for the rear, only for the fronts?

- Darren

ontariocavs.com -||- phewes.snowpants.org -||- zukiworld.com
Sunday, January 29, 2006 9:40 AM
correct

Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:44 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]...i went with wilwood because they will fit a proper sized 15" rim , have 4 piston calipers , and are the lightest of the 3...
Question: when you went to the 4 piston calipers, how did the feel of the pedal change?

Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:24 AM
here's my opinion.

1) Wilwood kit - this is probably the strongest performing kit. if you want straight performance, this is the best kit. some people also like their slim style and style of rotors. a very nice kit.

2) Baer kit - i personally like this one, because i just think it looks damn NICE. i think its a perfect mix of the caliper and their rotors are beautiful, ESPECIALLY if you get powdercoated calipers (more $$ though)

3) SSBC kit - this kit is cool if you like a BIG @!#$ING CALIPER. their caliper is HUGE on the rotor, and some people like that style. this is also a nice kit.

overall, they're all great in some respects.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:48 AM
The more pistons you have the less they have to move. So it really makes the biggest difference in how hard you can push on the pedal, and how evenly the pads wear. IMHO.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 5:02 PM
My a like my home made brand

4 pistons caliper using wilwood pad

Sunday, January 29, 2006 7:19 PM
Eazy, this seems to be all you need, and from what ive read, a good kit.

Click!

Good luck pal.

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:36 AM
C.T.S wrote:The more pistons you have the less they have to move. So it really makes the biggest difference in how hard you can push on the pedal, and how evenly the pads wear. IMHO.

If you've got 4 smaller pistons moving half as far as two pistons twice their size... the pedal feel and pad wear should be pretty much the same.

2 pistons or 4 is generally the difference between a fixed or sliding caliper and both have their advantages over the other. More is not automatically better here.

Monday, January 30, 2006 8:07 AM
my pedal feel hasnt chaged much if anything

the only change in pedal feel i can comment on is the added firmness from the stainless braided lines

under normal conditions , i never notice the big brakes , other than i dont have to push hard on the pedal to stop , unless its needed

the only good looking ssbc's was the 4 piston they used to sell , their current calipers , look nasty to me

i like the look of baers , but wheel size was very important to me , and even with their 12" some 16's will have problems

and i know i can find some 15's to fit with the wilwoods

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:15 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:More is not automatically better here.
What I really meant to say, is that more piston area is what makes the biggest differnce in how hard you can brake (talking about calipers only; not the rotor size, which also makes a difference). Simply putting a larger piston in becomes problematic at a certain point, so it becomes easier to add pistons. Very true the more does not equal better always. But in general with brakes, bigger is better.

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:18 PM
Im curious. So far I know for sure, Gravana and Show Stopper Tuning sells them. Anyone else? also in Canada too?

- Darren

ontariocavs.com -||- phewes.snowpants.org -||- zukiworld.com
Monday, January 30, 2006 9:16 PM
I liek my baers........but the only sucky part is finding a wheel to fit it. out of liek 15 wheels i have tried only my current 18's fit it and just barely w/ the 13 track setup. I think they are pretty bad ass and i have had no problems with them.

Yea i spell liek wrong get over it.

Monday, January 30, 2006 11:16 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
C.T.S wrote:The more pistons you have the less they have to move. So it really makes the biggest difference in how hard you can push on the pedal, and how evenly the pads wear. IMHO.

If you've got 4 smaller pistons moving half as far as two pistons twice their size... the pedal feel and pad wear should be pretty much the same.

I've heard from some people that going to 4 piston calipers makes your pedal feel more soft without any other changes. To be honest, it never really made much sense to me, as I am familiar with fluid dynamics, but I wanted to hear it from someone who put 4 piston calipers on a J.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:32 AM
mcmoney wrote:My a like my home made brand

4 pistons caliper using wilwood pad

What kit is that? Hot much?
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:38 AM
He said right in the post it's "home made".

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:49 PM
This may be a little bit off topic ...

But maybe for the cheaper price maybe being the neon swap? Is it easy , and/or worth it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search