best and fastest way to blow struts. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best and fastest way to blow struts.
Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:48 PM
ok so my factory "upgraded" struts in my 05 LS sport are going and the dealer wont replace them under warranty untill there completely blown. how can i blow them quick with out tampering with them? i was thinking of hitting the train tracks by my house really fast a whole bunch of times.
any suggestions guys.
im sure this is a pretty weird question most people don't want to destroy part of there car.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg

Re: best and fastest way to blow struts.
Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:37 PM
haha, just go out and beat the @!#$ outta your car, train tracks work, so do big potholes! it'a all fun and @!#$!! haha, what an odd question!!!

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:04 AM
PICK UP EITHER END WITH A FORK LIFT ABOUT 5 FEET, THEN DROP IT. THAT SHOULD DO IT. TAKE THE HOOD OFF FIRST.
Friday, January 27, 2006 3:11 AM
well if you dont wanna stress and unecessarily tweak the chassis more than needed...

simply go to a parking lot, or empty area, and drive hard, but not that it draws police attention. take alot of sharp turns, and keep the wheel constantly moving left and right.

doing this heats up the suspension as the car is constantly reacting to input and the road. the hotter the fluid gets inside, the quicker it wears the seals and .....well i think everyone gets what happens when oil overheats in the engine and is never changed...

Friday, January 27, 2006 5:22 AM
Pretend your Bo Duke and your Cavi id the General Lee, Do about 80 off a big ass hill
get like 10 feet of air under the car. I GUARANTEE those struts are dead! So is the rest of the car but hey........

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Friday, January 27, 2006 5:28 AM
faster then a cheetah on cocaine! lol
Friday, January 27, 2006 6:31 AM
Event's got it right. Easiest way to ruin them without damaging the rest of the car is to pretend you're autocrossing. Just keep that sucker going back and forth. Stock are pretty cheap and will be totally gone after 30 minutes of working them hard.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:07 AM
I killed mine on a pot hole going through New York City on my way from Myrtle Beach to Boston. Worst part was I still needed to drive home to Detroit after that.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:43 AM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:well if you dont wanna stress and unecessarily tweak the chassis more than needed...

simply go to a parking lot, or empty area, and drive hard, but not that it draws police attention. take alot of sharp turns, and keep the wheel constantly moving left and right.

doing this heats up the suspension as the car is constantly reacting to input and the road. the hotter the fluid gets inside, the quicker it wears the seals and .....well i think everyone gets what happens when oil overheats in the engine and is never changed...

English Translation: Go find a local autocross. If you can find an autocross test and tune, that's even better.

I've never heard of shocks "starting to go"

I thought they were blown, or not blown......

-Chris

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:11 AM
fraud , nice way to get something done

why not just spend the money on something aftermarket

im will to bet that if the dealer replaced them , that youd be back complaining that it still rides the same , or that they didnt even replace them , and just cleaned them to look new

keep in mind when people say the rears are always blown dont realize they are shocks , and are HYDRALIC , and not gas charged , so they will sink and not come back

Friday, January 27, 2006 2:50 PM
Jackalope wrote:Pretend your Bo Duke and your Cavi id the General Lee, Do about 80 off a big ass hill
get like 10 feet of air under the car. I GUARANTEE those struts are dead! So is the rest of the car but hey........

^ AHAHAH LOL!

I agree with his idea!

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:24 PM
Its an 05 and you think they're "going" bad? How many miles do you have on it? Its what, a year old at most now, and the struts are bad.......this leads me to believe either 1- you beat on it pretty bad, or 2- the problem was diagnosed incorrectly (I'm leaning towards 2 for your benefit). Getting new stock struts isn't going to do anything for you but lighten your wallet by having to pay your warranty deductible. Swap them for something better.

Friday, January 27, 2006 5:19 PM
Warranty deductable?

Maybe on the extended warranty. But not manufacturor warranty

Friday, January 27, 2006 6:50 PM
Quote:

Its an 05 and you think they're "going" bad? How many miles do you have on it? Its what, a year old at most now, and the struts are bad.......this leads me to believe either 1- you beat on it pretty bad, or 2- the problem was diagnosed incorrectly (I'm leaning towards 2 for your benefit). Getting new stock struts isn't going to do anything for you but lighten your wallet by having to pay your warranty deductible. Swap them for something better.

yea there screwed. and i dont "beat on it pretty bad" i live in the middle of nowhere, cows walk past my driveway. ever seen the back roads, they suck.

Quote:

Warranty deductable?

here they replace any defective part under the 60,000km bumper to bumper warranty. all it costs me is the gas to get there.

thanks to the people who gave me suggestions on how to kill the struts, as for the people who dont agree with it well thats fine dont bother posting on the thred.

as for 97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™) why would i pay for replacement when GM will cover the cost? many aftermarket parts will void the warranty.

Friday, January 27, 2006 7:23 PM
How do you know they're bad? What kind of testing did you (or a service tech) do?

Using an aftermarket part will not always void a warranty. If you use the GR2, or maybe even the AGX, you won't have any warranty issues. As long as its called an OEM replacement you're good. You're going to have more of an issue dealing with the warranty fraud investigators at GM (since having to replace all 4 struts at the same time on a vehicle only 1 year old falls under the catergory of "this guy did something strange with this car") than you are if you were to simply buy aftermarket struts and put them in.

But... you can tell me not to post in here if you want, I just figured you would want some input from someone whos worked in a dealer service department, and dealt with customers coming in and saying "it just broke, I don't know how or why" and expect a new engine when they didn't tighten the oil filter all the way.

Friday, January 27, 2006 8:33 PM
obviously the tech didnt think they are defective , or they woulda been replaced

and coming on to a web site and asking how to blow the struts is straight out FRAUD

i should copy and foward this post to the dealers in your area , and guess what NO MORE WARRENTY

and putting aftermarket struts on the car , because you thinkthe stock 1's are bad , wont void your warrenty on any but the stock struts , and maybe the mounts , if you lower the car then might viod a little more

it would void anything else

to me aftermarket seams like alot better option than commiting FRAUD

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:02 PM
Wow man, NO JUST NO. Deal with it, or buy after market. In anycase, you can damge your wheel bearings as well, which is 300 $ a pop.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:22 AM
Quote:

Using an aftermarket part will not always void a warranty. If you use the GR2, or maybe even the AGX, you won't have any warranty issues. As long as its called an OEM replacement you're good.

i didn't know they where considered an after market replacement. im going to look in to them. they have to be cheaper then stock.
thanks

Quote:

i should copy and foward this post to the dealers in your area , and guess what NO MORE WARRENTY

go for it and while your at it tell them the car is a theft recovery...twice.

Quote:

Wow man, NO JUST NO. Deal with it, or buy after market. In anycase, you can damge your wheel bearings as well, which is 300 $ a pop.

i thought it might have a bad effect on the wheel bearings. now that i know that im gonna avoid it.

Quote:

obviously the tech didnt think they are defective

ok ill give him that. iis at GM's discretion on the claim.

one more reason i think there done. if i drive over anything thicker then a credit card i feel it. and pot holes holy @!#$ there like the grand canyon, thats what leads me to be leave there blown.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:25 AM
IamRascal wrote:
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:well if you dont wanna stress and unecessarily tweak the chassis more than needed...

English Translation: Go find a local autocross. If you can find an autocross test and tune, that's even better.

I've never heard of shocks "starting to go"

I thought they were blown, or not blown......

sometimes.... sometimes the leak can be internal...and you;ll notice it on the larger stuff, but once you notice it on almost everything...the seals are pretty much totally gone.

although the road feel test can always be various factors.... only true way of testing em is to take em off the car, visuallly inspect, if you are strong enough work the piston a bit, if not take em to a shock dyno and get a printout.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:46 AM
Quote:

sometimes.... sometimes the leak can be internal...and you;ll notice it on the larger stuff, but once you notice it on almost everything...the seals are pretty much totally gone.

that could be the problem. the ride was great for the first 30,000KM then one day it went really bad.
thanks

also would hard braking have anything to do with the shocks/ struts? not all the time but all least once a day.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 7:31 PM
Are you sure it's the strut, and not the mount..or even end links. Is it a noise thats happening or does that corner just keep bouncing.
Whats the exact fault your having, maybe the tech didn't understand what you where complaining about..or he did but couldn't claim it becasue of the way the work order was written. ..what i mean by this is, i also work at a dealer..and if the work order says "Popping noise up front"..but when i road test it i here a grinding noise that isn't safety related..I cannot change the parts needs because warranty will not pay for it...So to save the hassle we pretend it was never noticed.."no complaint, no fault"
It's sad, but thats the way warranty works in some places...

Sunday, January 29, 2006 8:20 PM
Really you deserve a free fix for stuff that's not broken yet but will be?

I mean ripping off GM, it's not a crime right?

Just because you broke something doesn't mean that it has to be fixed on someone else's dime.

So what if your roads are poop, you're choosing to drive the crap outta your car, you should be a man and pay for the fix.

I hope someone contacts the dealer and prevents you from ripping them off.

Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:05 PM
if you feel alot in the road you might want to look at the tires also

pressue can be to high , the rubber it self can harden up after alot of miles and heat cycles

just a thought

Monday, January 30, 2006 2:21 PM
Quote:

if you feel alot in the road you might want to look at the tires also

could it have something to do with the snow tires?
thanks

Quote:

I hope someone contacts the dealer and prevents you from ripping them off.

ive told 2 people to go right ahead and they still have not taken the offer. go for it and like i told them feel free to tell them thats its a theft recovery ............twice.

Monday, January 30, 2006 6:53 PM
So what if it's a theft recovery? Get the guy who stole it to fix your struts

It's got nothing to do with you LYING and coming on here asking stupid questions.

If it was a theft recovery you chose to buy it that way because an insurance company would not sell you back the car unless you chose to fix it "on your dime and not someone elses".

Stop making excuses and do what's right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search