brake shoes - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
brake shoes
Sunday, January 08, 2006 6:58 PM
what kind of high-performance shoes are out there for our car?
the reason i am asking is because i am autoxing this car in sts and a rear disc swap is out of the question.

i have been looking around and there are not that many out there, the only ones i see is the carbotech engineering bobcats and panther plus which they will line old backings for you.
in grassroots motorsports they used these for some of there project cars.

so back to my question if you know anything about these or any other break shoes that you would recommend for an auto x/street car please post.

thanks in advanced

auto x kills brain cells!!!

Re: brake shoes
Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:22 PM
watching

Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:48 PM
I'm using wearever gold's (cheapest thing available at Advance) and they work fine.

I would reccomend some axxis ultimate pads for the front though. SS lines and slotted rotors would help as well.

Also, what kind of race rubber are you using? That has a big effect on braking as well.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:29 PM
^ Yep, there's basically nothing you can do for the rear if the autox requirements state you need to keep the drums. SS lines will help more than pads.

Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:04 PM
i am getting the kumho ecsta mx's for auto x this season.

Are slotted front break rotors that helpful on a auto x course? I don't think i felt any break fade last season, but then agen i was using oem which just slows down the car and the weakest link in the breaking system was the cheep tires i had. Also what i heard from most of the sts autoxers in my area they say that plane rotors give the best initial bite? Is this true?

I was looking at the hawk hps's for the front which i heard allot about. I didn't hear much about the Axxis Ultimate's, are they the same as performance as the Hawk and EBC Green Stuff? If anyone used any of these pleas post, but mostly if you used more than one of these and have comparisons of them, that would be cool.

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:42 AM
I had better initial bite with the slotted rotors.

Lots of people in my area are using the Ultimates. I've never used Hawk pads, but I would say that the Ultimates are on the same level based on what others have said. The Green Stuff pads, however, I have heard some bad things about.

NOPI's online store had the best deal on Ultimates last time I checked. They also had very good prices on brembo slotted rotors and SS lines. I've orded from them before and they had great service (much to my suprise).

Don't forget to upgrade your fluid once you've installed your new brakes. Valvoline's synthetic fluid can be had for about $5 at your local parts store and is almost as good as ATE or Motul.

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:44 AM
I forgot to mention that the new Azenis tested better than the MX's at GRM's latest test. The MX's are a good tire though.

www.edgeracing.com has some good deals on race tires and shipping is reasonable.

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:49 AM
I have Hawk HP's and have no complaints.

I want to try bobcats tho.

-Chris

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:05 AM
i just contacted carbotech enginering and they say that they will make the shoes for $139 + the cores. this is a custom job they said. the only thing is custom shoes are in race compounds only, so they said the (913) formula is the best choice for our waight of cars. also said; to equle out the braking bies he recomends the bobcat for the frunt and the (insert your faveret high performance pad heare) will not equl out the bies enough. they said the braking power of the bobcats are conciderably more than the Hawk/Axxis this pad causts around $119 for the frunt, about twice the price of Hawk/Axxis pads. but he also said they will last about twice as long.

in conclusion,
i might go and try out the bobcat frunts, get good quolity rear shoes, steel braded lines, sinthetic break fluid and call it a day. if the bobcats rip apart the frunt rotors then i will replace with the sloted ones, and when the rears ware out then i might part with the $139 for the rear shoes.

since i am going to be in sts and having to compet agenst all those damin 89 civic si's all i know is i nead to do something about the breaking of the 2600 lbs of the cavalier.

you only live once and lets make that life a rollercoster!!!!!

Monday, January 09, 2006 2:58 PM
Honestly, I feel that the money could be better spent on other parts of the car. Cat back exhaust, strut bars, koni yellows (to properly dampen those RK coils), drivers school to name a few. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, its just that I feel you are reaching well beyond the point of diminishing return when spending $260 on friction materials.

Axxis ultimates or Hawk HPS, SS lines, cheap shoes, slotted rotors and synthetic fluid will cost you $250 at the most.

Monday, January 09, 2006 3:03 PM
You can do a disc swap in STX. Its pefectly legal. Unless you really want ot stay in STS.

Monday, January 09, 2006 9:27 PM
yes i agree with you zach.

I'm sorry if my wording confused you buy quality rear shoe i meant a long lasting shoe like the rebestos or Bendix which go for $30-$35

also to prove your point i talked to one of my SCCA friend's (who is more of a mentor to me because he is around my fathers age) said exactly what you said. that the braided lines will be more price frendly than thefancy shoes. And for the front i can get the hawk hps at my local auto-parts store for $45 because he autox's with me.

thanks for your help and the input.

ps. yes stx is way out of what i wont to get in to. to much overhead and i would be out powered by the BMW, WRX, and Lan-evo. i would rather role with the civics than those cars!!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search