Rear Hubs 96 Cavalier - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Hubs 96 Cavalier
Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:22 AM
I race a 96 Cav on 1/4 mile dirt track.Every 2 to 3 weeks the hub bearings go bad. Does anyone know where I can get after market racing hubs?

Re: Rear Hubs 96 Cavalier
Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:42 AM
There you go, now you know how to make your own post!

LOL, I don't know of any made.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:37 PM
Damn.. I've never hear anyone complain about rear hubs going bad. And there are quite a few people who autox around here. Sure you're not doing something wrong??

Thursday, December 15, 2005 3:30 PM
Raymond Soos wrote:I race a 96 Cav on 1/4 mile dirt track.

My guess is that you're running alot of toe in the rear?

I can offer a cheaper alternative- pre 92 bearings have no ABS sensor and are alot cheaper. They bolt right up. Or you could cut the bearing plate off the axle and weld on a new one to accept some other bearing. I'm not sure what you're rules are.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 5:14 PM
My front hubs are usually only good for 2 autocrosses, but I've NEVER had a rear hub go bad. What is your rear alignment? What is the offset on your wheels? Are you installing the gaskets with the hubs(I have found those make my fronts go bad sooner)?

Friday, December 16, 2005 8:38 PM
I have a set of rear non abs hubs with like 42k on them for sale if you are interested.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:48 AM
What's the alignment specs in the rear? Do both sides blow, or just one? How are the toe and track settings at?

Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:40 PM
Rear wheel bearing modification approved: Flange part # 22551723, Bearing # 22551705.

From: http://www.grand-am.com/ARCHIVE/grandamcup/img/tif_01/01cavalier.doc

I dunno if that part number is still valid... but it was at one point.... 4 years ago or so.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:02 AM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Rear wheel bearing modification approved: Flange part # 22551723, Bearing # 22551705.

From: http://www.grand-am.com/ARCHIVE/grandamcup/img/tif_01/01cavalier.doc

I dunno if that part number is still valid... but it was at one point.... 4 years ago or so.

Where the heck did you find that? I'm going to find out what all the part numbers come from. Interesting stuff right there.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:10 AM
It's the old specs from the Grand Am Cup... years ago. There's where a lot of our old ideas came from

I believe most of the parts were just the N-Body parts swapped over. Thus how we figured out the most stuff would swap over (IRS, etc). Some of them didn't pan out... but most did.

...j

Sunday, December 18, 2005 5:18 PM
John,
Is that a GM part no. for the flange and bearing?
Ray

Monday, December 19, 2005 6:40 AM
What type of rear end would be best to cut the mounting plates off of? Which would be the strongest.
Thanks Ray
Monday, December 19, 2005 2:16 PM
It wouldn't be the flange you should be worried about, its the bearing. Find out what bearing to use and either have a flange machined to fit the axle, or something along those lines. I've heard of fullsize GM car bearings on J bodies before, but I'm not sure if they'll work for you. What does your rulebook allow?

Monday, December 19, 2005 3:13 PM
Yes those were GM part numbers. Used to work in the GM parts system, but I don't know if they've been changed or removed entirely by now.

Monday, December 19, 2005 5:02 PM
I tried them online, but got nowhere (except for two calipers). I was going to run them by my parts guy and see what I find.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search