brake problems - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
brake problems
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:01 PM
If I am on a patch of ice and I hit the brakes the abs kicks in and is really loud and doesn't work well. Also after they kick on my ABS light and Emergency Brake light will kick on and then only the front brakes work. I shut the car off and turn it on then it resets back to normal and everything is well. What could be the cause of this and why would the abs not work well?

Re: brake problems
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 4:17 PM
why are you slamming your brakes on ice anyway????

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:49 PM
I don't have to slam my brakes on ice. I just push the pedal down a little bit and they abs kicks on. Something is screwy with them and I can't figure out what is wrong and the gm tech 2 scanner can't either
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:46 AM
Make sure the sensor on each hub is on there and not loose or has fallen off This happened to my 04 Cav

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:17 PM
The ABS module is sticking. The 99- are known to have this happen on rare occasions. It might need to be clean, or replaced.

A good scanner should be able to tell you which valves are sticking. I think you'd have to plug it in while the ABS light is on to get the correct code.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:50 PM
Sounds good thanks alot. Would an average person be able to clean this part or is it recommended to take it in to get cleaned? OR would it just be better to get a new part?
Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:17 AM
Quote:

I think you'd have to plug it in while the ABS light is on to get the correct code.

that is correct. abs codes go away when you shut the car off. in my opinion i'd just pull the relay. GM abs works like their power window motors.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Monday, December 19, 2005 9:33 AM
The ABS doesn't work well on any of my family's cavaliers, '96, '02, and '04. I can achieve the same effect as the GM ABS by slamming my foot into the brake pedal about twice per second, and making a pot of coffee with a really loud perculator at the same time My car goes into unrecoverable understeer as soon as the ABS kicks in.

The dealer says this is normal.

After fearing for my life a couple of times, I pulled the fuse, and worked on my threshold braking skills. You can easily out-brake and out-steer the GM ABS with a little practice.

I know this will be blasphemy here, but I love the Honda ABS in the 5th gen Preludes. You just push your foot down hard, and steer. Lovely; the way ABS should be.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search