May Day I need you alls help - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
May Day I need you alls help
Friday, September 16, 2005 4:59 PM
My car broke down on me yesterday I was driving and it started to sufficate like it was gasping for air I was going to the service station to get rid of some trash. As soon as I turned in it cut off, it would turn over but not crank and did it did crank real fast and stopped before I could give it some gas it did this twice. The car is not getting any gas to the CFi carborator when I looked into the butterfly bowl I see or smell no gas, when I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump prime itself. I'm thinking its a clogged fuel filter this is a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 CFI, also before this I had 2 episodes of when I came to a complete stop the car would Idle real low like it was gasping for air like it was going to cut off but once I take off the would return to normal. Guys let me no what you guys thank?

Re: May Day I need you alls help
Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:26 PM
check sparkplug/distributor/ignition wires, i had the same problem and it was a wire going from the distributor to some other part that i do not know the name of
Thursday, September 22, 2005 6:16 PM
What the heck is CFI? How did it crank but not turn over? Cranking is turning over. It does sound like a fuel filter.

Where did the wire from the distributor go? To a harness or to a cylindrical object?

Friday, September 23, 2005 7:22 AM
Kevin Tolbert wrote:My car broke down on me yesterday I was driving and it started to sufficate like it was gasping for air I was going to the service station to get rid of some trash. As soon as I turned in it cut off, it would turn over but not crank and did it did crank real fast and stopped before I could give it some gas it did this twice. The car is not getting any gas to the CFi carborator when I looked into the butterfly bowl I see or smell no gas, when I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump prime itself. I'm thinking its a clogged fuel filter this is a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 CFI, also before this I had 2 episodes of when I came to a complete stop the car would Idle real low like it was gasping for air like it was going to cut off but once I take off the would return to normal. Guys let me no what you guys thank?

Check vaccum lines... i had a simular problem (with the exception that mine is multi-port)... i had to hold my foot on the pedal and keep it at 1300 RPM or my car would start gasping for air... at the time my fuel filter was like 8 months old and ignition coils plugs and wires were like 2 or 3 ... (coils being ac delco, plugs being ac delco rapid fire, wires being excel 8 MM)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search