got the new DD home! and some progress too! - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
got the new DD home! and some progress too!
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:58 PM
well as some of you have noticed, i have another progress thread going for my red z. its a much more involved (and longer) progress thread than this is. in fact i wouldnt even call this a progress thread. its just me showing off my new toy, pretty much.

so yeah, i picked up DTPs green drop top, but really didnt like the black bumpers (front and rear). i prefer my cars to be all one color (even if it were in primer) so i decided i would paint them. no, its not a professional job and no, it wasnt meant to be. its just something to make the bumpers match the car (kinda) but its only on the DD so i dont care if they arent perfect.

so this is how she looked when i got her home (dirrrrrty from 1000 miles of salted roads!)

and here is the bumper. sanded with 220 maybe? cleaned with alcohol. then a high build primer. the paint shop told me i wouldnt need an adhesion promoter or flex agent or anything. with this being urethane i would have been a little concerned, but DAMN! this wings west is some solid made @!#$! its just as sturdy as any thick glass kit ive had and unlike other types of urethane ive owned (RK, Xenon, Razzi) this doesnt flex much at all. so i took their advice.

then i had our local paint shop mix me up some GM Manta Green in aerosol cans. this is NOT duplicolor! this is actual auto paint (omni probably) but the shop puts it in spray cans for small jobs or touchups and the like. $12.50 per can. took two cans to do the bumper. and let me just say......this is a rich green. lots of flake or whatever.

first coat. you can definitely tell...lots of thins spots.

more coats make it look more like a real paint job.

right now im waiting on it to dry so i can toss some clear on it. then maybe ill toss it on like that, or maybe ill buff it a bit. like i said, its not a big deal either way. i just wanted the bumpers to be a somewhat similar color. tomorrow we'll see how well it matches the rest of the car. or maybe ill just bring it out in a little bit just to see how well it matches

questions or comments, good or bad......leave em.

EDIT: well the paint was dry, so i thought id run outside and get those side by side pics before i lost the light. so here they are. im actually surprised at how well it matches!

and to be fair to the car, yes, it is still dented in. its not as bad as what paul had told me to expect. but it does need a new quarter. oh well....thats not in my budget right now. maybe one day (or maybe i can figure something out for a quick fix ) im almost half tempted to bondo the @!#$ and do a quick spray on it. that would at least be a temporary fix and even though it would crack out by next winter, at least i could have a summer of cruisin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:24 PM

coming back in 2008...

Re: got the new DD home! and some progress too!
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:05 PM
Stilled dented? from the bash?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:36 PM
holy @!#$ i didnt know that paint from a can would look that good i was gonna try that but i didnt know how it would turn out how much did it cost u all toghther

13.1 @ 115
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:40 PM
WoW! Talk about a whore of a car. I'm glad to see that car in a full color once again. I'm sure adam is glad to see his old bumper make it into the body color of the car that it is on now. I'm glad you are making it look good bro. Good luck with it, and I still would like to know how much you got it for. Cause I don't remember it ever being up for sale.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:42 PM
great job ben!! that looks great. cant wait to check it out this week...ill prolly be coming out tomorrow maybe?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:50 PM
trey: it wasnt for sale very long, thats for sure. i was lucky and snatched it up as soon as paulie put it up for sale. and also luckily, paul is a nice enough guy to not sell it out from under me cause i know he had a few other people try to buy it (prob at a higher price too) since he was only asking 1700 for it. but paul is a great freakin guy and treated me right. he even gave me a kiss good bye before i left. i <3 DTP

barr: yeah, i learned how to rattle can from the best: frank the tank! dude could work magic with spray cans. im not gonna lie and say that this paint job is show worthy, cause it isnt. BUT it does look pretty good IMO. much better than most rattle jobs, for sure. but for the price, you just cant go wrong! a shop would have charged me a few hundred to paint the bumpers. and that most definitely wasnt in the budget

chad: thanks. just lemme know when.

coming back in 2008...
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:41 PM
wow looks a ton better already. great job. i hear on the quick fix. what about sanding down the rear quarter and just painting over it until you can get it fixed the right way? ya it was for sale a while back.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:54 PM
looks good ben....don't putty it...you can't hide THAT much putty....it'll look fine trust me Just hold off on the quarter. this looks solid though, esp considering the money

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:00 PM
silver nip: yeah, itll def get a quick paint job on the bare metal. again, one color ftw!

dtp: thanks. yeah, for the money i just couldnt beat it. and i really dont want to do putty either. buuuuttttt i do want to have a solid colored car to cruise with this summer. but ive got a few months to figure out a solution. maybe ill get lucky and find a backyard mechanic to weld me up something. we'll see what happens....

more pics! just some clear though, nothing special. but all that is left is to buff it out a bit, and install it! overall, i am VERY happy with this project!!!

and the man behind all the spray bomb madness: tabs himself. btw...i kinda almost look cross eyed in this pic LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:09 PM

coming back in 2008...
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:09 PM
cool deal! Get that rust taken care of Mr!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:21 PM
thats only coloring of rust, its sat like that for 2 years and never changed.

i really think putty or anything short of a new quarter will actually look WORSE. it's the same color still, spray a little paint on it and call it good, even if its uneven

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:44 PM
dont worry paulie......im not gonna ruin your baby like i said, ill have to see what i can come up with locally as for how i plan on handling it. but thats down the road a bit.

if i had a few extra hundred bucks, i found a rear quarter from a drop top on ebay. this is the second month its been listed, as it didnt sell last time. if i can scrounge up some extra cash i'd like to make them an offer of $100 and just drive up there and pick it up. but then i still have to pay to have it welded on, because even im not crazy enough to try to do that myself, and you guys know how i LOVE to cut on my cars lol.

btw paul....you talk to your parents about finding any of that stuff?

coming back in 2008...
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:31 PM
lmao, ive worked on this car!!!

(@!#$ that bolt, right paul?) hahaha

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:25 PM
wow, lol paul i didnt know you got rid of it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:51 PM
nice nice

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:33 PM
Sweet. I'm surprised how well that front came out. Well done, sir; well done.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:42 PM
wat kinda clear did they use can they put clear in a can also lmao

13.1 @ 115
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:30 PM
just used regular clear. nothing special.

pilz: i almost wish i hadnt sold you those seats now! dammit! oh well...

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:51 AM
(tabs) wrote:dont worry paulie......im not gonna ruin your baby like i said, ill have to see what i can come up with locally as for how i plan on handling it. but thats down the road a bit.

if i had a few extra hundred bucks, i found a rear quarter from a drop top on ebay. this is the second month its been listed, as it didnt sell last time. if i can scrounge up some extra cash i'd like to make them an offer of $100 and just drive up there and pick it up. but then i still have to pay to have it welded on, because even im not crazy enough to try to do that myself, and you guys know how i LOVE to cut on my cars lol.

btw paul....you talk to your parents about finding any of that stuff?

If you're a sweetheart maybe i can scrounge some of that stuff up for ya
shouldn't be too long before i get there...and i got some new speaker grilles you can snag up too

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:07 AM
youd be a doll baby if you helped me out. just a few misc odds n ends that paul didnt have room to bring out to NE with him. i think he said there was the stock front bumper, import fighter sides, the sides pieces for the convertible boot. maybe one or two other small things, but nothing else i can think of.

are you headed home, like, now? as in for good? or just a visit?

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:28 AM
not right now...

and thats my stock bumper from the good ol 02

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:37 AM
no its not..jayvan has that this is the original bumper to the car in green

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:45 AM
oh...slut lol

still...i could probably take care of some of that for ya
and that looks pretty damn good in green.. forgot to say that the first go round

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:53 AM
Woot!! Looks great. Glad Paulie sold it to ya. Looks like you are going to get it looking the way it is supposed to pretty quickly. Good stuff

Go Go OG Traction!!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:33 AM
That left rear quarter is the only thing that scares me. I would recommend welding a new one in, not

just hammering/bondo-ing it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search