I have alot to learn. - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I have alot to learn.
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 6:50 PM
I have just gotten on this website and reading some of this stuff you guys are saying, I have no idea what you are talking about.
It will all come in time I suppose.

Re: I have alot to learn.
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:50 AM
its all right we all gotta start out somewere if u ever need help there some @!#$ and some predecent people on here just chime in im sure someone will help u out and us mid east ppl are all a pack and help whoever so

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:04 AM
Yup, hang in there.. Plenty of stickies on the top of each forum that are very helpful..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:45 AM
u also need 2 fill your profile out more so ppl know were your from? it helps

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:00 AM
Ok. I think I got it pretty much filled in now.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:01 AM
yea u have some nice ppl up there 2 back u

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:48 PM
Cool, we have the same bday

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:34 PM
Cool. I havent seen to many cavys around here, except for a yellow LS and a black Z24.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:00 AM
what, if any, plans do you have in mind?

Welcome!

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:04 PM
Was just doing the basic stuff now, cold air, header and exhuast.
Planned on forced induction. Thats where one issue is, turbo vs supercharger.
I have heard turbo is better but never given a reason.

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:37 PM
a turbo will generally net you more power, but its more volatile and requires more tuning. you can also usually put together a boneyard turbo, whereas the supercharger pretty much needs to be application specific. but turbo kits are usually more expensive than a s/c kit.

coming back in 2008...

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:17 PM
hey man everyone will go back and forth about the infamous SUPERCHARGER VS. TURBOCHARGER battle. It's basically a matter of OPINION and personal preference. There is no right or wrong choice here. Some choose based on power wanted, knowledge, available funds, experience, etc. Its what you want, not what someone else has. they both have their pros and cons....

all depends on the power you want and the amount of money you care to spend to not only make it fast, but make it last.

first things first, go with the usuals - intake, header and full exhaust.....also consider things that dont ADD hp but FREE EXISTING hp you already have such as upper and lower motor mounts, auto tranny mounts, and if you have the 4 speed automatic (PRND321) you can also buy a B&M electronic shift improver.....

like I said above depending on the amount of power you want can change the whole look of the project, so that's where I would start if I were you.

hope it helps a little...

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:42 PM
Tha01cav wrote:hey man everyone will go back and forth about the infamous SUPERCHARGER VS. TURBOCHARGER battle. It's basically a matter of OPINION and personal preference. There is no right or wrong choice here. Some choose based on power wanted, knowledge, available funds, experience, etc. Its what you want, not what someone else has. they both have their pros and cons....

all depends on the power you want and the amount of money you care to spend to not only make it fast, but make it last.

first things first, go with the usuals - intake, header and full exhaust.....also consider things that dont ADD hp but FREE EXISTING hp you already have such as upper and lower motor mounts, auto tranny mounts, and if you have the 4 speed automatic (PRND321) you can also buy a B&M electronic shift improver.....

like I said above depending on the amount of power you want can change the whole look of the project, so that's where I would start if I were you.

hope it helps a little...

most helpful post i seen in awhile....props

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:29 PM
I was thinking turbo mainly cause it sounds cooler and makes more power if you let it make more boost.
I was looking into the under drive pulleys awhile back but didn't really know if they were any good. I wasn't looking to hard but only found the aem alternator pulley.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:31 PM
Tip.

READ READ READ before you post.

& NO we will not tell you how to swap a 350, SHO, or LS1 series motor .

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:11 PM
Oysterxfast5 wrote:I was thinking turbo mainly cause it sounds cooler and makes more power if you let it make more boost.
I was looking into the under drive pulleys awhile back but didn't really know if they were any good. I wasn't looking to hard but only found the aem alternator pulley.

as far as pulleys go, check this link out....MD-LD9 who is a member on here has a group purchase on lightweight alternator and crank pulleys for your car...definitely a good guy to do business with.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=50&i=32608&t=32608

I understand you think a turbo sounds cooler, but there is sooooooooo much more that comes into play than sound...here, answer a few questions so we can better help you..

1. What kind of power do you want? give us a HP number you would like to achieve?

2. Is this a daily driver or do you have another way of getting around?

3. Estimate what kind of funds you would have to feed this project?

DroptopPaul wrote:most helpful post i seen in awhile....props

thanks man.....I appreciate that

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:51 PM
Thanks for the link.
1. I was think around 250-300 if that is do able. I have seen some on here that seem to be getting that but i don't know what all they have put in it.
2. I have another car to drive
3. Could tell you the amount I have cause not alot right now. I was planning on doing this later down the road. Probably after I am 18.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:22 PM
ok thats cool man, we have a start.

250-300hp is VERY doable...with both a Turbo and S/C...since you have a while before you turn 18 (next Dec) you can take this time to do the following.

1. Read about boost, what it is, how it works, and as much info as you can about it....both Supercharging and Turboing.
2. Get your hands dirty. Do mods to your car, take things off and apart to see how they go together and get some experience.

Also depending on the amount of miles on your engine, you may buy a spare block and build it a little at a time. thats the best way to learn is to do it yourself. There are people that don't have a problem with helping and giving opinions, so don't hesitate to ask. All we ask is that you don't start a bunch of different threads with questions.....stick to just a couple...like this one, any questions you have ask them and we can help......

we all had to learn at one point man so don't feel bad, and there's no such thing as a dumb question....

later,

Dave

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:47 AM
The engine only has 32,000 on it right now. Don't drive it to much, put about 10,000 on it in 4 or 5 years. I store it in the winter to keep it clean.
Yeah I do have about a year and a half to save up some money and research a bit.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:07 PM
Sorry about all of the excessive post. I was just trying to get my questions answered. I will stick to just posting on this one for now.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:12 PM
ok that engine is still a baby.... You should do the basic bolt ons and some other cheap mods...keep reading about boost and get as much knowledge as you can about it.....

that HP goal should be fine for you to achieve....have you considered getting forged internals? or were you going with stock?

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:19 PM
Hoping stock but I am sure I will have to upgrade the rods and pistons. Thought about that cam swap.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:27 PM
tha01cav is helping out alot. its nice to see someone helping out 4 a change

13.1 @ 115
Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:57 PM
Oysterxfast5 wrote:Hoping stock but I am sure I will have to upgrade the rods and pistons. Thought about that cam swap.

going for 250-300hp on stock internals is possible, but I say since you have a while before you turbo it, you might as well invest in forged rods and pistons. I would say the stock crank is fine for that amount of power.

Me personally, I would suggest you buy a spare engine, tear it down and just start building it from the bottom up.. You can put a turbo on a stock engine, but once you get it on there you are going to want to go more...so I definitely recommend forged internals at least....that way if you do decide to up the boost you know the engine can handle it, and you wont have to tear the engine apart to strengthen it up....

look around at a junk yard to see what 2.4s go for so you can get an idea....get the same year engine to be safe ....thats the start...and its so much easier when you build a spare on the side...

Michael Barr wrote:tha01cav is helping out alot. its nice to see someone helping out 4 a change

thanks man, just trying to return the favor of people helping me when I first got into it....

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:23 PM
Thanks for all of the help you guys. It wouldn't really matter how many miles the spare has would it. If I were to be changing out rods and pistons.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search