Best Header for a 2.4 TC - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best Header for a 2.4 TC
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:05 AM
I haven't looked too hard cause I wont be getting it for a few months, but what is the best header to get? I have looked at the RKSport one and the pacesetter. I like the RKSport but don't know if it is any good or not. Just like to have your opinion. Also would the RKSport exhaust be any good or do I have to spend a little bit more money?
http://rksport.com/main/part_detail.asp?itemid=530&appid=108&mdid=2&catid=3
http://rksport.com/main/part_detail.asp?itemid=543&appid=108&mdid=2&catid=3

Re: Best Header for a 2.4 TC
Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:25 PM
Does no one go this route or am I not being patient enough?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:49 AM
DC Sports

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:11 AM
I had an RKS header and exhaust once (2.2 Eco) and I've read about the 2.4 RKS header and exhaust...and I've not heard a lot of good things...I have nothing good to say about my Eco system either.

I'd say look at PaceSetter and/or DC Sports. Also, there are several knock off headers for the 2.4 that rival the RKS system that are just as good but not as expensive.

Another route is IPerformance too...that is what I run on my Eco now. It's expensive!!! But I love it and have no problems what so ever!!

Do a few searches in the PERFORMANCE section for 2.4 and header and exhaust and take a look and read the thoughts of other folks to see what works and doesn't work good.

In the end...you only want to do stuff like a full exhaust once...so be patient and get exactly what you are looking for/want!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:20 AM
FYI - Pacesetter is RASPY...

Yes, it's my REAL car. No, it is NOT photoshopped or "this is how my car will look someday". It's the REAL DEAL.
Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:54 AM
http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1588+917
So I found a dc sport and it is cheaper, but the application thing is weird. It says the years but the only one that goes up to my year are the bottom two, but it says base and ls. Is it the same or will it not work on my 01 2.4? I don't see why it wouldn't work, same engine.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:04 AM
Just looked at the IPerformance I don't think $659 will be happening.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:20 PM
Skylar Kelly wrote:http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1588+917
So I found a dc sport and it is cheaper, but the application thing is weird. It says the years but the only one that goes up to my year are the bottom two, but it says base and ls. Is it the same or will it not work on my 01 2.4? I don't see why it wouldn't work, same engine.
Well the 99.5's and up 2.4's don't use EGR so the header doesn't have a passage for that. You can use the older ones, but you would need to use a 2000+ gasget to make sure you are not leaking from the header. It is kinda hard to understand, but they changed a few things over then in those years, but just use 2000+ gasgets on the older headers if you want to use them. I would buy a 2000+ 2.4 header, but that is just me.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 2:32 PM
sounds easier to get a 2000+.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:39 PM
Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:10 PM
just to clear this up.... if you have a turbo you don't use a header.....you use a Turbo manifold....not sure what brand is best....

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:36 PM
Skylar Kelly wrote:Just looked at the IPerformance I don't think $659 will be happening.

I used one for a while. Its a pile of crap. Way to expensive and it didnt exactly hold up as a performance part should. Last header I used was a OBX egay knock off. Loved it, and if it wernt for the fact I will be having a custom made for my 2.3 head I would get another.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:02 AM
Tha01cav wrote:just to clear this up.... if you have a turbo you don't use a header.....you use a Turbo manifold....not sure what brand is best....

that was random, or maybe i missed something lol.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:17 AM
he's lookin at buying a header....but he's also talking about putting a turbo on the car.....he shouldnt waste money on a header if he knows he's gonna put a turbo on it

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:43 AM
The turbo wont be for awhile. Probably a year or more till that happens if it even does.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:19 PM
thats cool....If you do want to go ahead and do a header and exhaust you can......you can keep the header you get if you decide to go S/C.

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:17 PM
That is one thing i am debating, turbo or super charger. I have some research to do.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:59 PM
I will tell you that a S/C will cost less for your application, and you can use ALL the mods you have done to your car when you put it on....it's less maintence, easier to install, and very capable of helping you see 250-300hp...

im not trying to sway you in any way, just some useful info...

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:20 PM
Does seem more practical to keep what I have now and get a supercharger. not really wasting money that way. I dont see a need for more than 300hp. Its not like I am street racing or taking it to a strip.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:34 PM
Can someone clarify this for me.
http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1588+917 (its the 386)
it says for engines 99-02 but it says for base and ls model, but it says its for a 2.4L. Will it work?

Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:18 PM
if you are talking about the DC sports header, yes it will fit your engine...the trim of the car (Base, LS) just means whether or not it has power options like windows, door locks..

when you look for stuff for your engine, as long as its for a LD9 and vin code "T" it should work....

just to let you know man, I cant justify buying a $386 header....you would be just as good to buy a ceramic coated Pacesetter header.

PS....you are redoing the whole exhaust right?

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:09 AM
So the pacesetter is just as good? I was doing cat back too, don't know which one yet though. Wouldn't be to smart just to do a header and leave stock catback.

Monday, December 31, 2007 8:47 AM
correct, if you do the exhaust, do it all....

* header
* high flow cat
* custom tubing with mandrel bends not crush bends
* good length muffler

with your plans to go boost later on, I recommend 2.5 inch exhaust....

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:26 AM
What would be a good after market cat back kit? I was looking at the borla but decided that it is a little to pricey. I see pacesetter has a cat back for my car too.
If you have a link to a good cat back or can tell me a brand that would be help full.

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:12 PM
instead of buying a catback system, you can go to an exhaust shop and have them quote a price on a custom mandrel bent catback system.

tell them you will supply the header/ downpipe, cat and muffler, you just need tubing..

not sure on specific kits, I am having mine made custom.

PROUD MEMBER OF JBOK.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search