IU has a bucket - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IU has a bucket
Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:08 PM

No, it's not hardly OSU contending for the national title, but it's still worth mentioning that Indiana defeated Purdue Saturday night to regain possession of the Old Oaken Bucket, and more importantly, go to 7-5 on the season, making them likely to play in their first bowl game since 1994.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled Buckeye arguements.......

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more

Re: IU has a bucket
Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:20 PM
yeah hoosiers!!! i wanna see them in a bowl.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 9:06 PM
good for you guys. care to explain the old oaken bucket for those of us too lazy to copy and paste to wikipedia?

Sunday, November 18, 2007 11:13 PM
(tabs) wrote:good for you guys. care to explain the old oaken bucket for those of us too lazy to copy and paste to wikipedia?

so what you're trying to say is....its such a weak award...no one knows what it is? call me when you're competing for something meaningful. It's a down year for us...only a rose bowl visit....oh, and still in the title hunt too

Monday, November 19, 2007 4:53 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:
(tabs) wrote:good for you guys. care to explain the old oaken bucket for those of us too lazy to copy and paste to wikipedia?

so what you're trying to say is....its such a weak award...no one knows what it is? call me when you're competing for something meaningful. It's a down year for us...only a rose bowl visit....oh, and still in the title hunt too

do you have to be a tool?

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/miscellaneous/60612/

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:30 AM
Congrats Hoosiers

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, November 19, 2007 5:58 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Congrats Hoosiers

he's a better sport then me

Monday, November 19, 2007 6:53 AM
Do you know what this team has been through Paul?? I'm niether an IU or Purdue fan, but the story of this team is remarkable. Why don't you show some class and respect for once and get your tounge out of Ohio State's ass. While not surprised, I am pretty disappointed.

Why are you even in here? I thought you moved away?

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:05 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:

Did moving to Nebraska turn you into a tool Paul? Or does football season just do that to you? Cause it sure seems like it to me.

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:17 AM
wtf that was my first attempt at the post

how did that get there?

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:23 AM
Oh cut the Gator-chomped pedo some slack. Besides, basketball season is upon us and the Buckeyes are due for a drubbing.

Ben: The Old Oaken Bucket has been the trophy given to the winner of the IU/Purdue game since 1925. The bucket derives from the Samuel Woodworth poem "The Old Oaken Bucket", which has nothing directly to do with the state of Indiana, but contains imagery and sentiment that many people feel about the state. The actual wooden bucket is an actual well bucket taken from central Indiana and allegedly dates to the 1880s. Each year, a brass "I" or "P" is added to the chain anchored to the bottom of the bucket, depending on the winner of the game.

To give some of the backstory, which ESPN is supposedly working a feature on, the IU football program is often shadowed by their basketball program and failed to have both the tradition and stature that hoops has built up over the years. In the summer of 2005, Miami (OH)'s Terry Hoeppner was named head coach. At the time, I was preparing to graduate. At his initial press conference, he was nearly laughed out of the state by myself and the rest of the student body by claiming that his ultimate goal was the Rose Bowl. He established what many believed impossible at a "basketball school", traditions and pride in the football program, such as "The Walk" (players marching to the locker room through the crowds of tailgaters, who never previously made it into the stadium) and "The Rock" (a 2-ton chunk of Monroe County, IN limestone placed in the south end zone, touched by every player and coach (think ND's "Play Like A Champion Today" sign). It all sounds hokey and fabricated, but it stuck. People actually wanted to watch IU football, and, ocassionally, they were actually winning. He never wavered in his goal, and at the end of his second year, IU's 5-7 record (their best in 7 years) wasn't an accomplishment but a dissapointment. Unfortunatly, Coach Hep succumbed to an 18 month battle with brain cancer on the day that IU broke ground on a $4M stadium renovation that he spearheaded. This season was a tribute to his goal to "Play 13", a simple first step in building a program: merely getting back to a bowl game for the first time since 1994. This win cemented that, and in front of Memorial Stadium's first sellout since 1989.

And, as I said before, is it as big a news item as a national title? No. In the grand scheme of things, is a 7-5 record in the B10 something to brag about? No. But it feels damn good to have December football to look forward to.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more

Monday, November 19, 2007 9:35 AM
ok...I'm a hardcore bucks/football fan. I talk trash, because thats what competition is all about. but since I seem to be misunderstood, I'll clarify some things.

a 7-5 season is a HUGE turnaround for this hoosiers football team. No doubt their basketball team has made the big ten proud to have them representing. Now all of a sudden, they have a football program too, a successful one at that. I love hearing of turnaround teams, such as the hoosiers. They showed life at the end of the season last year, and improved even further this year. Now I was unaware of that press conference mentioning the rose bowl, (obviously, cuz no one really paid much attention to the hoosier football program) Well, they've got everyone's attention now. Hopefully this just leads to better recruitment classes and an even better season next year.

I probably came off as a tool because it was Zliner's thread, and we go back, and we constantly battle each other all in good sportsmanship. It's what sports is all about and being a fan of said sport. I made pokes at him, and notice he wasn't hesitant to drop in a gator-chomp. He knows EXACTLY how bad that burns the soul of every buckeye fan in the country. Its sports, its all in fun, and at the end of the day, I personally have no problems with any of you guys. I apologize if I've offended anyone, but trash talking in football season is what I do.

oh...and about that basketball season....where's that freak oden guy? I have a feeling we're REEEALLY going to miss him. We got some guy from just outside my hometown that broke all of lebron's scoring records in ohio playing for ohio state this year. But, he did it against a bunch of farm schools, not all the cleveland schools where the real talent is. How he does on the next level? Who knows....but I'm not expecting another title run, thats for certain lol

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:15 PM
im a Notre Dame fan. That poor sad team

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:40 PM
Michael Barr wrote:im a Notre Dame fan. That poor sad team

amen lol i like weis....hope he does better lol

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:02 PM
zline: great explanation. even better story. good to see you guys have some pride in your team and your school. even though not on the level of yours, i can respect what youre feeling, after all i'm a mountaineers fan. our team was decent (but never respected) under nehlen, but under rodriguez we've really been able to see it grow and prosper....to the point that we might finally vie for a national championship this year...! a HUGE accomplishment for our backwoods, podunk school, even if we still dont get the same amount of respect as, say, that cess pool in columbus.

hell, if we won the title by some miracle....all of morgantown will be on fire. no, like seriously.....everyone will bring their couches out and start burning them and it'll end up like chicago in the 1800s....the whole place is gonna burn to the ground! that place is wild enough on game nights (they take being named the #1 party school in america seriously) so it would be like the bowels of hell itself, only with more drinking, hot girls, and sex!

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:11 PM
hey..i haappen to like that cess pool in columbus..

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:23 PM
yeah....i figured id toss a little barb in there for you since you like to talk smack

btw.... lovin the sig

Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:32 PM
thanks

and i gotta chime in...i just enjoy the title of the thread

oh and, WV gets plenty of hype, and i give them respect. they have/had 2 heisman hopefuls. which is plenty more than what other schools can say

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search