something crazy I think - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
something crazy I think
Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:08 AM
I had my car in to get the deer damage fixed, and while it was in the shop. the body guy called the insurance to check on the eyelids I put on. the insurance called the OSHP. they came out and looked at the hood. Where upon they informed me that my hood was illegal and I could not get it replaced. FURTHERMORE, if I am found to have a hood modified in the same manner, my car will be impounded. so, for a little while I have a stock hood. but I'm working on a hood to add eyelids to in the more traditional manner.

They informed me that ALL eyelids are illegal if they cover any portion on the headlight.

I think the only way around this is with the sunfire headlights, the top of the lights doesnt light, it's just a filler.

Just thought I'd share something that is pretty much BS, and isn't enforced unless someone is a pissy. seeing as the hood passed the roadside inspection and I got a sticker LOL

Re: something crazy I think
Saturday, August 12, 2006 4:49 AM
I bet the reason why is the guy couldn't do it right. Only thing I could think of.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 6:23 AM
^^ either couldnt or was to lazy and didnt want to..

Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:03 AM
isnt everything illegal these days???
Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:10 AM
Uhm.... thats BS. I'd run that bitch right over to the highway patrol building.... or call them, and ask them exactly what law it violates. Cuz I dont see how the eyelids will be an illegal mod. They dont cover the headlight.

Section 437.02 Lighted Lights; Measurement of Distances and Heights

(a) Every vehicle upon a street or highway during the time from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, and at any other time when there are unfavorable atmospheric conditions or when there is not sufficient natural light to render discernible persons, vehicles and substantial objects on the street or highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead, shall display lighted lights and illuminating devices as required by this chapter for different classes of vehicles; except that every motorized bicycle shall display at such times lighted lights meeting the rules adopted by the Ohio Director of Public Safety under RC 4511.521. No motor vehicle, during such times, shall be operated upon a street or highway using only parking lights as illumination.

(b) Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the distance from which certain lights and devices shall render objects visible, or within which such lights or devices shall be visible, such distance shall be measured upon a straight level unlighted street under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different condition is expressly stated.

(c) Whenever in such sections a requirement is declared as to the mounted height of lights or devices, it shall mean from the center of such light or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands.

Section 437.03 Headlights on Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles

(a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two headlights with at least one near each side of the front of the motor vehicle.

(b) Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlights.

The only other thing I found is that the headlights if making more than 300 candlepower need to be able to reveal people and object 75 feet in front of the car, as it would sit on the road. And if your headlights still show 1000 feet ahead, and you have all the required ones on the car.... I dont see why eyelids are illegal. I guess the cop would have to prove that the headlights are showing less than 1000 feet away.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:10 AM
it has nothing to do with being illegal the insurance company doesn't want to pay the bodyshop to remake them. I would take t to the highway patrol like shooff said and get it in writing that their legal and shove it up that adjusters a$$
Saturday, August 12, 2006 2:58 PM
^^^^What he said, Shove it up all there a$$e$.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:45 PM
You know what's wierd. There's a law that says your car must be equipped with an air filter.

Must be something to prevent engine fires, i'm assuming.

Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:15 PM
I'm just getting another hood to put on the car, and hang the stock one in the garage. Seeing as I got a roadside inspection and it passed, I'll just remake the hood, hang the stocker for winter use, and if the highway patrol finds an issue with me covering the top 1/2" of the headlights, they'll write me a repair warning, and I'll show them the car with the stock hood LOL

it's not illegal, the insurance company didn't want to pay the shop the $1000 they wanted for the custom eyelid fabrication and finishing. I found that out today.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:47 AM
time to drop your insurance company and make sure they know why.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:31 PM
do you pay full coverage? i do and my insurance company said it covers ANYTHING... so...... if your paying full coverage i'd switch companys becuase they have to fix it....

Sunday, August 13, 2006 4:31 PM
Yep I got full coverage, they didn't want to cover anything other than stock. I'm looking for another insurance company, doubt I'll be able to match my current rates.

always gotta be screwed by someone, huh.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 7:08 PM
gotta read thru your policies carefully because full coverage doesnt mean EVERYTHING is covered, it means it covers certain things to certain extents. ever policy for every company is diffrent one policy may cover the repair of stock items only. others may repair aftermarket parts up to a certain extent. so check your policies and dont assume your are automatically covered on anything aftermarket.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, August 13, 2006 9:47 PM
it's more the thing that they told me that my eyelids were illegal, and mine were no lower than yours sndsgood. I just covered the portion of the headlight that doesn't light.

I'm just going to go with the traditional eyelids on my next hood. and if they pull me over....I'm showing them pix of everyone else's sunfires LOL

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:00 PM
check your policy but most companies will only cover what the car came with stock unless you pay extra for customization insurance and usually they only pay a limit to that. like i said it really depeneds on the company adn state insurance laws so check those because if the were supposed to cover custom parts and they didnt because they didn't want to pay, i smell a suit coming on.

Monday, August 14, 2006 12:09 PM
Hey, Hotbug, what company do you have anyway?

Caution: Redneck Posting
Monday, August 14, 2006 12:19 PM
dont do the traditional eyelids! i love yours there like sleepyeyes, very original. anyways suck about your ins company, best of luck to ya.

Monday, August 14, 2006 11:15 PM
Progressive, and thanks for the compliment. it almost makes me want to do them that way again...I already miss them.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:33 AM
hotbug1776 wrote:Progressive

Life seemed to get a lot better for me when I went from Progressive to Metropolitan. Minimum coverage at Progressive, or 6 bucks a month for 10x the coverage from Met. I think so.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:19 AM
hotbug1776 wrote:Progressive, and thanks for the compliment. it almost makes me want to do them that way again...I already miss them.

i used to use progressive, then they screwed me over so i dropped them.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:37 AM
yeah, other then being cheap i have not heard one good thing about progressive yet...there is a reason why they are so cheap, its b/c they suck...my girlfreind used to have them and i was driving with her in the car one time and got hit by someone. they were not going to fix the car b/c i was not on the policy it took arguing with them to decide other wise.....i later then went to my agent at statefarm and she told me that unless my car was reported stolen and in an accident that it wouldn't matter who was driving the car, they would fix it ...

so long story short pay the extra $$ and not have to deal with the crap

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:56 AM
Progessive, their problem is they ues just foriegn crap to fix their insureds vehicles. You pay for what you get form these people(progressive).

They are there to make $$$, nothing more...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:47 AM
hmmm, well, with all I want to do and have done to the car (not much yet LOL) I will need custom car insurance. I'll look into another provider as soon as I get the body kit on. No reason right now, I look completely stock *cries*

Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:28 AM
i am with allstate and my agent told me that if i have part numbers or pictures of EVERYTHING i install or do to the car its covered... but good luck man sucks that theywont fix it becuase of them being "illegal"

Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:15 PM
SiLvEr StRiPeY 04 wrote:Progessive, their problem is they ues just foriegn crap to fix their insureds vehicles. You pay for what you get form these people(progressive).

They are there to make $$$, nothing more...

That's odd... I have progressive and I love them. I've had my vehicle damaged a few times and they fixed it without any problems. My initial plan included $1000 coverage in aftermarket parts and I added on more coverage. I dunno why you're having problems, that sucks, but I've never had a problem with progressive paying to fix stuff on my car.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search