turbo or swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo or swap
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:36 PM
which do you guys think would be the cheaper, easier, and give me better performance. because my buddy said he as a turbo ( i believe its 70mm) or a 3800 (non supercharged) and i was wondering which one you guys think is better

Re: turbo or swap
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:23 PM
lol, Its up to you man its your car! I have a 2200 and its going i tried to build it and got sick of it. I'm a fan superchargers anyway.. to each his own... I been hearing the V6 swap isn't for the faint of heart...Custom brackets..and some insane wiring. Hey but neither is a turbo build... Do your research and decide...we can only give you our opinion... Good luck with whatever you decide...keep us posted.

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:02 PM
Red2.2cavi wrote:which do you guys think would be the cheaper, easier, and give me better performance. because my buddy said he as a turbo ( i believe its 70mm) or a 3800 (non supercharged) and i was wondering which one you guys think is better

If that's the compressor inducer size, you'll be hard pressed to spool it with a stock 2200...and you'll be nowhere near its efficiency range even if you do. To give you a scale, that is roughly the size of a GT42R.

A 3800 swap would be a better choice here...plus it's an easier platform to start from when you decide you want more power (and far more torque). There is reinforcement of the subframe required for the 3800 swap, though. If I remember correctly, Raven's first attempt at the swap ended up twisted the subframe.

If you want a near direct swap though, a 3400 is pretty darn close to "plug and play" with the 2200/2.2L OHV transmission (save for a few mounting differences and PCM wiring), from what I've seen.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:32 AM
are the 3400's more mod-able than the 2200? what are some cars its been in

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 5:58 AM
Probally roughly the same but its a bigger engine so your bolt-ons will make a bigger difference, do a search you wont be dissappointed in the numbers these guys are laying down
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:30 AM
I will never work on a FWD V-engine again. That's my input, and something you should think about.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:38 AM
may i ask why?

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:45 AM
OHV notec wrote:I will never work on a FWD V-engine again. That's my input, and something you should think about.

3400 aint bad in the 3rd gen J-body. Seems to sit a bit farther forward than it normally would in something like a Grand Am. I can reach around easy enough and get to the 3 spark plugs on the back side. Easier if the alternator is out of the way though. Down side is that it sits closer to the radiator, but nothing to worry about... i've had no cooling issues.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:56 PM
OHV notec wrote:I will never work on a FWD V-engine again. That's my input, and something you should think about.

That's a big 10-4

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search