swaping the ecotec head... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
swaping the ecotec head...
Monday, February 01, 2010 10:02 PM
hey guys is there any heads that can be swapped on a 2.2 ecotec? or whats the best build for the head? is it worth you think? I just am looking for some ideas

Re: swaping the ecotec head...
Monday, February 01, 2010 10:07 PM
patriot stage 1 or 2 heard or send a spare head off to a company MR2 or something and have them port and polish

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, February 01, 2010 11:38 PM
if I am going to spend $3000 into the motor and want to keep it n/a. what recommendations do you guys have?
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:00 AM
someone will be able to tell u the exact parts, but for 3000 i figure u could prolly pretty much literally rebuild the engine from the ground up with performance parts, ud have a nice lookin engine

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 5:14 AM
M2Race, Phil.

My personal head build for my eco is going to be a M2Race ported L61 head with .5mm GMR valves, 94lb Supertech valve springs, and comp blower grind cams.

219whp - I <3 whine

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:13 AM
no one likes the gmpp head thats based off the lsj casting (with already bigger ports and tons more material for a proper porting job)?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:44 PM
As i recall you can port the L61 head almost as much as the LSJ head. As for my choosing the L61, it was simple, i already have a spare complete L61 with 15k on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:02 PM

219whp - I <3 whine

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 1:49 PM
I'm just going on what squirl posted on ecotecforum

DaFlyinSkwirl;50898 wrote:
LSJ exhaust ports.. much more meat for port jobs

L61 has very large holes directly beneath the #2 and #3 cylinders so port jobs have to be done carefully, and more conservaitvely.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:03 PM
lsj has sodium filled valves, better for boost.

the valvetrain otherwise is the same across all variants.

port the head you have, send it to www.M2race.com
0.5mm oversized on the valves, stainless intake and inconel exhaust valves, 94lbs. springs are identical to the ones GMRacing uses.

the GMR stuff is more expensive than Supertech, but the specs as far as springs go are similar.
a lot of people are having luck with supertech springs and valves, but if you have the cash, go with GMR.

the patriot head isn't worth the money, it barely flows anything more than stock.. the M2R head flow numbers are a lot better, and at usable lift to (ie. less than .450)

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 2:33 PM
I had my lsj head done at m2 race great work and customer service and they can do an l61 head they might have one done they can sell you.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:20 PM
what kind of power gain are you getting from doing this work? my goal is 250 hp on a n/a

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:02 AM
I have no dyno sheets i can tell you it feels alot stronger. They did a dyno on a cobalt with exhaust and this head and made 50hp i just dont know how accurate that is.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search