finally started the tear down...pics of the custom cams... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
finally started the tear down...pics of the custom cams...
Friday, July 31, 2009 1:02 PM
so a while ago i bought the engine from streetsource in the classifieds. so far im pretty happy with what ive found. it seemed too good to be true...700 plus shipping for an engine with a ported head, knife edged lightened crank, forged pistons and eagle rods, 2.3 oil pump, and supposed 1200 dollar custom billet cams for a turbo engine.

i started to tear it down today and so far seems like i got everything i wanted the engine for. ive taken the timing cover and cams off, i can see the 2.3 pump swap and knife edged crank through the hole at the bottom where the timing cover was. im going to do a tear down to check bearings and such eventually but for now i have it as apart as i want it.

now for the part most people have been after me about....the cams. i do not know the specs on these cams just that they are supposedly high lift turbo cams for race applications. im still not sure if im keeping them or selling since these are the one thing i wasnt after when buying the engine. now on to the pics.....

to me they appear to be recast stock cams, not one off billet. you can see where material was added and the casting numbers are the same as my 95 intake cam.

you can see the difference in the cams and the added material. these definitelty have a great deal more lift.

the half moon for the cam sensor

the hex end for the powersteering

and last but not least...the most exciting part for me is that the lifters appear to be 35mms which means i wont have to spend 230 plus boring out my cam towers for my build

if i do sell the cams i do have the lifters packaged and in origional order to go with them. more pics to come eventually.

Re: finally started the tear down...pics of the custom cams...
Friday, July 31, 2009 1:31 PM
Oooooohhh pretty cams! Ill trade you some ho cams for them hahah

Badass. I wanted that motor, you got a hell of a deal! This going in your 01 z?

Friday, July 31, 2009 1:44 PM
hahaha nice offer but i already have a set of ho's yeah this was a good deal, cant believe no one jumped on it before me lol. ima put the bottom end in my 01z with he 086 head and the ported head on my 96 vert. i think im going to end up selling these cams. part of me thinks the hybrid would be fun boosted but id really like a set of 2.3 crane cams or hg2s to put in the engine and see what i can do naturally aspirated for a while.

Friday, July 31, 2009 8:57 PM
does any one know how to measure the duration of the cam? if im going to sell them that would be usefull information.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:12 AM
Lifters come with them? Im in the process of building a motor for boost so if you can find out more specs on the cams they would be a nice addition to my build over the ho cams.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 6:26 AM
hmmmm...

when kris always said 'billet' cams i assumed them to be exactly that.. one piece BILLETS, these are not. i have never seen something like this done in my life, nor heard about it.

im going to do some asking around and see whats up with this process.

definitely get them life and duration checked.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:50 AM
icemike89 wrote:Lifters come with them? Im in the process of building a motor for boost so if you can find out more specs on the cams they would be a nice addition to my build over the ho cams.

yes...i have the lifters and they are in the correct order. they are 35mm though not the stock 2.4 33mm.

zyaaaa wrote:hmmmm...

when kris always said 'billet' cams i assumed them to be exactly that.. one piece BILLETS, these are not. i have never seen something like this done in my life, nor heard about it.

im going to do some asking around and see whats up with this process.

definitely get them life and duration checked.

i had always heard him say that as well even when he sold me the engine. im not too bitter about it cus i bought the engine for the bottom end but still. and he wouldnt return my emails about the specs on the cams either. that made me think things were fishy about the whole engine. im glad i saw the knife edged crank and 2.3 oil pump swap through the little hole near the oil pan when i took of the timing cover.

i have read about cam grinding companies adding material to cams to regrind and from what i have read it isnt cheap which is why it isnt common. im going to call my machinist next week and see if he can get them checked. i wont know if im trying to sell the until i get those specs.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:50 AM
Yep I know the lifters are 35mm, what I plan to run either way with the ho cams. Already got the bored tower taken care of

Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:00 PM
Are those both (the regrinds) intake cams? Looks like they both have a CPS pad but the one for exhaust doesn't have a hex insert.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Saturday, August 01, 2009 9:02 PM
yes that confuses me also, they both have the cps pad but the exhaust one doesnt have the hex and the pin for the timing gear is in the correct spot for the exhaust cam. im thinking possibly someone made a cast of a 95 intake cam and reproduced these cams from that cast with extra material on the lobes and had it ground down? they confuse me thats for sure.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 9:29 PM
i do have a billet forged camshaft its a sbc one but looks similar

Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:26 PM
these are not billets.

they are obviously CAST. just look at the rough texture.

Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:45 PM
Those are "regrinds" in that they have welded material on each lobe to build them up then ground them down to whatever specs were ordered. A legitimate way of doing it, mainly to keep the base circle big enough to still work with the hydraulic lifters where if you were to just grind down the stock lobes they would become to small. Deffinetly not a billet cam. I kinda wonder why they used 2 intake cams though, but so long as the dowel pin for the cam gear has been positioned in the right spot, its no big deal. Seeing how they are custom, they could have moved the dowel to advance or retard the exhaust cam timing if they wanted.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:17 AM
Lemme know if you wanna get rid of those lifters.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:35 AM
^^^^ bad idea, dave.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:45 AM
Cavfan1 wrote:Those are "regrinds" in that they have welded material on each lobe to build them up then ground them down to whatever specs were ordered. A legitimate way of doing it, mainly to keep the base circle big enough to still work with the hydraulic lifters where if you were to just grind down the stock lobes they would become to small.

He's right. It's not that common anymore, but people building a V8 engine used to have custom cams done like this quite often. They just weld on top of the lobe, then machine the edges and regrind the cam. It used to be the cheaper way to go, or in some cases, the only way to go. now it's most likely only used when you can't find what you're looking for aftermarket.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 3:45 PM
well crap... where do we get it done then? with the eventual demise of all the quad family parts floating around we will one day be screwed for a cam option. i guess ho's will pretty much be an option but anything larger would just be a pipe dream.

Sunday, August 02, 2009 3:56 PM
If only someone had a set of .450 Rocket parts cams laying around they didn't need.....

oh! I do!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:48 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Lemme know if you wanna get rid of those lifters.

if i keep the cam i will have a new set of lifters for sale

Taetsch Z-24 wrote:If only someone had a set of .450 Rocket parts cams laying around they didn't need.....

oh! I do!

just out of curiosity what is the duration of those cams?

Sunday, August 02, 2009 7:55 PM
Zs Z wrote:

Taetsch Z-24 wrote:If only someone had a set of .450 Rocket parts cams laying around they didn't need.....

oh! I do!

just out of curiosity what is the duration of those cams?

From what I know, 232* or so.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:34 PM
those sounds like they would be fun. if you had the bottom end and valvetrain to handle the higher rpms. bet the sound pretty neat at idle too.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:51 PM
See, should have gotten a LD2/LG0!

I ran my LG0 with a stock motor and a Rocket Parts ECM\EPROM. (in my GTZ) it was fun

Ya, it was a little choppy... but it reved to 8 well, with stock LG0 valve springs.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:14 PM
haha i guess i have argued for the ld9 a bit too much. Sometimes top end power is more fun. Too bad my Z is an auto...even with a yank converter cams like those might be too much. but wow would it be neat.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 6:09 PM
well i have no news on dutation but these cams have .437 lift give or take a 32nd or so. i dont have a digital caliper. i need to find a machine shop that has access to a cam doctor to find out the duration. although being a dohc i wont know centerline or lobe seperation angle without a degree wheel, dial indicator, and an engine to turn over.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search