LD9 rebuild for turbo - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 rebuild for turbo
Friday, July 31, 2009 9:26 AM
So I am soon going to be ditching my mp45 and upgrading to a turbo. As the car is starting to leak a little oil around the pan I figure its a good idea to start getting my parts on their way in case something happens in the next month or so.

I was looking on the turbo tech racing site and see thay have a few parts for the LD9. Think they have a complete set of gaskets, valves/guides, pistons, rods, and head gasket. Wondering if anyone has run the TTR engine parts and how they are holding up. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the weisco 9:1 pistons, and the eagle rods. I am looking into doing a cam swap at the same time, but haven't decided if I am just gonna upgrade to the secret cams or do something a little more. I want to build for 400hp but my goals are only 300-350whp at this time. Wondering if someone knows/have heard of a company that makes good engine internals designed for performance. I am just in the process of searching and just wanted to get some input from other people with built LD9's. Anyways, any help would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll be seaching the internet.

Re: LD9 rebuild for turbo
Friday, July 31, 2009 5:19 PM
the valves/guides ttr sells come from a very reputable company called sivalves.com. i just recently had a set of their valve guides installed in one of my ported heads along with a set of their stainless steel valves.

i have 4 sets of their valves, from stock sized to 086 to 1mm over sized. ALL of them are of high quality. swirl polished and machined to perfection. i am anal so i polish the faces of mine and have them ground just to know for a fact they are good to go but really, they are ready to drop right in out of the bags.

as far as pistons go, its my personal opinion (from seeing first hand) the quality of diamond pistons is better than that of wiseco. however, wiseco makes a hell of a piston and looks are just looks. both sets of my wisecos came with coated skirts, my diamonds and another set ive seen did not.

rods, well just take a look at the builds on here. 99% of them have eagles and ive yet to see or hear of one failing. these really are a choice item. they hold up very well.

head gaskets- ive got three cometics. very nice pieces, ive havent yet run one yet so i dont know from first hand experience of their usable quality. but g'damn they certainly look sexy in the packaging. ive used fel-pros for years without issue.

cams-dont bother with those tiny ass secret cams. pm me if you'd like to talk about getting a set of ho cams in there instead. brandon fetter, skilz, karo and a whole slueth of other popular builds all used them and produced outstanding numbers.

as far as gaskets go fel pro or ac delco is where its at.

definitely be sure to do a 2.3 oil pump swap while your in there. pm me if you need any parts.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Re: LD9 rebuild for turbo
Sunday, August 02, 2009 4:25 PM
Thanks for the reply, helps me a lot. I think I have read in the past about another head that works well on the LD9? Can't remember what it was off of, its been a while since I have searched about engine upgrades. I called the place where I am gonna get my engine rebuilt and he figures around $650 to port and polish my head. Not sure if it would show wicked gains or not but I figure since its all apart I might has well get it done cause I'd probably kick myself for not doing it after I got the car back together. I will definately hit you up for some stuff when the time comes. I haven't decided on the turbo yet but thats really that last thing I am concerned about at this point in time. Anyways, I'll probably shoot u an email sometime when I am getting closer to start ordering parts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search