Can't shift into 2, 4, or R... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can't shift into 2, 4, or R...
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:36 AM
I was shifting into second, pretty hard, and I did not even get into gear. I stopped, put it back into first, and couldn't get into second. Is this a transmission problem? Or a clutch problem? Or...?

2003 Pontiac Sunfire
2.2L
Pacesetter Headers
Modified Intake
Full Exhaust
9.9 @ 70.19MPH 1/8MI.

Re: Can't shift into 2, 4, or R...
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:51 AM
i had that problem on the getrag in my fiero, had to take the tranny out and tear it apart there was a lock pin that had slid out of the mechanism that moved the gears into 2 4 and R and it had to be pushed back in used locktite so it would stay, not sure if that is your problem or not i dont have any more details because it was like 7 years ago, but tearing into a tranny is not easy i havent done it since then, and wouldnt want to
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:59 AM
Has happened to me twice now, both times has been broken shift cables. Take your center console out and move your shifter, you should see one of the 2 not connected.

Member of J-body of Michigan.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:01 AM
Shift cable

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:06 PM
if u buy after market kevlar cables from summit or jegs your problem will stop but theyl cost u like 300 bucksalso if u go to wreker yards and find a 95 baretta rip of out the shifter mechanism from there its a good solid piece not flismsy like the cav's and no plastic its all metal
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:49 PM
I just got finished checking everything out...my cable broke not under my shifter, but in the engine bay...

2003 Pontiac Sunfire
2.2L
Pacesetter Headers
Modified Intake
Full Exhaust
9.9 @ 70.19MPH 1/8MI.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:48 PM
95gtzspec2 wrote:if u buy after market kevlar cables from summit or jegs your problem will stop but theyl cost u like 300 bucksalso if u go to wreker yards and find a 95 baretta rip of out the shifter mechanism from there its a good solid piece not flismsy like the cav's and no plastic its all metal

It's the plastic connections that break not the cable itself. And he has a getrag not the isuzu tranny, so those options will not work.

Glad you got it figured out, mine always broke at the shifter not the trans. Either way not to hard to change, about 150 from a dealer, and 50 from a yard but be careful with a used set cuz it only lasted me one summer, the new set I have now has been good for this the 3rd summer.

Member of J-body of Michigan.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:05 PM
really wont work huh hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seems to me it will
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:27 PM
The guy in questions car uses a different shifter than your Cavy. So yeah 95gtzspec2 it quite possibly won't work. Plus, your profile is really funny to read. I have several LOL moments at your expense.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:48 PM
its ok u dont have to be ashamed that a canadians cavy on pushrods could out run ur twin cam dont cry i understand and as i might not know correct terms or how to decribe @!#$ in pro terms i know what im talking about and second i know my shiat and wich parts are u exactly loling at because i see nothing false about my info
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:52 AM
Quote:

Dream Car: my cavy on a 240 sx chasis

i laughed pretty hard at that. o, and you're a homo.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:11 PM
95gtzspec2 wrote:its ok u dont have to be ashamed that a canadians cavy on pushrods could out run ur twin cam dont cry i understand and as i might not know correct terms or how to decribe @!#$ in pro terms i know what im talking about and second i know my shiat and wich parts are u exactly loling at because i see nothing false about my info

your profile wrote:MODIFICATIONS

Engine:

* 2.2 ohv 5 spped 3" full magnaflow exhaust (off 06 dodge ram) magnaflow high flow cat pace setter header with flex coupler no spring bolts 3 1/2" k&n 77 series cai intake (off 06 dodge ram)
pix or gtfo.

Quote:

12 point 4 gauge ground sysytem
really? why? one or two would have been sufficient.

Quote:

p&P head bored intake manifold bored and honed tb
if done right, good deal. if done with a dremmel and no understanding of how the flow should be, you can do some seriously detrimental things in the head.

Quote:

E3 plugs
worst. plugs. ever. you're MUCH better off with the stock ac delcos.

Quote:

* accel super stock wires
* accel hei coils
completely unnecessary. the stock ignition on these cars is rather potent.
Quote:

dual 180 thermostats with watter wetter
DUAL thermostats? please tell me what you think this does.
Quote:

98 z24 rad
the ONLY difference in any radiators from 95-99 is whether its a manual or automatic radiator. good job, you replaced your radiator with... the same radiator.
Quote:

hayden electric fan controller
was a switch too complicated for you?
Quote:

fidanza billet aluminum flywheel centerforce dual friction clutch
for those mad tyte 6000 rpm drops at the light to get that civic in the next lane? i dont see the need for all that clutch.
Quote:

futuer mods - .065 dish pistons
* h beam rods
* reground cam
* balanced and polished crank
* ss chrome plated vales
* roller rockers
* bee hive springs
* 50 shot zex fooger system
all of which will put you at around MAYBE 175 at the wheels, including the n2o.
Quote:

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes:

* front mods spring clamps to allow 1" drop aluminum
way to completely negate any ride quality or handling your PROGRESSIVE RATE SPRINGS HAD.
Quote:

14x6" center line alloy rims 215 70's baretta gt sway bar energy suspension polyurethane bushings the rear is all factory
centerlines? i didn't even know they still made those.
Quote:

Interior:

* driver seat was lowerd 2 inches and put baretta uper halves on cavy seats shifter out of 95 baretta
why not just swap the whole seat? or even better yet, instead of hacking apart one of the most important safety features of your car, get REAL racing seats? mount them wherever you want, but mount them good so that you dont break your seat in half if you're ever in an accident.
Quote:

with b&m shift cables (blew out 3 sets of factory before these went in)
this sounds more like you dont know how to drive a stick thatn anything else. i had a set of broken cables on my car (the plastics were worn on all four ends) for six months and i never got stuck or missed a shift. to "blow out" three sets of NEW factory cables must have taken a MONUMENTAL effort, as in you had to have been trying to not shift properly.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:24 PM
Rich, remind me NOT to dis you.

Labrat
Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:05 AM
thank u for breaking down all of my specs on my car do u feel better about yourself now for mocking me or trying to interpretate what u think is wrong when my car is makeing descent passes as is and randizzle i accept the fact that u laughed at my 240 project but it is a reality and dude theres no way in hell that im a hommo im married with two kids and my wife is 5,4 and weighs 115 plbs with no stretch marks k and i make more money then u in a week putting siding on houses than u do in a mounth and my trophy vehcile from busting my ass every day aint no woman spec grand am its a 2006 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 5.7 hemi slt bought new at 46 grand so u wanna call people hommos buddy get a clue man loose 50 plbs clear the acne and get a job that pays

if it start the next day it can be driven harder
Friday, September 25, 2009 10:09 PM
Hey man, maybe you should know when to keep your mouth (figureatively) shut sometimes. You may have heard "It's better to sit quietly and be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it". If you haven't covered your bases, you shouldn't go expounding on topics as though you're an expert. Some stuff you have listed just doesn't make sense. Like stainless steel chrome plated valves. I have heard of stainless valves, but I don't get the chrome plate. Wouldn't that just chip off in your combustion chamber. Of course I am just assuming you meant valves since you misspelled it as "vales". Maybe that's what you meant, and you'll post a reply calling me an idiot. Although you probably don't want to take advice from someone, I would say that you shouldn't go on about your financial succes either. It is tacky. You may have a great career and do well for yourself, but I can guarantee you there is always going to be someone that makes more or "has" more than you, so it's pointless.

Also, about your truck, a 2006 Hemi Ram is a sweet truck. I'd like to have one in my driveway but I can't justify it. Especially at $46,000 when the MSRP on a 2009 version is $43,035 (and you got hosed if you ever pay MSRP). I hope it's not missing exhaust parts.

Take care man. Sometimes we learn a lot about ourselves from others. http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/dodge/ram-1500-quad-cab/2009/pricing-report?id=246179#survey
Friday, September 25, 2009 10:25 PM
Also, sorry dude, to not let this topic die. I find these types of forums to be really helpful for diagnosing my automtive problems. When someone posts something on here like: "really wont work huh hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm seems to me it will", how is that helping the poor guy with the problem? Those type of comments deteriorate these forums. Your blatently unconstructive comment is why (I think) some members of the forum started criticizing you. It pissed them off that you were "ruining" a good post. It seems like more and more these topics turn into people that have to one up eachother.

I forgot to mention in my last post that when you respond with something that sounds emotionally charged and you offer unrelated examples of superiority (good job or likewise), it shows that you have lost control at that point, and those that are "attacking" you are winning.

PS. I was obviously joking earlier, I'm sure you're Dodge has all it's necessary exhaust parts, because it would be just plain irritation for you and your neighbors otherwise.
Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:15 PM
95gtzspec2 wrote:thank u for breaking down all of my specs on my car do u feel better about yourself now for mocking me or trying to interpretate what u think is wrong when my car is makeing descent passe

post. time. slips. real scans, or even pictures. untill then, i still say, pix or gtfo.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:45 PM
95gtzspec2:

Please tell me you don't live anywhere near Saskatoon. If you do please leave! If you want to see how a real car is built I invite you over to have a look at what I'm building. Oh and your profile the part about 3" exhaust causing road scrap??? Get real I am lowered and have 2.5" where the muffler and tips are the lowest part. I don't scrap at all, if I scrap anything its the Z24 skirts. So please rehang that exhaust so I don't drive over shards of metal and mess up my new rims.

To the OP:

Good luck in getting it fixed. Listen to the credible guys on the forum and you will have great success. I know I have, the trick is to figure out who to listen to. Here's a tip, people WHO CAN'T SPELL (ie 95gtzspec2) are usually inept, very ignorant and should be passed over.

Whats up people?
Saturday, September 26, 2009 5:37 PM
That's really a strange set of mods.

As for "shifting hard" into any gear, if shifting takes any more than a gentle flick of the wrist, you're doing it wrong. Either your synchros are screaming in pain, or you've already killed them. Read up on how a manual transmission works.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search