help ! circle track 95 2.2 ohv needs more power ! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help ! circle track 95 2.2 ohv needs more power !
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:29 PM
Looking for hp improvement suggestions for my 95 single ohv 2.2 , I race it at a high banked 3/8 mile asphalt track but the damn ricers keep getting me on the straightaways but I smoke'em in the corners.
ofcourse it 's kinda got to be "stock" and it is a single cam only class.
any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks

Re: help ! circle track 95 2.2 ohv needs more power !
Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:46 PM
talk to bob guptill (sp), he does circle track and was in a v8 class and he was dominating in it. He did a whole motor build and has a thread either on this page or the next with a ton of info.

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:47 AM
ya just search for some of my engine threads we have done all forms on ln2 engines from hybrid 2.2/2200 motors to fully built with forged pistons and rods to stock with a little more

are you guys allowed to run race fuel?
Friday, March 27, 2009 9:29 AM
No Race Fuel Allowed,or maybe just a little I Guess a cam or electronics upgrade would be low key enough if ya have any suggestions.any of the roller stuff from the newer ohv engines increase anything, It had a fella tell me to install the pistons from my 02 ohv in the 95 ohv i'm running now ,guess it will make some sick compression but only for a short time before it goes boom.lol . any experience with this.

We came up with some killer suspension,wheel and tire setup's

thanks
Friday, March 27, 2009 11:31 AM
The piston swap is for race gas only.
You can get a cam regrind, and maybe swap in some other rockers. You can use the V6 1.6:1 rockers (requires new studs/balls/nuts), or the roller rockers from the newer engine (requires some machining, and not adjustable).

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Friday, March 27, 2009 5:00 PM
Your stock pistons have a .200 dish, these have a .065 dish, will give you about 11.5 to 1. You can run 93 octane pump gas. They are only $32 each.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=8&partnum=H851CP&a=FR8-H851CP
Friday, March 27, 2009 6:01 PM
Raymond Great idea , But is there any thing in the high 9's or low /mid10's they will check my compression after a win, I will loose an 11 to 1 fight for sure with the folks in tech. some of the hondas run 9's/low 10's and that is a pretty good argument.

Raymond ,Maybe slightly better pistons than stock
AND
a cam regrind w/ the rockers as suggested by OHV notec.

Bob that gen2 stock car is awesome, you have some great info posted but a bit extreme for our class,but it gives me some great ideas for the PRO 4's for next year. got something a little more tame.
We played around with a Boondocker nos kit from my Yamaha Apex on the car it was pretty Cool , we had a hard time hidding the blue flames and bottle though... lol.

now here is a few more questions.

I have a 02 ohv with the head shaved .030 and it is not reassembled yet.
*would this be a better engine to build than the 95 ?
*what cam grind should I use and from who?
*now these pistons are diff then the 95's (would the rock auto H851CP's still work)?

have at it ..this is a championship caliber car.

I'm a chassis guy ,I have an engine buddy that takes care of this stuff . but I have to give him the parts that will work.
I have 3 nissan S13's and 1 S14 that make between 140-160hp .
But I have this cavi set up so good that a fellow racer jokes about giving me the "Best Pass in the Grass" award it runs every where even in the infield if I have to us it.

Thanks for the AWESOME feed back, guys
Friday, March 27, 2009 6:16 PM
if i were you i would run the 02 pistons in the 95

you cannot run pump gas with this setup while racing... pump gas may take the compression on the street but not on the track running high rpm like we do

run race gas and pray they dont tech you... if they do tech you while you are pulling the rockers off for the whistler loosen the head bolts a little bit. also our local race track waits till the cars et cool to check the compression, if you track does that line up the grooves in the rings on a certain cylinder that will also bleed some ratio off

dont run anything of an agressive cam with the 95 computer it will not run right we have had a ton of problems with cams and the obd1 computer

i would do the 1.6 rockers but be careful if you use the 02 pistons as the clearence will be tight at about 10* atdc

heres a link to come pics of our stock style cavalier race car
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=280473861&albumId=1144725
Friday, March 27, 2009 6:52 PM
This shouldn't be too extreme.

Keep the '95 block and head. Zero deck the block. Surface the head .030". This should give you approximately 10:1 CR.

Take the cam out of the '02. Get it reground, intake duration of about 205*-210*, exhaust duration about 6*-10* longer than intake. Stock lobe centers. keep the valve lift to .470" with which ever rocker arms you choose. Sounds mild, which it is, but will idle near stock and give good off the corner torque and much improved straight away HP.
(If you want more lift, you'll need to get the CompCams 26981 springs, they fit stock dimensions/locks, retainers & seats. Max lift .525")

Get the ARPChevyy 60D V6 rocker arm studs (100-7201 M10 X 1.5 base, 3/8" X 24 top, used on the '97 & older 2.2s approximately $45 for a set of 12. 100-7221 Same as above, but in a two pack, approximately $12.) and a set of good aftermarket stock type steel rocker arms (non-roller) of ratio needed to keep with-in lift limits. A set of good chromemoley .080" wall 3/8" diameter pushrods that are approximately .040" shorter that the stock LN2s (to make up for the surfacing of the block and head). This set up will be nearly bullet proof and keep the correct valve train dimensions, to prevent damage.

A set of the +1mm valves will help a little too, if you think you can get away with stainless steel valves.

No single mod listed above will net any big gains, but following the above will net a decent gain across the stock rpm range, without being obvious.

Monday, March 30, 2009 7:35 AM
This Is great stuff Guys, Thanks for all the Help!! if ya think of anything else I'll be checking back every day or shoot me a PM.

I'll post a picture of my car and keep ya updated with race results when our season starts,

question, is the regrind cam the only thing worth swapping into the 95 from the 2002 at this point. we have the head shaved and it is still dissassembled , we where originally going to build this on for racing until we found out that the 95 made more hp.

or is there still hope for my mint 2002 2.2 ohv, I have the complete car. well except for the ripped off rt side anyways

Will the manual trans from th 02 work on the 95 auto or will this mess w/ the computers also. believe it or not my auto is faster than all the other stick cars.. but I'd like to try it with a lite weight clutch and fly wheel.

thanks again.
Monday, March 30, 2009 1:16 PM
Raymond Soos wrote:Your stock pistons have a .200 dish, these have a .065 dish, will give you about 11.5 to 1. You can run 93 octane pump gas.
Did you ever measure the dish volume directly? The dish also has a smaller diameter and larger fillet radius. When I cc'd the pistons, I calculated something like 14:1 with a zero-deck block.
Q33 racing wrote:Will the manual trans from th 02 work on the 95 auto or will this mess w/ the computers also. believe it or not my auto is faster than all the other stick cars.. but I'd like to try it with a lite weight clutch and fly wheel.
The tranny should swap fine.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Monday, March 30, 2009 6:15 PM
NOTEC,
You must be looking at the wrong pistons, the dish on the h-851-cp is the same diameter as the dish on a stock piston. We don't zero deck our blocks and we only take.010 off the head, just to clean it up. It actually comes out to less than 11.5 to 1. I'll TRY to post a picture tomorrow of them side by side. I say" try" because I'm not a computer whiz. But I did finally get the newspaper clipping of our 2007 results posted under " V-8 dominating LN2" . In those cars we have flat tops with SMALL valve reliefs and it only comes out 12.6 to 1.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:36 AM
Sorry NOTEC, the dish is a little smaller. The guy in the machine shop figured it @11.5 to 1 with my head and block. Could be a problem for others, as we do a lot of things with timing and fuel. I not going to post any more, because I don't want to cause other people problems. With our record I thought I could help others, but maybe this stuff we're doing is suited best for our application and there's more things to be factored in. Ray
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:42 AM
hey guys, how high of a compression do you think you could go with only going on pump gas(93 octane)
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 12:52 PM
in a race car now more then 10.5:1 for those just in case moments. street car can probably run 10.5 to 11 with a really good tuning setup

like raymond we also run our motors on the ragged edge of explosion and detonation but we have a really good fuel and timing tune that is done on a dyno
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search